Ministik Strathcona Parking

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
Well John
It is like this
The County of Leduc is sled friendly and plows the parking lot at RR220 and TWP 504a for us to all park in
The County of Strathcona is all about horses and hates sledders, they refuse to clear parking lot #33 at RR212 and TWP 510 which is in their county
They clear all other parking lots in the county even the dog walk parks so why not this one

Please call the Councillor Mrs. Bonnie Riddell 780-464-8003 and/or Public Work Mr. David Churchill 780-417-700 and ask to have this parking lot cleared - please

We hope to have the groomer out before Christmas and will clear that parking lot at RR212 and TWP 510

MINISTIK is made up of 4 counties Leduc, Strathcona (Only the parking lot), Beaver and Camrose

For more information see or website at

So I found this online, we're not that hated :p

Stakeholder Input:
• 60% of household survey respondents consider the use of Segways appropriate on the existing trails system
• 18% of household survey respondents consider the use of golf carts appropriate on the existing trails system
• 46% of household survey respondents believe that off highway vehicles should not be allowed on County owned lands while 46% believed the activity should be allowed with some restrictions and 7% felt it should be allowed in a general sense
• of the household survey respondents, the variation of responses between rural and urban responses to the off highway vehicles questions were not notable
• more specifically in regards to snowmobile use (as a subset of off highway vehicles), 34% of household survey respondents believe that snowmobiles should not be allowed on County owned lands while 56% believed the activity should be allowed with some restrictions and 9% felt it should be allowed in a general sense
• 46% of group survey respondents believe that off highway vehicles should be allowed in general on County owned lands, 12% felt that the activity should not be allowed on County owned lands and 42% believed the activity should be allowed with some restrictions
• more specifically in regards to snowmobile use (as a subset of off highway vehicles), 54% of group survey respondents believe that snowmobiles should be allowed in general on County owned lands, 8% felt that the activity should not be allowed on County owned lands and 38% believed the activity should be allowed with some restrictions

Sent from my iPhone using

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
This is the report where I found it:

Ministik Man, have you seen this before?

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
I have to admit that I got annoyed at Johnsmithnf pissy attitude so I decided to find him a link that he could look up and get "ed-u-mah-kated" but instead I found that gold mine of information for Strathcona County trail system strategy.

sorry Johnsmithnf, it doesn't come in "pop up" form....

Remember this: this is the report that the mayor and councillors will have read and use to base their decisions, and the numbers are there for OHV expansion.

So whoever is meeting with the mayor, you need to be familiar with this material and anything else that is going to help the cause.

Good Luck :)

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have to admit that I got annoyed at Johnsmithnf pissy attitude so I decided to find him a link that he could look up and get "ed-u-mah-kated" but instead I found that gold mine of information for Strathcona County trail system strategy.

sorry Johnsmithnf, it doesn't come in "pop up" form....

Remember this: this is the report that the mayor and councillors will have read and use to base their decisions, and the numbers are there for OHV expansion.

So whoever is meeting with the mayor, you need to be familiar with this material and anything else that is going to help the cause.

Good Luck :)

1849516] have to admit that I got annoyed at Johnsmithnf pissy attitude
it didn't show.......lol

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ignorance of the law is not an answer aka I didnt know I couldnt park there as quoted by the traffic judge I recently met with

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that we have an OHV Bylaw Officer involved in this thread possibly he can answer some questions that neither Glen Lawrence, my previous counciilor whom was instrumental in the establishment of the OHV unit, nor Bonnie Ridell, my present councillor, have ever answered despite my numerous inquiries. Firstly, how many other Alberta municipalities have an enforcement unit solely dedicated to OHV's as opposed to RCMP enforcement or enforcement by regular bylaw officer's. Secondly, what was the initial capital cost to set up the unit and finally what is the annual budget of the OHV unit? Neither councillor has ever denied my right to this information as a Strathcona County taxpayer they have just not been forthcoming with this information in spite of my requests. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
Roy,

Your barking up the wrong tree! if you want that information you can't expect a bylaw/cop to release it. And seriously, what purpose would it serve anyway?

If you have a genuine and serious concern about something in particular, that this information will help with, then I would suggest one or all of the following:

1. Contact your new councillor and mayor and give them the opportunity to respond, but I suggest you get your mind right in what your concern is!

2. Submit a FOIP request.

3. Contact the Strathcona Tax Payers Association and clearly outline your concern and see how they can respond/assist.

So Roy, what's your point in knowing the answers to your questions?

