Moving M8 heat exchanger to under seat

tyman212

Reaction score
I've got a 2011 crossfire 800 LTD and I hate how much snow builds up on the back of the tunnel and running boards. With the new 14s having the heat exchanger under the seat got me thinking into moving mine Forward. I'll have to get a piece of aluminum to block off the hole in the tunnel. If I remove the side exchangers going up the side of the tunnel is that going to remove too much cooling? I'm mostly riding soft snow and I have scratchers if I run into hard snow. Looking for any ideas or opinions on this idea.

magnet32

Reaction score
When I long tracked my M8 from 153 to 174 I didn't move my exchanger to rear of tunnel , had lots of over heat issues , had to move it back , I would think moving yours for ward would cause heat issues .

tyman212

Reaction score
When I long tracked my M8 from 153 to 174 I didn't move my exchanger to rear of tunnel , had lots of over heat issues , had to move it back , I would think moving yours for ward would cause heat issues .

That's what I'm worried about. Snow is kicked up at the back of the tunnel but not much in the middle. But how do the new m8s work without it at the rear?

tyman212

Reaction score
How much clearance would I need between the top of the track and the heat exchanger? If I move it forward there will be less than a half inch of space between the two. So I'm worried the track might slap up and rub on it. I might look into a thinner exchanger off of a different sled.

magnet32

Reaction score
I have CR tunnel on both my sleds nor 2.5" and 3" tracks . Rub marks on both tunnels under seat . Haven't looked close at new sleds but I think they run longer and on the doo's there part of the tunnel . I don't think you'll be able to do what your talking about .

tyman212

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to just wrap my tunnel in 3M vinyl to help the snow from sticking.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put some running boards on it so the slush will drop through easy fix to do best thing I ever done to my M8

tyman212

Reaction score
put some running boards on it so the slush will drop through easy fix to do best thing I ever done to my M8

I already ordered B and M boards. I'm really looking forward to those. But also was hoping to keep the snow from building up at the back of the tunnel. It piles up right behind the seat and then builds up along the rear bumper on the inside and outside of the tunnel.

craptabulous

Reaction score
Take a 09 cooler and put it sideways so that it is inline just like the heat exchanger pipes and then plum it into your existing . Its my plan for cheap extra cooling . Im even going to just buy a lh heat pipe for a shorter model so i dont have to mess around . Find what will work on arctic cats online parts thingy . Hopefully just a drill and some rivets will be the tools needed for this . I mocked it up last year on my 07 162

Last edited:

snowbuster

Reaction score
I went from 153 to 162 and then added a turbo, I was concerned the factory rear exchanger wasn't going to do the job, so I installed a cr racing custom U cooler and mounted it about 6" forward from the back of the tunnel. The only time it hasn't run luke warm was when my snow flap was being pulled under the seat, so in the middle of a ride I cut it off. On the trail back to the staging area (spring ride) it got a little warm. The lack of a snow flap was the problem. I don't have a temp gauge, but periodically putting my hand on the exchanger it never gets hotter than luke warm in all conditions. I also have some snow deflectors on the inside of my skis that shoot a little spray towards the skid.

Top Bottom