Minimalist Thread

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats my plan exept using a short bus set up for 4 sleds & 6 passengers.... my ramp will not take that much work...just sayin...

if you used a longer bus you could have it set up with 6 passengers and a full bar! I would have to some more digging into it but i think if you werer to put sleeping bags and a little porta potty you could classify it at a motor home and would be legal for your passengers to drink.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I think thats how it works...thats how my boat works anyway...

Doable even in a short bus just double decker the sleds....

if you used a longer bus you could have it set up with 6 passengers and a full bar! I would have to some more digging into it but i think if you werer to put sleeping bags and a little porta potty you could classify it at a motor home and would be legal for your passengers to drink.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this guy does have a $60k diesel pickup but I thought it fit here anyway.

my $80 sled deck - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum
IMG_20111225_131425-1.jpg

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those buses are awesome! haha. Think how handy they'd be?

The guy with the GMC must be maxed out on truck payments..

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's Alberta. People here live just like they did before the US crash in 2008, period.

I have a little $500 trailer that I can probably get 2 quads on if I don't want my machine in the bed of my truck. Pretty minimal, lol.

Last edited:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's Alberta. People here live just like they did before the US crash in 2008, period.

I have a little $500 trailer that I can probably get 2 quads on if I don't want my machine in the bed of my truck. Pretty minimal, lol.

Well, I got you there. Mine was $800...

Thing is it's a sweet trailer. haha. Does everything I want it to do and more. Awesome to tag onto a truck with a sled deck, can be pulled by smaller engined vehicles, tilt deck for quick loading, and I bolted two motorcycle chokes so I can put two bikes on it. Best thing is I can wheel it around a parking lot WITH sled by hand.

As for your other comment, I agree. I grew up in a small town, never had fancy toys, and had parents who taught me the value of money. Sure I'd love lots of stuff, but I know I can't afford it and should rather save for the future.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those busses are great, until you lose control and end up in the ditch... icy road conditions.. uh no thanks.]

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I got you there. Mine was $800...

Thing is it's a sweet trailer. haha. Does everything I want it to do and more. Awesome to tag onto a truck with a sled deck, can be pulled by smaller engined vehicles, tilt deck for quick loading, and I bolted two motorcycle chokes so I can put two bikes on it. Best thing is I can wheel it around a parking lot WITH sled by hand.

As for your other comment, I agree. I grew up in a small town, never had fancy toys, and had parents who taught me the value of money. Sure I'd love lots of stuff, but I know I can't afford it and should rather save for the future.

Sounds like my trailer. This is mine:

Mesh/Tilt Utility Trailer | SWS Truck Bodies & Trailers

I don't have a tilt deck, and mine is an exact of the bottom lefthand corner. The little angle iron sides come off if you wanted them to hence I say two machines. Facing forward I will only get one. I put plywood up the sides of it to just over the height of the angle iron and use it haul garbage more than anything. I have a 2" ball on my Brute and use it around the yard behind the quad, plus you can wheel it by hand. I have it and a 20' car hauler...... and I rarely ever use the car hauler. This little one is just too damn handy!

Typical SWS fashion most of the paint is falling off...... so one of these days I will take it and have it blasted and linex'd. Sadly my Beothuck 20' which is only a year old has nearly no paint left on it either. The trip to Ruby Lake last summer finished that off. Get it linex'd one of these days too.

Last edited:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my trailer. This is mine:

Mesh/Tilt Utility Trailer | SWS Truck Bodies & Trailers

I don't have a tilt deck, and mine is an exact of the bottom lefthand corner. The little angle iron sides come off if you wanted them to hence I say two machines. Facing forward I will only get one. I put plywood up the sides of it to just over the height of the angle iron and use it haul garbage more than anything. I have a 2" ball on my Brute and use it around the yard behind the quad, plus you can wheel it by hand. I have it and a 20' car hauler...... and I rarely ever use the car hauler. This little one is just too damn handy!

Typical SWS fashion most of the paint is falling off...... so one of these days I will take it and have it blasted and linex'd. Sadly my Beothuck 20' which is only a year old has nearly no paint left on it either. The trip to Ruby Lake last summer finished that off. Get it linex'd one of these days too.

That would be handy!

Mine's an actual sled trailer. Galv. steel so it's pretty good for not rusting (shows none yet), and only weights a few hundred pounds. The wheels could be bigger but I think they are 12. Just have crappy trailer tires though. Bought a full wheel spare just incase I get a flat. I also carry tire plugs in my emergency kit and have onboard air in the form of a 20lb C02 tank.

nv25523_1_400.jpg

Thats my trailer except mine is not painted but rather galvanized. At times I wish it was a utility trailer like yours for loading soil, etc but I made due without. I just use it for my sled and motorcycles.

I'll likely get a salt shield on it for this season and maybe get pro-active and use the rest of my POR-15 to paint it black, even though galvanized steel is pretty much corrosion resistant.

I installed a wheel chock center front, and center rear so I can install two dual sports on facing front, one rear and just angle them to the sides. I have yet to actually use it for that yet but it's nice to know it's set-up. Come sled season I just take the mounts off and use the threaded ski holder and strap through the rear skid. I sometimes double up the ski holders with another strap to make the RCMP happy.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a little galvanized one like that too. Still handly for yard work. Soil you say..... funny cause last spring I hauled 2 loads of manure ( well aged dirt now, lol) with it. Buddy has a 7' bucket on his tractor and 2 heaping buckets put me to just over my plywood sides. Hauled the weight like a champ. Probably should have had more air in the tires but it has a 3500 lb axle so it wasn't overloaded.