OHV COP

Reaction score
Now that we have an OHV Bylaw Officer involved in this thread possibly he can answer some questions that neither Glen Lawrence, my previous counciilor whom was instrumental in the establishment of the OHV unit, nor Bonnie Ridell, my present councillor, have ever answered despite my numerous inquiries. Firstly, how many other Alberta municipalities have an enforcement unit solely dedicated to OHV's as opposed to RCMP enforcement or enforcement by regular bylaw officer's. Secondly, what was the initial capital cost to set up the unit and finally what is the annual budget of the OHV unit? Neither councillor has ever denied my right to this information as a Strathcona County taxpayer they have just not been forthcoming with this information in spite of my requests. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hi Roy,

I cannot give you the answers you are looking for. You will need to send a FOIP request to that department. I can tell you Strathcona County does not have a unit that is solely for OHV. The OHV unit in Strathcona is made up of two Peace Officers that are part of the Traffic Unit. Main duties are still traffic but we specialize in OHV (we have the course). Many other agencies operate the same way and have access to quads/sleds. It is a fundamental part of any agency that covers a large area. These quads/sleds are not just used for enforcement they are used for education, prevention of forest fires, search and rescue and to assist Emergency Services in the event of a medical emergency in the back country (we had one last year in Ministik). The Units members are both avid outdoors people, OHV users on days off and trained fire fighter/EMT's.

So as for your question the OHV Unit technically isn't really a Unit we are from the Traffic Unit. The only cost is the quads/sleds and as discussed above these would still be a part of the vehicle fleet even without an "OHV Unit"

Oh and a friendly reminder Strathcona County does not have a bylaw unit when contacting your elected officials. They have Enforcement Services made up of Peace Officers. You may get directed to the wrong agency if you pen a letter with bylaw in it.

OHV

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We will follow up again on this opportunity. we do need help with a person that can deal with this on a official level. in the past we are to emotional and dont succeed as you have all noticed. last year Tri County club again tried with the administration of the county. Seems the council don't get the info given them.
We need to get more in more involved. Seems a lot want to do something but we all wait for someone else to do it. when was the last time you talked,emailed or texted you councillor ?
It can happen but we need to get squeaky to get some action going.

Tuffmudder

Reaction score
Well that is quite the OHV unit! I'm impressed, even as a tax payer :)

Sledderglen - You are right, this community needs to be united and rely on the direction of the association. Instead of being a bunch of whiny B.... or having personal agendas.

Pick and choose your battles Roy and johnsmith, show everyone that we are all responsible sledders and promote the same attitude with other sledders.

Stop slagging on Council and other Peace Officers, there can be some real change on the horizon and if you guys don't come to the party then you'll be dragging the rest of us down with you.

OHV COP

Reaction score
Hello all,

I contacted the county today. I spoke with a supervisor from Transportation and Ag. I am pleased to announce the lot in question will be regularly plowed after large snowfalls. This will be done as a part of the routine duties of the grader operator whilst he/she is plowing Twp510.

Please contact if this does not happen. Im sure it will take a few tries to get everyone on board and get that lot into muscle memory.

Chalk one up for the OHV Unit!

Stay safe everyone.

OHV COP

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hello all,

i contacted the county today. I spoke with a supervisor from transportation and ag. I am pleased to announce the lot in question will be regularly plowed after large snowfalls. This will be done as a part of the routine duties of the grader operator whilst he/she is plowing twp510.

Please contact if this does not happen. Im sure it will take a few tries to get everyone on board and get that lot into muscle memory.

Chalk one up for the ohv unit!

Stay safe everyone.

Ohv cop
well done, and thank-you :)

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I contacted the county today. I spoke with a supervisor from Transportation and Ag. I am pleased to announce the lot in question will be regularly plowed after large snowfalls. This will be done as a part of the routine duties of the grader operator whilst he/she is plowing Twp510.

Chalk one up for the OHV Unit!

Stay safe everyone.

OHV COP

The snowmobiling community thanks you for your assistance in helping to get Parking Lot #33 plowed on a regular basis.

Tri-County brought in the Groomer on January 2 to clear the parking lot -- so it cleared to the ground now

We would dearly love to hand over this job of plowing to the county, so we can get back to grooming the snowmobile trails

Tri- County Snowmobile Club thanks all who are using Parking lot #33 and riding in Ministik and NOT random parking and riding in the County of Strathcona against the Bylaws

We have 102Km of groomed trails with 2 Plowed parking lots - So please use them..

never2late

Reaction score
Thanks for this information. Once we all understand these rules then there should not be any further confusion. Next up would be the parking lot/staging areas snow removal which it appears is underway. I have a feeling that there will be a positive response.Also I have found that an officer's response and attitude are generally in direct proportion to the same from the citizen being spoken to.

Top Bottom