Minimalist Thread

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prepped with the acid wash etch stuff and then then made sure the surface I was painting was clean. I want to try it again but I am almost leaning towards not being disappointed when it falls off, lol. Maybe it doesn't like salt either ( I mean really, what does) and that could be an issue too. Pretty sad if that is all it takes considering the paint isn't falling off, lol.

I just don't buy the impact resistance of it either. Stones seem to chip it just like paint..... so really what good is it? UV does degrade it, at least that is what I read somewhere at one time. It fades and starts to break the outer surface of it down. Hence why you are supposed to paint over it...... but then the paint just chips off anyway so you are back to square one.

I have more rusty old crap to try it on and probably will give it another go. I have more kicking around so why not. I could do the little fenders on my utility trailer and see what that does. Can't look any worse than they do now.

The whole idea is that IF it does chip, the rust won't spread because it won't go underneith and continue to progress. It'll be localized.

I hope my experiences are different... It's a ton of work!

There is another product out there that people claim is as good or better and requires less prep. Forget the name.

I will be picking up a can of Fluid Film today to spray in my frame rails, back of chrome bumpers, and some other areas. It's also a good temp fix to hold you over winter. Hell, the old school guys used to spray their frames with oil.. Some still do!

The last bit of rust I have on the truck is at the pinch welds along the sides. I'm not sure what I will do there... I'm just as worried about bed liner as it might rust out underneight and you won't know on top. Might do a layer of POR15, then primer, then bed liner. That's a spring project. Doesn't help I have tires that throw big rocks and stick out about 1.5-2".

Last edited:

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well here is my new truck for the season, should have it tomorrow. its a 1995 f250 7.3 5 speed 4x4. this truck was stolen and i bought it threw icbc. by the looks of it it wont need to much work other then a ign switch, and shift knob and some lights for the deck? just not sure on kms. find out soon enough i guess. not a bad truck for under $4000.00 taxes in, of course there could be brakes and ball joints ect that need to be replaced but fingers crossed that this is a low km truck. :)

f2502.png

f2503.png

f2501.png

f250.png

f2504.png

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well here is my new truck for the season, should have it tomorrow. its a 1995 f250 7.3 5 speed 4x4. this truck was stolen and i bought it threw icbc. by the looks of it it wont need to much work other then a ign switch, and shift knob and some lights for the deck? just not sure on kms. find out soon enough i guess. not a bad truck for under $4000.00 taxes in, of course there could be brakes and ball joints ect that need to be replaced but fingers crossed that this is a low km truck. :)

f2502.png

f2503.png

f2501.png

f250.png

f2504.png

That looks like a much better deal. The flat deck will be sweet! I'll keep an eye out for you at the mountain.
Where do you typically ride anyway?

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i cant sleep its like christmas morning, knowing the trucks going to be here this morning hahaha. i will for sure post how many kms it has. i may add power windows and different mirrors that way to. as for the deck i was thinking of building a skeleton frame above it like a buddy did, or just build two extentions that will clip/bolt on to each side. only issue i need a place for a ramp.

boobage, we usually rode hunters last year, i want to ride keefer lake areas this year aswell.

now im waiting for delivery, which wont be till 3-4pm today :(

Last edited:

Nick568

Reaction score
Nice setup TNT! Have you considered making extensions for the width that slide into the bed stake pockets? Would be a simple way to extend the width and keep the weight of the sleds down as low as possible. Would probably want to put some marker lights on those extensions to keep the law happy. Could probably wire them up with some 3-pin trailer connectors for quick connection/disconnection of the lights.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks nick, yes i think thats what i will do for extending the deck wider, after looking at the truck in my yard it will be the easiest way for sure. thanks for the idea on plug connectors for the lights. and there is enough room under the deck for a ramp so i think i will just cut an opening in the back of it so it can slide in and out. the batteries were dead so the truck is on the charger over night and i will see how it runs tomorrow, tried starting it but having it jumped just didnt work enough. dad says camshaft sensor is very common for these engines and possibly failed? which could make sense why it was found. theif could have been driving it and then it died on him and he just left it there. so like i said before i bought this truck with out knowing the km's, well when i looked at the truck today i thought what did i do? haha interior is very dirty and stained but i think it will clean up not to bad, drivers seat has been welded in the hinge area for the back rest and the foam is very soft/broken in(maybe this was a large guy?) i was thinking this would be some where in the 500kms after having a close look at it. i knew it would not be low k's but was hoping it would be under 400k. well when i powered up the truck i was shocked to see........216680.X i think i know it said 216,6_ _._ now i feel alot better and think i got a great deal on this truck. so far all i need is a steering colum which dad has a spare, and clean the interior up maybe throw a diff set of bucket seats in it? re wire the lights for the deck and install two lights in the top corners of the deck for loading and such. tires should last another year ? this week ill put it on the hoist and check breaks and front end components. then its off to get inspected. as long as no front end work or major repairs are needed ill be into it for $4100.00

Nick568

Reaction score
Actually, I mis-spoke on the 3-pin connector. You'd probably want 2-pin connectors since you just need ground and hot for the marker lights on the side. Connectors like this: Hopkins/2 pole flat set connector kit (47965) | Trailer Wiring Connector | AutoZone.com
If the truck has a trailer harness, that'd be the easiest place to tap into most likely. If not, it'd probably also be easy to tap directly off the tail lights since your flatbed uses trailer tail lights. Wire colors would probably even be the same between your tails and the markers. Your tails would have a 3rd wire though for brake/turn.

