missing

zeke

Reaction score
I've got an 05 800ho. On the last trip it started sputtering and missing when it was wide open. Changed plugs and it was good for an hour or so and started to do it again. Runs fine at idle and all the way up to wide open throttle.
Any ideas?

highlimits

Reaction score
I would clean the carbs real good sounds like you have a little water in them, not sure if the carbs have a drain on the bottom but some do and it will flush out the water. If not then you have to pull the big plug out of the base this usually means out come the carbs.

good luck

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might be the spark plug wire cap.... was there lots of cardon on the tip of the plug when you changed the plugs....

driller

Reaction score
be sure to check your dpm as i have had that exact same problem and it turned out to be the dpm making a lean condition. Against what they say
as the dpm is suppost to fail to the rich side, not always true.

zeke

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the ideas I'll check the obvious (carbs and wires) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's the stator or regulator.

kconger

Reaction score
Zeke what make's you think it would be stator or reg? My opinion would be it would miss right away if the stator or reg was the issue. If it is a electric issue would more apt to be coil. Not hard to test. You can do a cold and hot resitance test on both primary and secondary windings. Service manual should give specs.

zeke

Reaction score
I'm just thinking that it doesn't put out the right voltage at full revs. I also think a coil either works or it doesn't. It's kinda funny that after I put in new plugs, it was good for a while.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just thinking that it doesn't put out the right voltage at full revs. I also think a coil either works or it doesn't. It's kinda funny that after I put in new plugs, it was good for a while.

Not necessarily true, had a coil with a bad wire, would run great until it heated up and the wire expanded and lost continuity and stop working, then would work great again once it was cold.

Your issue almost sounds fuel related, if plugs are fouled then its getting too much fuel and usually it takes a little while to load them up so they stop working, usually if its an electrical issue it would come back right away after you put the new plugs in, not ran good for a little while. If the coil/stator/etc was not supplying enough juice then it should not have been able to supply it to the new plugs, let alone the old plugs. But when I think about the old coil issue I had above, could be electrical as well. I think you should test some of the electrical components to start ruling things out. Just some ideas to think about.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had this happen on a 04 800 rev. check the top of your spark plugs, if there is any black carbon deposits of any sort, you have sparking in the plug cap. change both plug caps or you can change wires(pain in the azz).
costs about $10 to $15. SLEDLIFT may have seen the same thing. when you cahnge plugs, do not twist or push on plug caps as this breaks the carbon wire in the plug cap.

my sled would run fine after a plug change, until i hit a bump or a little running time. sometimes nothing would help, acted like water in the gas etc. forget the armchair wrenching, check the plug caps as that is were i'd put my money, you'll get a hundred different opinions, check the easy ones first.
let us know what the problem is when you find it.

zeke

Reaction score
Hey guys Thanks for the input. imdoin wins! It was arcing inside the caps. That explains why the new plugs worked for a while and they weren't fouled. Pinched them a bit and put some dielectric grease in the caps. Worked fine last trip. I told my buddy because he has the same ngk red wires and his had the blackdust in'em and were on their way too.
Later

Top Bottom