Moles making Holes....... Grrrrr

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've been trapping those things for years. Rat traps (large mouse traps) from peavymart or ufa, find the hole with a narrow stick like others have said, cover with a board (small cable reel ends works well - round), and tie the trap to a stick with some wire so another animal can't carry it away. We use to catch a couple hundred or so a year around the hay fields. Probably only 20 or 30 the last few years though.

My grandpa has a hard time setting the traps and digging the holes so he just uses propane. Pokes a little hole and pours the propane in for a few minutes. I find the traps work best though personally - the mole will come to the trap within a day or so.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
So I took the advise on the exhaust idea...... hope it works. Pumped exhaust for about 5 minutes down the hole. Maybe the lawn tractor would work better? Dirtyer emitions?? I will find out if it works.

Oh ya... You definately Auschwitz'd them little buggers with that set up...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fill hole with propane. Works to aapparently I got mostly gravel tunnelers don't like my yard lol good luck

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fill hole with propane. Works to aapparently I got mostly gravel tunnelers don't like my yard lol good luck

This is what my brother does. He has a little unit with an igniter on the end. It works. But don't use too much propane or you will start making IED craters in your yard LOL.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that using an Arctic Cat 800 sled is best way to get toxic gasses into that hole.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the propane idea, but how do you get it lit without blowing your eyebrows off?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the propane idea, but how do you get it lit without blowing your eyebrows off?

Just use the propane to gas them. Same idea as the carbon monoxide just a little easier

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

neighbour at my parents acreage used to do that, but would stand there with a smoke in his mouth..... we stayed away.....

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Was reading up on moles on Wikipedia. Says they got some special hemoglobin in their blood that lets them reuse oxygen they breathed in from surface. So gassing the little buggers may take longer than usual. Also says that using high grade nitrogen gas has been effective in controlling them.

Pecos

Reaction score
Yup, what these guys said. Had a hundred piles of dirt in my yard when I bough this place 6 years ago. Only thing that worked was the stuff these guys say above. Have to poke around the hole with a stick because the little bastards back in their hole and fill it back in. You'll be able to find the direction of the hole with the stick. Once you've found the tunnel, use a spade and dig a small hole in front of the tunnel and plant that black plastic trap(mine is round and enclosed, a little different than the one pictured above). Fill the area with dirt so only the very top of the trap is exposed( if they see daylight coming in around the trap, they won't come for it), Good idead to go pack down ALL the piles of dirt/sand so when a new hole arrives you'll know which one is "live". I caught 34 of the little fuggers in 10 days doing this and haven't seen one since (5 years now). Hope this helps.....

It does take a knack to get the trap positioned/buried properly but once you've caught one then you'll have it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well seeing as ya have no moles or gophers, i have a few i could bring over.
icon10.gif

the black traps work, only i had to chain them down the friggin coyotes kept takin em.

Top Bottom