POR 15.. have you ever used it before? I have and have mixed feelings about it. I did some on the back of the frame of my truck last year when I put a better hitch on. Perfect candidate as the frame of my truck looks like the Titanic thanks to previous never washing owners ( it's an 05). Well sun has not seen it, it is not fading, but it is sure falling off. I put it out of sunlights reach at the back of the frame where the hitch attaches as a test. I wash the underside of my truck as much as the top and I dunno. I painted some other things with it too but they just sit inside so...... A friend tried it on his Blazer and found the same thing as me. He rockguarded over it and it still peeled off everywhere.

I want to try it again on something else and coat over it.... but not my trailers lol. Maybe some more truck frames or something.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a little galvanized one like that too. Still handly for yard work. Soil you say..... funny cause last spring I hauled 2 loads of manure ( well aged dirt now, lol) with it. Buddy has a 7' bucket on his tractor and 2 heaping buckets put me to just over my plywood sides. Hauled the weight like a champ. Probably should have had more air in the tires but it has a 3500 lb axle so it wasn't overloaded.

POR 15.. have you ever used it before? I have and have mixed feelings about it. I did some on the back of the frame of my truck last year when I put a better hitch on. Perfect candidate as the frame of my truck looks like the Titanic thanks to previous never washing owners ( it's an 05). Well sun has not seen it, it is not fading, but it is sure falling off. I put it out of sunlights reach at the back of the frame where the hitch attaches as a test. I wash the underside of my truck as much as the top and I dunno. I painted some other things with it too but they just sit inside so...... A friend tried it on his Blazer and found the same thing as me. He rockguarded over it and it still peeled off everywhere.

I want to try it again on something else and coat over it.... but not my trailers lol. Maybe some more truck frames or something.

It's strange because research showed two sides of a story. Some say it's the best damn thing they could find, others said it peeled within a year.

The last statement didn't sit well in my stomach, but I went with it anyways and spend 30 hours on my back preping and painting. So far it's holding up very well but it's only been like a month and no offroading, salt, etc till recently. I put it on a 98 Toyota 4-runner which had only surface rust on the axle, and mostly just welded areas.

I will admit, the frame looks like brand new now, but like I said it hasn't seen much of a test yet.

Did you prep it with the degreaser and metal etch? People say if you don't do that it's not worth it. These two steps weren't actually too bad. The degreaser works very well, the metal etch appeared to work well too. The degreaser is nice to have around for other projects.

So basically I degreased everything by spraying it all down and letting it soak really well. Then pressure washed the crap out of it. After that I painted all bare metal with the etcher. It can be sprayed too but I liked the precision of brushing. Kept it wet for 20 minutes (two coats) then pressure washed it again. After that I let it dry completely. This is a MUST. Use a heat gun / hair dryer if required. Then paint/spray away. I put two coats of POR 15 before it was dry (says 2-12 hours! Mine were both 2-2.5 which made for a long, long weekend of painting), then followed up with another coat of POR15 chasis black. This provides additional resistance and blocks the UV. On their site it doesn't really say if the UV degrades the product, but it does say it causes it to fade. Parts of it mentions that the retention of rust is still there. Cost of the POR 15 was around 200$ I probably have nearly half that, or at least a solid 1/4 left over (hence my trailer talk...)

The cost is one thing, the work is another. I hope it doesn't peal!!

If the POR15 doesn't bond I think coating over top is useless. Like putting a bandaid on a wound. You'll probably need to media blast it off the best you can then paint again. Keep in in mind POR15 LIKES porous metal. Surface or flash rust is a good thing. Clean, new, or freshly polished metal isn't.

That being said I painted my skid plate and trailer hitch with just the Chasis black. I will fully admit I did bad prep (the skid will be getting replaced with a full underbody skid eventually) and the trailer hitch wasn't bad other then some spot rust. I didn't prep it very well and I see it's rusting. Knowing how it covered I figure that's my fault. I used a cheap brush and although they say the cheaper the brush the better, I highly recommend getting decent brushes. The frame painting brushes I used were awesome, the ultra cheap one I had around for the trailer hitch was horrible and I had a hell of a time painting. This coupled with the poor prep job shows the bad results I have. I will likely re-coat in the spring with proper prep.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prepped with the acid wash etch stuff and then then made sure the surface I was painting was clean. I want to try it again but I am almost leaning towards not being disappointed when it falls off, lol. Maybe it doesn't like salt either ( I mean really, what does) and that could be an issue too. Pretty sad if that is all it takes considering the paint isn't falling off, lol.

I just don't buy the impact resistance of it either. Stones seem to chip it just like paint..... so really what good is it? UV does degrade it, at least that is what I read somewhere at one time. It fades and starts to break the outer surface of it down. Hence why you are supposed to paint over it...... but then the paint just chips off anyway so you are back to square one.

I have more rusty old crap to try it on and probably will give it another go. I have more kicking around so why not. I could do the little fenders on my utility trailer and see what that does. Can't look any worse than they do now.

Top Bottom