Moles making Holes....... Grrrrr

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all this moisture in the ground the moles have moved to higher ground... my Septic Mound. Unearthing lots of sand. How should I get rid of them?? Dont want my mound undermined, not good. Could be costly.

Any advise is appreciated. :beer:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all this moisture in the ground the moles have moved to higher ground... my Septic Mound. Unearthing lots of sand. How should I get rid of them?? Dont want my mound undermined, not good. Could be costly.

Any advise is appreciated. :beer:

Not enough cats in the litter to take care of them? lol

Used to use traps that had to be burried in the mole run but they were hit and miss. Found a good farm cat and voila no more moles. She would go a foot down the holes to get them when she heard them going by.

TB

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Carbon mon-oxide from a motor and a long hose. My father-in-law used to open the tunnel and lay a trap in there. Don't remember what he used for bait tho'.

I'm dealing with voles. A little smaller than moles but they are eating the bark on our hedges and shrubs. They make the tunnels in the grass throughout the winter and I sort of could put up with that but with them now eating the bark, the war is on.

Trapped 4 so far this month. Peanut butter works for them.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Carbon mon-oxide from a motor and a long hose. My father-in-law used to open the tunnel and lay a trap in there. Don't remember what he used for bait tho'.

I'm dealing with voles. A little smaller than moles but they are eating the bark on our hedges and shrubs. They make the tunnels in the grass throughout the winter and I sort of could put up with that but with them now eating the bark, the war is on.

Trapped 4 so far this month. Peanut butter works for them.

Works very well. Large garden hose and your lawn tractor/quad, whatever. Just let er idle for a good 20 minutes and it's nap time. I tried drowning the buggers out once but after letting the garden hose run for a half hour and flooding out the neighbor I came to realize then critters have quite a network of tunnels...not like a gopher.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
scotts you have the makings of being a pro at the fair, where the gophers pop up and u have to coco bonk them on the beaner. sounds like you can get alot of practice in. hehe.

so far good suggestions, to close to your house for poison, and that stuff is nasty.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great advise so far.... thanks guys. Problem is the sand and soil is piled up so high I cant find the hole? (please no jokes about that.... been a problem around here for years!!). After removing the sand the hole is now where in site. Even used my fingers to feel around? Cant get the critter if I cant find the hole?

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try poking around the mound with an old piece of rebar or something like that. I have the same issue right now, got the one on my mound but they're popping up all over my yard now.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i used a wire from a pin flag. you can feel the tunnel by less resistance. good luck , everyone feels your pain, somtimes ya got to have a chuckle.

man it hurts to let a good rib poke go by uncommented on hehe.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I use a box trap,no bait.Trap has a little hole in the end of it,leave that exposed,mole sees light,mole tries to plug hole to get rid of light,mole dies.

The one I use looks similar to this,open on one end.Just a little hole on the other end.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out to probe for the little frickers holes.... but what should I pour down the hole to kill them with out damaging the mound? Should I use the exhaust thing?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they work well mike. only i lost a few friggin coyotes took em, had to wire them down. hehe.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out to probe for the little frickers holes.... but what should I pour down the hole to kill them with out damaging the mound? Should I use the exhaust thing?

nothing to lose give it a try.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Best to trap them, they have really long azz tunnel systems and can outrun anything you pour down and poisons. We use those round traps you can get from ufa or peavey Mart. Up to a dozen this year with a few more to go

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
To find the hole or tunnel, you have to very carefully scrape away the mound and poke around and down with a stiff wire or narrow diameter stick. The resistance or lack of resistance will let you know where you are in relation to the path. Very carefully clean that out and put the hose in. Cover the entry with the fine dirt and sleep time for little moles.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gonna try the exhaust thing and see if it works, read on the internet that pretty much nothing but trapping works since the tunnel system is too long. Since its on the internet it must be true right? I mean LHF can out climb anyone on a wedge and Willy doesn't own any white sunglasses........

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
gonna try the exhaust thing and see if it works, read on the internet that pretty much nothing but trapping works since the tunnel system is too long. Since its on the internet it must be true right? I mean LHF can out climb anyone on a wedge and Willy doesn't own any white sunglasses........

it works, just takes a long time to fill all the tunnels. If you can find or open up a tunnel the traps also work. Good luck.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Trapping DOES work! Couple times I have heard the trap snap as I was walking away from it.Little bastages hate light,rush to plug holes.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took the advise on the exhaust idea...... hope it works. Pumped exhaust for about 5 minutes down the hole. Maybe the lawn tractor would work better? Dirtyer emitions?? I will find out if it works.

Attachments

• 2005_0618HuntingMole0001.JPG
    2005_0618HuntingMole0001.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2005_0618HuntingMole0002.JPG
    2005_0618HuntingMole0002.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 2005_0618HuntingMole0004.JPG
    2005_0618HuntingMole0004.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 2005_0618HuntingMole0006.JPG
    2005_0618HuntingMole0006.JPG