Moles making Holes....... Grrrrr

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I always thought it was the light that brought them to the trap,but according to Fernie's video its airflow.Either way,leaving the little hole in the end of the trap exposed brings them running to their death!
Yup, what these guys said. Had a hundred piles of dirt in my yard when I bough this place 6 years ago. Only thing that worked was the stuff these guys say above. Have to poke around the hole with a stick because the little bastards back in their hole and fill it back in. You'll be able to find the direction of the hole with the stick. Once you've found the tunnel, use a spade and dig a small hole in front of the tunnel and plant that black plastic trap(mine is round and enclosed, a little different than the one pictured above). Fill the area with dirt so only the very top of the trap is exposed( if they see daylight coming in around the trap, they won't come for it), Good idead to go pack down ALL the piles of dirt/sand so when a new hole arrives you'll know which one is "live". I caught 34 of the little fuggers in 10 days doing this and haven't seen one since (5 years now). Hope this helps.....

It does take a knack to get the trap positioned/buried properly but once you've caught one then you'll have it.

Pecos

Reaction score
I always thought it was the light that brought them to the trap,but according to Fernie's video its airflow.Either way,leaving the little hole in the end of the trap exposed brings them running to their death!

Whenever they head back into the hole, they back fill the hole behind them.....they will only leave abandoned holes open....if they see light and have air flow, they know the gig's up.....Upon reading further, I see that some other guys have tried exhaust down the hole....that typically doesn't work either because they have super sensitive smell....one whiff of anything coming down the corridor and they back fill the spot and head further down hole. I tried these sulphur bombs that you light and throw down the hole...other than being mildly amusing, didn't work...

crp

Reaction score
Hopefully you've got it under control there, but if not google the gophinater. We had this little chicky out from sk, she has a ranger with a little anhydrous tank on the back and she drives around and gases them out. We had her a few years ago when we had a population explosion and couldn't keep up with fire power or poison. The thing is pretty slick and it worked on all kinds of rodents, it was well worth the $$$! It might be too far for her to come to your place, but there should be someone with the same thing around here.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
ever seen a "vole" ???

Yes I have! That is my rodent of concern other than squirrels, chickmunks, mice, pack rats, and the odd ground squirrel.

They tunnel my grass under the snow and I've found this year that they are liking the bark on a lot of our shrubs. Apparently, they like peanut butter so that is my bait of choice on the traps. The grass looks like a war zone in the spring!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whenever they head back into the hole, they back fill the hole behind them.....they will only leave abandoned holes open....if they see light and have air flow, they know the gig's up.....Upon reading further, I see that some other guys have tried exhaust down the hole....that typically doesn't work either because they have super sensitive smell....one whiff of anything coming down the corridor and they back fill the spot and head further down hole. I tried these sulphur bombs that you light and throw down the hole...other than being mildly amusing, didn't work...

now jeff, i have this image of you and dave sipping sour puss, lighting these bombs, placeing bets on throwing said bombs towards the hole seeing who can get the closest. haha.
never tried those though, would they work on gophers don't think they backfill, i really don't no.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the black traps. I have also heard that spearmint gum in there hole, they eat it and it plugs them up and they die. Never tried it but might be worth a try. The best solution I had was my dog but since we had to get rid of him i see the moles and gophers have moved in. I guess back to the traps and maybe some sub sonic 22 shells.

Top Bottom