Mountain Equipment Co-Op

motomike450r

Reaction score
I didn't know much about this company except what I have read on this site, all negative about snowmobiles in the back country. So, being the fair minded person I am I wrote them and asked if what I read was true. Here is their "official" response:

Thanks for writing to info@mec.ca

Directed by the members, MEC fulfills its core purpose – to help people enjoy the benefits of self-propelled wilderness-oriented recreation. We do that by selling outdoor gear, clothing, and services.

That being said, MEC does not stand against snowmobile – This activity simply does not fall within our mandate.

To sum up, security remains MEC’s biggest concern in the backcountry, whatever activity our members are involved in.

Best regards,

Emilie Plante

Service Centre

zonker892

Reaction score
I didn't know much about this company except what I have read on this site, all negative about snowmobiles in the back country. So, being the fair minded person I am I wrote them and asked if what I read was true. Here is their "official" response:

Directed by the members, MEC fulfills its core purpose – to help people enjoy the benefits of self-propelled wilderness-oriented recreation. We do that by selling outdoor gear, clothing, and services.

That being said, MEC does not stand against snowmobile – This activity simply does not fall within our mandate.

To sum up, security remains MEC’s biggest concern in the backcountry, whatever activity our members are involved in.

Best regards,

Emilie Plante

Service Centre

Myself I really like MEC, they sell awsome products

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Best regards,

Emilie Plante

Service Centre

there more then glad to take sledder cash and donate to groups that would love to shut us down. they do have good deals. but if they support sled hating groups. they wont see me supporting them.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to a few of the organizations supported by MEC, if you research a few of these organizations you'll quickly find out that they are the enemy and we need to not support those who would shut down our sports.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't see anything wrong with supporting wilderness conservation. Yes some of these groups are actively trying to shut down OHV use but I think the problem is that they are just as uneducated about us as we are about them. We see these guys as a bunch of tree hugging hippies and they see us as a bunch of uneducated rednecks who are purposely out to destroy the environment. The problem is a lack of communication. Snowmobiling in particular has a very low ecological impact as it doesn't cause any damage to the ground or the vegetation (so long as you aren't cutting down trees to get yourself unstuck). I think we need to work to change their perspective, make them understand that we too enjoy the outdoors and want to protect it and they will stop trying to shut us down. One thing is certain, there are a lot of idiots out there that arent doing the snowmobile community any favors: rolling into the staging area with a lifted 1 ton on 38 inch tires, belching diesel smoke through a loud straight pipe with all emissions equipment removed, firing up a smoky two stroke while metallica blares out the truck speakers, taking a few warm up runs full throttle across the parking lot with no helmet, slamming two beers and tossing the other 10 in your backpack before tearing away full tilt without testing any of your avi gear...it doesn't exactly say "I'm a responsible wilderness user" does it?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure is a lot of their donations going to Alberta. You Albertans must be bad people. LMAO!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I am good friends with the CEO of MEC and yes they donate to some user groups who are for non-motorized....however MEC is not against sleds. I have taken people including my friend out sled skiing and they have sledded before.

MEC is changing and yes you will still get the people that think what they do is better and cleaner or whatever else and you will never change their mind. The fact is most people think what they do is right and what others do is wrong...

I see nothing wrong with purchasing stuff from them but I also would rather support local smaller mom and pop shops that live in the community...my 2 cents

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im gonna start a co-op thats for back country stuff...motors and all .who,s in?and we can then purchase large portions of land too ensure our kids can enjoy sledding in the mountains...or atleast make our opinions heard.:rant:

xpkiller

Reaction score
I am good friends with the CEO of MEC and yes they donate to some user groups who are for non-motorized....however MEC is not against sleds. I have taken people including my friend out sled skiing and they have sledded before.

MEC is changing and yes you will still get the people that think what they do is better and cleaner or whatever else and you will never change their mind. The fact is most people think what they do is right and what others do is wrong...

I see nothing wrong with purchasing stuff from them but I also would rather support local smaller mom and pop shops that live in the community...my 2 cents

then maybe they should get the cheque book out and write one to the bcsf to show they care!

motomike450r

Reaction score
I'm ok with a company supporting whatever that want, I am not going to support them by spending my money there.
Too many choices of companies who don't oppose my motor hobbies.
I also back country ski and snowshoe.
My daily commute to work is a 7 minute walk. So quite frankly these people who drive a half hour or more to work and then look down their nose at my weekend fuel consumption can kiss my azz. Hypocrites. Sorry for the soap box.

