Motor missing when turning right in deep snow. Help

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
My XM misfires, when at full throttle while tipped over on its right side in deep snow. (Basically doing a hard right hand turn out of a descent). It does it every time when in very deep snow turning right, leading me to believe that there is a problem, not a random thing. Anyone heard of other sleds with this problem? The engine sounds like its missing, no spark or fuel on one cylinder, and loses power for a few seconds until I straighten the sled up.

I thought that it could be the rev limiter, so I clickered down, no change. I thought my air box was getting plugged, but nope, still does it with clean screens. The only other likely suspect is that the exhaust is getting plugged up, but another XM doing the same maneuvers wasn't having any trouble. It could be a electrical thing, loose wire that loses contact, or a fuel thing, fuel pump grabs air and the injectors miss, but none of those things would be affected by deep snow, which is the only place it does it.

Anyone else having the same problem or have any ideas? Its not something I can reproduce for the warranty guys in Calgary to fix... it just partially ruins a deep powder day in the mtns.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
impossible maxwell has not had this issue j/k sounds like the exhaust is getting plugged with snow

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm my 07 did that but nothing yet for me on the xm buddy....

is it on sticky days? maybe both intakes clogged? this happened to me for the first time the other day it was sticking to them.

good luck

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
impossible maxwell has not had this issue j/k sounds like the exhaust is getting plugged with snow

ya i have and it all depends on the can and how much it protrudes into the snow. sometimes its impossible to overcome as there is no physical way for the exhaust to exit properly when snow is compacted under the exhaust can without having it exit somewhere esle or perhaps building a larger deflector

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
ya i have and it all depends on the can and how much it protrudes into the snow. sometimes its impossible to overcome as there is no physical way for the exhaust to exit properly when snow is compacted under the exhaust can without having it exit somewhere esle or perhaps building a larger deflector
Really?????I thought the XM was puurrrrrfect???

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
<patent>

would be cool if an aftermarket can came up with a secondary dump valve inside the sled.. actuated by exh pressure .. kinda like how the airbox has another intake inside if the outside gets clogged..

generally you'll need this for 2-3 seconds to complete your right turn without getting stuck .. i'd rather have a little bit of exh dump inside the sled than have to turn out early or dig

</patent>

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
<patent>

would be cool if an aftermarket can came up with a secondary dump valve inside the sled.. actuated by exh pressure .. kinda like how the airbox has another intake inside if the outside gets clogged..

generally you'll need this for 2-3 seconds to complete your right turn without getting stuck .. i'd rather have a little bit of exh dump inside the sled than have to turn out early or dig

</patent>

so you want a waste gate on your exhaust?

I'm thinking you could do it, but it would be pricey, that and for how often it would get used? I dunno if its really cost effective. Set it at a certain pressure and BAM everytime your exhaust is blocked its spewing hot gasses into your engine chamber... something you really want....

Granted i like the idea but the side effects might be worth looking at.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you want a waste gate on your exhaust?

I'm thinking you could do it, but it would be pricey, that and for how often it would get used? I dunno if its really cost effective. Set it at a certain pressure and BAM everytime your exhaust is blocked its spewing hot gasses into your engine chamber... something you really want....

Granted i like the idea but the side effects might be worth looking at.

I like the idea also but it would just have to exit the sled elsewhere perhaps near the shock or something rather than into the engine.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea also but it would just have to exit the sled elsewhere perhaps near the shock or something rather than into the engine.

I think Tunnel Dump would be the best, your track is always clearing the snow so no worries of blockage.

You could dump on to the shock, OR

Here's an idea: Have the exhaust (after the waste gate) pointed right at the face of the rider, would bring a whole new meaning to Face Shots all day :D :D

I'm joking of course, but i think into the A Arm cavity would work the best if you were looking for a spot.

Top Bottom