Moving from Alberta to BC??????

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I would love to live in BC.
Just the fact of sledding from your door step is amazing. We did it in blue river and parked the sleds behind the hotel, That was alot of fun. Although it sucked started my sled it was worth not having to load the trailer.

I have 2.02 Acres for sale in Valemount.:d:d:d With a mountain view.

Attachments

• valemount2007 004.jpg
    valemount2007 004.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 52
  • valemount2007 002.jpg
    valemount2007 002.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 51

CatCory

Reaction score
I'm torn I have house listed in alberta wanting to move to Prince George but will be leaving all friends and family behind as well as wife's good job not sure whats best

kavik

Reaction score
I'm torn I have house listed in alberta wanting to move to Prince George but will be leaving all friends and family behind as well as wife's good job not sure whats best

Hope you are moving to PG for a good job, or reasonable housing.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of yesterday I now own 25 acres and a log house up near Sun Peaks ski area in Kamloops. House in Ed is up for sale and as soon as it sells we're gone.

After a few years of driving 5 hours friday night, sledding saturday / sunday and then driving 5 hours back sunday night(if the weather is good) we finally decided enough is enough. Not that that was our only reason, just a good one.

We picked Kamloops after much deliberating. We love Golden or Invermere but just not enough going on for work. Kamloops is central, close to my parents, we can sled right from our driveway, I can highmark my front yard, great mountain biking. Blue River or Sicamous are accessable for a day trip. Town is a 25 minute comute (like living in St Albert and working in ED) I can go on and on.

It came down to this. . . moving there now is a lifestyle move not a career move. I don't care if I have to pick up dog ch!t for a living I just needed to be back in the mountains.

If anyone knows a company in kamloops looking for a 20 yr experienced production welding shop manager let me know.

Cheers

Michelle

you'll love the loops ,has everything to offer,winter ,spring,summer and winter again...

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more for good measure

View attachment 36498

Hey, congrats Chelle! Looks like a wicked place!

Did Dwayne ever get things set-up at Golden?

This thread has me looking around in B.C. With some of the places I'd love to live (Kootneys), my downpayment I've saved to buy a house this winter would pretty much pay it off. Nothing fancy, just a nice little house in a kick ass location...

*sigh*.

HARDCORE

Reaction score
lived in the interior on the island etc, and Ab can't hold a candle to it BUT the money is 10 fold in Ab imo

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey i moved down to the kamloops area about 3 years ago from fort crack, born and raised!

No doubt i miss the money cause there aint any here and any u make the gov has there paws on it, compared to ab anyway. The taxes blow here especially this HST crap thats comin and dont even get me started on ICBC, crooks. Got rid of my streetbike cause insurance was triple my ab fees.

BUT......on another note, i moved here knowing that i was leaving my life long friends, a good paying job and family and its still been worth it imo, the quality of life is so much better, from where i came from anyway. Worlds best sledding and dirtbiking all around me, 12 acres, river view!

There was a transition period for sure but the sacrifices i can handle, just stay in touch with old friends, made new ones. Now family has a nice vacation spot so i still see them just not as often.Hopefully u can save enough to do well here and eventually land a good job or biz.

i cant see myself ever going back to live there! im lovin it here these days, well except maybe a little commuting back to the hometown to stack some dough once in awhile lol one thing i gotta say AB has got over BC:beer:

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Well we now have an offer on our Ed house so we hope to be at the new place for new years. Hey PS we're up at Knouff. I'll pm you when we get to town and maybe you can show me some local knowledge. The crazy part is that my house in Ed sold for a lot more than my 24 in the Loops. Now to find a job.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we now have an offer on our Ed house so we hope to be at the new place for new years. Hey PS we're up at Knouff. I'll pm you when we get to town and maybe you can show me some local knowledge. The crazy part is that my house in Ed sold for a lot more than my 24 in the Loops. Now to find a job.

you got yourself a fun little playground in your back yard.:beer:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i ride my bike by the knouff lake resort from time to time its probably a 15 min ride from my house if im rootin on it,,,,,nice area for sure

DTR

Reaction score
Hello all!

I just wanted to thank you all for you input on this post. It took several years of research to make this descision......I'm moving to Cochrane!

I have now removed over 6 hours of driving to BC. I look forward to leaving after work on friday, getting in 2 days of riding and being back on my couch sunday night. No time off work!