What will you be hauling with it? Sleds or ATV's? I guess I had been assuming sleds, but I didn't see where you mentioned it? If you're going to be hauling sleds, it might be worth it to invest in a good set of winter tires. Nothing beats purpose-built tires. Would be expensive, but have you ever heard anyone regret buying them? :p

As for the seats, I would think it'd cost less to have them re-upholstered and have new padding installed. Call a few automotive upholstery shops and see how much it'd cost to have all the foam replaced and new fabric installed. I bet you could get seat heaters installed too for quite a bit less than all new buckets. Could probably even have them upholster the center console.

I'd also price out a set of new shocks/struts for it. Made a huge difference in the ride/handling of my truck with only 90k miles. (~145k km) Just something to consider once you get everything else taken care of first.

Good luck with the truck! That Ford 7.3 diesel should run for a long time without many problems. Once of the best diesel engines on the road, IMO.
Oh, and just be aware that even though the odo says 216k, it might have more. Once you do get it running, I'm sure you'll notice if the odo never changes. :p

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Toy I was looking for a Cummin's, but came across a 95? 7.3 with 175,000 KM's. I think they were wanting $5000. If it had a sweet deck like that I would have bought it!

Good score!

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks nick and shibby, the shocks have been changed, has ranchos front and back with bags in the back aswell. heated seats would be nice for sure, ill be going to the local wreckers to see what i can find for this truck. got it running this morning and it runs great, out of fuel so off to town i go for some fuel. then ill check the odo to see if its working or not, i sure hope it works then ill be set. as for hauling yes just sleds dont own any atv's yet.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks nick and shibby, the shocks have been changed, has ranchos front and back with bags in the back aswell. heated seats would be nice for sure, ill be going to the local wreckers to see what i can find for this truck. got it running this morning and it runs great, out of fuel so off to town i go for some fuel. then ill check the odo to see if its working or not, i sure hope it works then ill be set. as for hauling yes just sleds dont own any atv's yet.

I was reading your original post on how you aquired the truck.. You say it was through ICBC... How would an out fo province person be able to view what they have, and how do you gain acces to their inventory..???
Cheers!

Been looking too for a single purpose vehicle I can use for winter like that one...

Farm_boy

Reaction score
Here ya go, we were headed out for an afternoon of ridin........ DSC_0509.jpg
DSC_0513.jpg
Sled deck is home made, and truck is an 02, but is has since been wrote off, so it got replaced with a 97 F-250

Last edited:

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes thats correct, there is quite a procedure to gain access or have your licence to buy. there are also two sides to the licence. salvage and wrecking. salvage can only be put back on the road and you must have a dealer licence or a body shop. and for the wrecking licence which we have, you must comply with AREA which is a autowreckers assosiation and follow there rules and have inspections every so often. also must have buisness licence and such. it is very hard i have herd to get into. also once you have finished your build it must pass 3 inspections wheel alignment, body integrity, and full mechanical.
now you may also build complete write off's aswell byt having 2-3 of the same car or truck and using equal parts from all of them to build one. you then submit the list of parts from each vin of the vehical and icbc will assign you a new vin number. this is call amalgamated vin.

if your looking to get into something like this i would say look into impact auto auctions. this is a company canada wide and will be alot closer to home for you. there you will find everything from heavy equipment to atvs and snowmobiles and rv trailers. again there is a small process to go threw but has a larger range of things to buy. one nice thing about impact auto is there are active titles being sold which will not need an inspection unless from out of province. also on impact it is live auction style where as icbc is closed bidding so you must bid your max in order to ensure you win.

hope this helps you and gives a little insight.

tyler

I was reading your original post on how you aquired the truck.. You say it was through ICBC... How would an out fo province person be able to view what they have, and how do you gain acces to their inventory..???
Cheers!

Been looking too for a single purpose vehicle I can use for winter like that one...

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i have almost finished one side extension for the deck, truck will be inspected on wensday and hope to have both sides built by weekend. still need to build a ramp and i think im going to do a two peice a LH+RH ramp that will inter lock together in the center. that way it will be lighter to handle. this will be stored up front against the headache racksleds will sit 3-4" back but ohwell. dont really want to spend the money on superclams so i think i will do the steel dowel and maybe two of them. the wife and i have the same sleds so i should be able to put one in front of the spindles and one behind the spindles, locking the front from going forward or back and then using a single tie-down on each rear.

and i wish this was in my persoanl shop, but atleast its dads/where i work so its kinda like my own. the paint booth is almost finished and on the other side of the truck there is a frame machine and obvious hoist where the truck is.

here are a few pics from tonight:
DSC01326.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01328-1.jpg

Top Bottom