Got this back from Mec.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I questioned Mec on supporting groups that are trying to shut down riding areas to snowmobiles. I also stated that people do not shop at their store because of it for base layers and so on. This is what i got back....

Ryan, We appreciate the opportunity to address what appears to be an unfortunate misunderstanding. MEC exists to support our members to be active outdoors. By active, we mean self-propelled outdoor recreation like hiking, paddling, cycling, backcountry ski touring and the like. Although we don’t sell products that are designed and manufactured for motorized recreation, many members have found our clothing, in particular, to be suitable for wearing while they snowmobile or ride motorcycles. (Who doesn’t need a good pair of long underwear when it’s cold outside?) In short, MEC’s support for self-propelled outdoor recreation should not be construed as opposition to motorized recreation.

As for the suggestion that MEC supports groups that aim to shut down “western mountain riding,” it would be helpful to know which groups and areas you are referring to. Although MEC does provide grants to groups working on wilderness conservation and recreation access efforts, a quick review of projects that received support over the last five years did not turn up any in which motorized recreation was at issue. But again, if there are specific groups or areas that you are aware of, we’d like to know of them. That way, we can tell you if MEC has in fact provided any support to a particular group and what the support was meant to achieve.

In the meantime, I encourage you to learn more about MEC’s Community Contributions program and grants that have been awarded through it by following the links below.

Regards, Tim MEC Public Affairs

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And therefore please keep buying our products while we think about better ways to market our products without offending a large part of our market.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not as knowledgeable on this topic so I am asking with out disrespect to anyone involved....

Is everyone in the snowmobile industry upset at MEC because they only support non-motorized activities or is there actual, measurable proof that MEC has acted against the sledding community?

If they choose to build their business geared towards non-motorized sports....so what?

If they have been going out of their way to assist in shutting down sledding areas, then that's something we all need to speak out against.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not as knowledgeable on this topic so I am asking with out disrespect to anyone involved....

Is everyone in the snowmobile industry upset at MEC because they only support non-motorized activities or is there actual, measurable proof that MEC has acted against the sledding community?

If they choose to build their business geared towards non-motorized sports....so what?

If they have been going out of their way to assist in shutting down sledding areas, then that's something we all need to speak out against.

Yah there has been topics about them supporting groups that are shutting down riding areas. But as he stated...... nothing showed what they supported had issues with motorized vehicles.

Anyone have proof that the groups they support are trying to shut down riding areas?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to get this started, here is a link about some of the partners of MEC: organizations they support that have been known to want motorized recreation shut down,

this is probably the biggest one right here.

seems like they just dont want a portion of the land set for caribou auctioned off.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I haven't found it yet, but the Nature Conservancy of Canada is another huge benefactor. They are a known non-motorized entity and are in favor of the Y2Y concept. The land base they have around the park system is dangerous.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't found it yet, but the Nature Conservancy of Canada is another huge benefactor. They are a known non-motorized entity and are in favor of the Y2Y concept. The land base they have around the park system is dangerous.

Completely agree. People have no idea how much money and political clout they have backing that pile of horse dung.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Welllllll......yes and no. They presently have an agreement with the Creston club to allow snowmobiling on the Darkwoods property they purchased with some of our tax money a few years ago. I believe it's a members only deal. They definitely support Y2Y though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked out a few of the partners and while none of them come right out against motorized recreation they are all very pro preservation. That almost always leads to a fight to kick the motorized users out. Some of the board members are interesting too, many are very green but a handful have backgrounds as execs or directors with large multinationals... not too green.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Welllllll......yes and no. They presently have an agreement with the Creston club to allow snowmobiling on the Darkwoods property they purchased with some of our tax money a few years ago. I believe it's a members only deal. They definitely support Y2Y though.

Was that a condition of the sale? They disallowed the TransRockies Challenge (mountain bike race) to go through their property near Hosmer on an established, well used trail.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was that a condition of the sale? They disallowed the TransRockies Challenge (mountain bike race) to go through their property near Hosmer on an established, well used trail.

I'm not sure. It's certainly more restrictive than the deal the club had with Darkwoods previously.

Top Bottom