Thanks again to all who suggested to chase my dreams!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in fort mac, Had a great job as a foreman at aurora with Chemco, makin chit loads of cash. the day after my sons doctor said we should move away to better his health I was on a plane to buy a house in Kelowna. 6 years later, his health is great, our quality of life is great, and my bank account sucks. hard to get ahead here, thats why i started my own company, but even that is no picnic. The wages in the okanagan valley dont support the cost of living at all, so unless your lucky to be in health care, BC hydro, fortis, or something like that you will be hard off. Unless you happen to sell your alberta home and come here and buy a new house with little to no mortgage. Now i know this is the valley im talking about, not all BC is like this, but then again not all BC is as nice as the valley. I like under 2 hours to revy, an hour and a bit to sicamous, hour to big white, I stare at beautiful lakes everyday, eat more fruit then you can shake a stick at, and really I can go sledding, ice fishing, boating all in one day. 12% tax sucks, transfer tax sucks, but it sure is nice not having to deal with the fast pace of alberta anymore. who knows I might move back to alberta one day if I really have to, but this stage of my life is making sure my wife and kids have it good, and right now we are getting by.

my oldest son has downs syndrome, when he was a month old, his lungs collapesed, he was aspirating milk into his lungs when he was eating. we had to tube feed him, first through his nose, then his belly until he was 2. the air quality and weather in fort mac made things very hard for him, and was always in the doctor or emergency room. that being said, having/getting a doctor or going to the hospital in fort mac 6 yrs ago was no easy task, and now days its even worse. we have a family doctor here we can get in every day, we have a dentist we can see when we want, many walk in clinics all around, so it makes things easier for us. not to mention there is more programs for him here as well, physio, speech therapy and so on. those are my 2 cents about moving.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in fort mac, Had a great job as a foreman at aurora with Chemco, makin chit loads of cash. the day after my sons doctor said we should move away to better his health I was on a plane to buy a house in Kelowna. 6 years later, his health is great, our quality of life is great, and my bank account sucks. hard to get ahead here, thats why i started my own company, but even that is no picnic. The wages in the okanagan valley dont support the cost of living at all, so unless your lucky to be in health care, BC hydro, fortis, or something like that you will be hard off. Unless you happen to sell your alberta home and come here and buy a new house with little to no mortgage. Now i know this is the valley im talking about, not all BC is like this, but then again not all BC is as nice as the valley. I like under 2 hours to revy, an hour and a bit to sicamous, hour to big white, I stare at beautiful lakes everyday, eat more fruit then you can shake a stick at, and really I can go sledding, ice fishing, boating all in one day. 12% tax sucks, transfer tax sucks, but it sure is nice not having to deal with the fast pace of alberta anymore. who knows I might move back to alberta one day if I really have to, but this stage of my life is making sure my wife and kids have it good, and right now we are getting by.

my oldest son has downs syndrome, when he was a month old, his lungs collapesed, he was aspirating milk into his lungs when he was eating. we had to tube feed him, first through his nose, then his belly until he was 2. the air quality and weather in fort mac made things very hard for him, and was always in the doctor or emergency room. that being said, having/getting a doctor or going to the hospital in fort mac 6 yrs ago was no easy task, and now days its even worse. we have a family doctor here we can get in every day, we have a dentist we can see when we want, many walk in clinics all around, so it makes things easier for us. not to mention there is more programs for him here as well, physio, speech therapy and so on. those are my 2 cents about moving.
I had a few of the same reasons for movin too, good to hear ur oldest is doin better now, and ya that property transfer tax is a joke. Was born and raised there as well and left in 06. We ve probably ran into each other a few times if ur anywhere around 30 or at least know alotta the same people. I was a thickwood kid, westview, westwood.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a few of the same reasons for movin too, good to hear ur oldest is doin better now, and ya that property transfer tax is a joke. Was born and raised there as well and left in 06. We ve probably ran into each other a few times if ur anywhere around 30 or at least know alotta the same people. I was a thickwood kid, westview, westwood.

ya im 29, st pauls, father beau, st johns father merc, then keyano. i dated a girl from westwood all through high school

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:I posted this question a few months back....glad to see someone else is thinkin about it as well! :)

I am heading over to Salmon Arm and Vernon tomorrow for a couple weeks to check things out. Schools, houses, rec centers, etc, etc. We are from the Kootenays and the Shuswap originally and moved to Alberta 12 years ago but I am still totally wondering if moving to BC is a good idea at all. After being in the blue skies and sunshine all winter....not sure if a socked in grey winter is going to be do-able. So the plan is to rent for a year....to live through a winter there, and THEN sell next spring IF its something that we want to do. Bad time of year to make the decision now.....who wouldnt want to live in the Shuswap for the summer lol. Salmon Arm is my first choice by far.....but will also consider the outskirts of Vernon or Coldstream. It will depend on where we find a good acreage.

Decisions decision!!!

Top Bottom