mountain break downs

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in all my years of riding.....I was towed out back in 89 ish from pinky! my SS25 lost the oil line off the oil tank and didnt have spare oil so towed it down.......but with a 30 foot rope and a sharp corner I got pulled right into a 30 foot plus valley......good thing the tow sled dug in or I wouldnt have been hanging on the other side! lol guess it pays to look back at what your towing! I figure she was trying to kill me back then to! lol.......so one tow in 30 ish years of riding isnt bad since I rode a Polaris 900 for a few years also.....lol

now if I need to be towed or I tow some one out, I have in the truck my honda gas winch and 1000 feet of rope......I can get you out of any bowl with a little time......yes even a yamy ...... yes the snow bungie works great.....I dont have it built yet but Im building a 16 inch alum skimmer that I will put under the track and will be hitched to my yamy......turn sled backwards and reverse the skies.......that is the next project when I get some time! lol

aimhigh

Reaction score
those Snobunjees are the cats meow for getting unstuck even by yourself, this is my first year riding so I have been stuck a few more times than I can remember but no back injuries with Snobunjee...yet.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to fly out my Rev from Keystone back in 04 after hitting a rock at high speed climbing a hill. Chopper set it on my truck for me. Cost $650. Our group has been thinking of everyone donating $10-$20 every weekend towards a chopper fund. If you don't use it at the end of the year then it goes towards rooms or a party. Usually when you tow guys out it kills your day for everyone else and you burn a couple $175 belts in the process. I like the chopper idea best if its not an easy tow.

ya. ive been debating a chopper program for our group aswell. everyone splits the chopper cost. would be cheaper then belts and a ruined weekend for everyone else. and it will happen to everyone one day so if you have to foot 200$ one day its better than 1500$ when its your turn.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya. ive been debating a chopper program for our group aswell. everyone splits the chopper cost. would be cheaper then belts and a ruined weekend for everyone else. and it will happen to everyone one day so if you have to foot 200$ one day its better than 1500$ when its your turn.

way to risky to me. my group changes year to year. either addin new guys or guys droppin out. we always seem to have a new guy comin out. im not paying for a chopper to get him out when for a fraction of the cost i can tow him out.

and whats with all this belt talk. you guys holdin it to the can while towin or what?? grab a sno bunjee and save ur belts. my bud on a M1000 towed my ass a LONG way out of the mtns, THEN hooked up our skimmers and towed me to the truck down the trail..25km's. SAME BELT. hell even put on another trip to the cabin on that belt. they work THAT good.

heres a vid of the tow thru tree trail:

M8 HCR Tow Out (Snobunjee) - YouTube

and a pic of the train he pulled out...LOL. 25 effin km's of terrible snow conditions and i bet 3 kms of mud.

DSCN2389.jpg

DSCN2390.jpg

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 3 broken ribs and a cracked breastplate form a bad 2 up crash that happened on the saturday trying to tow my sled out, needless to say sunday and monday were excruciating....I was with a good crew that did most of the work for me. next time it's a chopper....fawk that noise.
2 upping ah? was she that fat troy? lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WTK!!! Whats with the new avatar? Lol.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group has ridden pretty well trouble free.... Or tow free I should say for quite a few years but the last radium trip was a two sled out of six tow job and a turboed nitro that was eftup but we tied the a arms up with everything we had to limp it out. It was about time our luck ran out I guess. Helicopter rides are for guys who have no imagination!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 upping ah? was she that fat troy? lol
I wish....I was riding bitch while another buddy was towing my sled, guy I was riding behind decided to gap a creek with two of us on an 800 summit. we didn't make the gap....nose first into the bank on the other side at 60 plus, it was a fawking yard sale. I used him as an air bag, when we hit the sled we wiped the bars and hood right off it. it was ugly man, the guy driving busted his ankle bad and by the time we convinced him we had to move he was well into hypothermia. we were still 20 miles away from the trucks and it was getting dark. worst sled trip ever.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took crank out on Rev 800 - was only 4km from parking lot - couple years ago on an Xp 800 piston - locator pin broke - lost one cylinder - managed to drive it out from turtle

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish....I was riding bitch while another buddy was towing my sled, guy I was riding behind decided to gap a creek with two of us on an 800 summit. we didn't make the gap....nose first into the bank on the other side at 60 plus, it was a fawking yard sale. I used him as an air bag, when we hit the sled we wiped the bars and hood right off it. it was ugly man, the guy driving busted his ankle bad and by the time we convinced him we had to move he was well into hypothermia. we were still 20 miles away from the trucks and it was getting dark. worst sled trip ever.

we had to call sar for a buddy. broken back and leg. blue bird day and only made it km fom the parking lot.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I was born my dad broke his back riding way back in an area near Fernie. Shattered vertebrae in his back and instantly paralyzed him
From the waist down, he was in excruciating pain. The group made a fire because it was dark. Two
Guys rode down off the mountain to get service while the rest of the group gathered wood. Helicopter couldn't come, so the doctor had to ride in the snowcat, then on a sled to get to him. He was pulled behind a sled on a tobbogon and flipped over a few times. Then They strapped him to a tobbagon behind the snowcat. Eventually got him off the mountain, then they rushed him by ambulance to Calgary. Left him paralyzed for a few days laying on a back board in hospital, wanted to wait. Took out a rib to make a new vertebrae and put a plate in. 8 and a half hour surgery. Could slightly feel the poke of a pin after. Had to learn how to walk again. Was back to driving truck in 4 months and was sledding the next winter. He still sleds. Needless to say, must have been a wild ride!

Top Bottom