Melt Down

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm...well thanks Wally....I though I was going by the map.....:confused:

Cummings is a Trail that becomes a wide road..with mile markers on it..... right????....I though I had it all figured out....:confused:

I will post vid of where I am at....maybe that helps ???

you missed the sharp left right after you cross the bridge. you were on the logging road, not the trail. i don't believe any of the trails have mile markers...

see the below map, you want the green trail, not the red one.

Attachments

• cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 43

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow Summit X......I kept looking at your map(excellent BTW) and now I see it...

past the bridge....there is a left and thats cummings....I kept on to the right....pffttt...!!!

the rest all makes sense now.....geeze I must have gone 25 kms or more down that road......

Thanks for the info on the accident...I read about it in the paper.....wasnt sure of her status.....her dad said she was going way too fast.....

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow Summit X......I kept looking at your map(excellent BTW) and now I see it...

past the bridge....there is a left and thats cummings....I kept on to the right....pffttt...!!!

the rest all makes sense now.....geeze I must have gone 25 kms or more down that road......

Thanks for the info on the accident...I read about it in the paper.....wasnt sure of her status.....her dad said she was going way too fast.....

huh??? in the paper?? which paper?
there was another girl in BC who went off the trail and she didn't survive, you're not thinking about that one are you?

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh??? in the paper?? which paper?
there was another girl in BC who went off the trail and she didn't survive, you're not thinking about that one are you?

nope not that one....

It was in the herald...they mentioned the pine beetle research and the helicopter pilot was close by and saw the accident from the air.... her father made a statement as well.....but it was the same weekend as the fatality in BC very sorry to say.....:(

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
nope not that one....

It was in the herald...they mentioned the pine beetle research and the helicopter pilot was close by and saw the accident from the air.... her father made a statement as well.....but it was the same weekend as the fatality in BC very sorry to say.....:(

I spoke with the Heli Pilot the following weekend and he didn't take any such credit when talking to me. He said that SummitX rode out to him and then went back in to locate the site with GPS while he got the chopper ready for an evac flight, and that they then went in to get her and flew her out to the Inn on the highway. Heard she also had a broken collar bone, but the girl reported she wasn't going fast but that she was trying to adjust something on the rear of her sled while riding and that's when she lost it into the trees.

Good thing you were out there that day to pitch in and get an injured rider out. That heli is only around there when their crews were out working the forest and might have been gone and hour or so later as they were staying at the inn and keep the chopper there at night. Good work in that rescue assist Summit!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crazy, i had no idea it made the newspaper!!

heikki - so i checked your video and heres what i came up with for your time stamps....

Attachments

• cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 48

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k, just found the article Chopper rescues snowmobiler and it's BS. He, the chopper pilot, was reluctant to even go get her as he had work to do. It was only after I explained the seriousness of her condition that he went in to get her.

When he did go get her, he helped greatly and did fly her to the Highwood Inn where they met up with the ambulance. And the guy who went to call for help, he actually called 911 from Eden Valley and told them 3 times to bring a chopper. And what did they do, they sent an ambulance out and they thought they'd toboggan her out of there. So good thing the chopper did help, but it certainly wasn't a random spotting, I made an extra trip 7km back in and out to get the coords on my gps so i could give them to the pilot. Then I got in the chopper and helped narrow it down as handheld gps coords are obviously rough. Then I had to tow out the wrecked sled as the other guy that was left at the scene (the brother) had no idea what to do. Oh, and it was a rental:).

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crazy, i had no idea it made the newspaper!!

heikki - so i checked your video and heres what i came up with for your time stamps....

YEP...good job...now that makes sense.....boy was I off the mark :d

now I know why I always was the kid that got lost at camp :rolleyes:

OH the story WOW.....it goes a long way hearing the real story.... and what really happens behind the scenes that we never hear about....

kills me to read the comments below the story(and other similar stories )....those passionate armchair experts that know it all .....pfffttt !!!

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
you missed the sharp left right after you cross the bridge. you were on the logging road, not the trail. i don't believe any of the trails have mile markers...

see the below map, you want the green trail, not the red one.

You're right, you missed the left turn after the bridge. None of the trails have mile markers on them, the signs do give trail lengths in kms. Maybe I'll see you out there on Sunday. Looking forward to it Gas Can ! I also want to apologize for my smartass comment last week end ! See you tomorrow.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm...well thanks Wally....I though I was going by the map.....:confused: Ive ridden over 500kms at cataract this year :confused:

Cummings is a Trail that becomes a wide road..with mile markers on it..... right????....I though I had it all figured out....:confused:

I will post vid of where I am at....maybe that helps ???

at 2:39 is the fork I am talking about.....and 4:02 you can see the trail intersection which goes up to your left....

[media]http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/kingfisher2010/?action=view&current=cummings1.flv[/media]

I guess I have some more trails to scope out next weekend.....
I've only come in from the Wilkinson rd way. We get onto Cummings ( yes it does turn into rd.) and Skyline is the second right turn or you keep going and turn back onto Oyster. I've only ridden there a few times too so we're still finding trails that we haven't ridden.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone needing someone to ride with that really knows the area call Kevin at (403) 660-7733

Top Bottom