Hirevtuner

Reaction score
Personally I don't see anything wrong with supporting wilderness conservation. Yes some of these groups are actively trying to shut down OHV use but I think the problem is that they are just as uneducated about us as we are about them. We see these guys as a bunch of tree hugging hippies and they see us as a bunch of uneducated rednecks who are purposely out to destroy the environment. The problem is a lack of communication. Snowmobiling in particular has a very low ecological impact as it doesn't cause any damage to the ground or the vegetation (so long as you aren't cutting down trees to get yourself unstuck). I think we need to work to change their perspective, make them understand that we too enjoy the outdoors and want to protect it and they will stop trying to shut us down. One thing is certain, there are a lot of idiots out there that arent doing the snowmobile community any favors: rolling into the staging area with a lifted 1 ton on 38 inch tires, belching diesel smoke through a loud straight pipe with all emissions equipment removed, firing up a smoky two stroke while metallica blares out the truck speakers, taking a few warm up runs full throttle across the parking lot with no helmet, slamming two beers and tossing the other 10 in your backpack before tearing away full tilt without testing any of your avi gear...it doesn't exactly say "I'm a responsible wilderness user" does it?

UMMMM! Well I have a lifted 1 Ton diesel truck with aftermarket exhaust, a turbo Yamaha, and a cooler with beer in my trailer for after my climbs of the day. I play AC/DC as I unload my sled. Is this wrong Muffinman? Maybe it's you that should stay home and eat granola! Mountain Equipment Co-Op is NOT a supporter in any way shape or form of sledders. Let's see them for who they are and support the businesses that support sledders. Yes I cut firewood for the cabin, pack out what I bring in and respect the closed areas, but I do come for a redneck fun time! :beer:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe Muffinman was referring to the idiots who swill beer before, during and after the ride. I think a little repect for differing points of view would go a long way to seeing the other side. However there is an element of individuals who don't give a rats butt about consideration of other people.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Well guys, If you go and look up Super Hunky's (Rick Siemen) from Dirt Bike Magazine's long battle with the eco groups since the 70's, especially the Sierra Club, you'll quickly realize how much they despise us and all motorized activities everywhere. If these groups, some very well financed and powerful, have their way, we won't be riding anything or going anywhere. No fun. Nature Conservancy Of Canada, Sierra Club ect...=enemy. The only way to fight these guys is with laywers and lots of cash.

The gloves went off long, long before most of us cared or rode. Now it's hitting home and things will come to a head. With more ATV's, bikes and sleds than ever, were a group thats growing too. Just wait and watch as our riding areas disappear.

Sorry to say, but it's coming.:eek: By the way, Super Hunky wrote great stories for years and is a diehard bike enthusiast. Check him out. W

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure is a lot of their donations going to Alberta. You Albertans must be bad people. LMAO!

That's Right!!! I hear that all the time when I'm out sledding at Kakwa and run into some folks from PG

shockman

Reaction score
I have been watching MEC for over 20 years now and used to purchase stuff from them quite regularly. This is how I seen the growing up of MEC
They started out on the west coast as a true co-op, a place to buy high teck clothing and back country access. at a non profit price! However they were so much cheaper than competeing products that they grew very big and FAST. Now enters the greed facter, they now have some very well paid positions at the top and have become in my opinion Big Bussiness! They donate lots of money to places that suite their executive.
They now sell lots of made in china products (against their modess operandie) and are no cheaper than a lot of competeing stores. And if you are actually in the Vancouver store, don't mention motorized sport or you will think that last fart was a wet one?
Anything they sell you can probably purchase locally for not much more and support local. Just my 02

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure maybe there's against motorised sport but so are alot of other buisness's, but thats exactly what it is, "Buisness", if you dont like it dont shop there, if you do like it shop there. Take your angry and direct at them or the actual government who's incharge of actually shuting the areas down instead of here and make your voice heard instead of just more internet verbal diarrhea.

But you know who's more responsible for shutting the area's down? Us. The people amongst us that ride in the carribou or close areas, every year there's more and you always hear stories about it. When its clear and their flying and they see those riding in closed areas, that will get things shut down faster then some suit on the board at MEC.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MEC sucks, I've said it before and I'll say it again we need to boycott them as a group. They actively support organizations who actively lobby to shut down access to the back country. Check out their website, they have pages of donations made to these organizations. Boycott MEC or you ARE a part of the problem like it or not.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok Norona, here is my story

I was standing in MEC, looking at a wall of socks. This guys comes up to me and asks if he can help. I tell him I need a pair of socks for my duaghter so her feet don't get cold when we go snowmobiling.

This guys says to me " we don't like snowmobilers here" and then walks away.

Another story, I know the guy it happened to. He wanted to buy 20 helmet mounted flashlights. They ask what it is for and he says that he runs a seismic crew and it is a safety issue. They refuse to sell to him and ask him to leave.

There are lots of places to by parts / clothes from. You don't have to help those who would put an end to our sport. For those guys who still shop there, go tell the manager what your needs are next time you are in. They don't want our dirty money.

Top Bottom