Melt Down

Shock

Reaction score
So with the big melt down is there any snow in Southern Alberta or do we need to go to Bc:mad:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with the big melt down is there any snow in Southern Alberta or do we need to go to Bc:mad:

Its still surprisingly good considering the warm up we have ...at least as far as trails are concerned...probably due to a good amount of snow and cold in the early stages of the season.....

but we need a few good snow storms and some colder weather.....

think crowsnest has warmed up as well...????

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been riding at Cataract this week? Has much snow melted off the trails this week?

jon

Reaction score
rode there last sunday, trails rough as usual for the most part snow ok but i was concidering riding again sunday

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was at castle mountain last sunday and it was great
didnt get into BC cause the pass was all fogged in and didnt want to chance it
bottom trails were rough but lots of snow up top

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was at castle mountain last sunday and it was great
didnt get into BC cause the pass was all fogged in and didnt want to chance it
bottom trails were rough but lots of snow up top
Did you get a new motor or a new sled???

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding Cataract yesterday...same deal..lower trails iced and thin with some bare patches.... still pretty good considering the extent of this warm up....though

upper south trails and cummings......very good....wind effect snow made for nice soft stuff....

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed, it's still decent out there.

it was anywheres from dirt in the low areas where the sun hit, to places like the skyline that had a 1m base with 6cm of fresh, with the majority of the trails somewhere in between. the sun and chinook didn't do as much i had thought, even the trees were still snow loaded in most places.

couple pics from sat jan 17th....

Attachments

• IMG_0886_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0886_reduced.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0887_reduced.JPG
    IMG_0887_reduced.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0899_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0899_reduced.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0900_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0900_reduced.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0902_reduced.jpg
    IMG_0902_reduced.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 52

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed, it's still decent out there.

it was anywheres from dirt in the low areas where the sun hit, to places like the skyline that had a 1m base with 6cm of fresh, with the majority of the trails somewhere in between. the sun and chinook didn't do as much i had thought, even the trees were still snow loaded in most places.

couple pics from sat jan 17th....

Really decent pics.....

question though....second pic from last...where is that.... what trail ??

thanks

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, the last 4 pics were all from skyline.

there is still some snow on the sides that would be sweet to play in (on the higher elevation trails), and trust me did i ever want too!!! however i was just out for a casual ride and had the girlfriend on the sled with me, so i didn't get to venture to far off the beaten path.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skyline by the looks of it, and possibly Oyster up near the top. Looks like there still some snow to the sides that one can trench through. Thanks for the pics Summitx

Another question....:d

I always try to find skyline...but I seem to miss it.....:confused:

when you start heading down south on Cummings.....you come to a fork with an upper trail(straight) and a lower trail(go slight right).....Oyster and Fallers are over the bridge after taking the lower RH trail...and Cummings continues on if go straight at the fork.....

a click or two up Cummings past the fork...a trail runs right across Cummings and goes up from below..is that Skyline..???

you guys are probably LYAO....

And also...is it me or does that narrow creek bed on Fallers come up real fast and out of nowhere.......ILMAO....:eek:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'll have to dig up a map and check out excatly where you are talking about. but i can tell you right off that some of the markers (rivots) on the trail system maps are not right. i'm 100% postive about one place, and i think i found another one yesterday but will need to go back out to confirm.

the other confusing part is the logging road that people use, it makes it really hard to tell sometimes if you are on a trail, or on a road. one thing to look for, if you are seeing miles markers, you're on a road and not a trail....

if nobody posts a response to your question by later today, i'll repost with some answers.

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
i'll have to dig up a map and check out excatly where you are talking about. but i can tell you right off that some of the markers (rivots) on the trail system maps are not right. i'm 100% postive about one place, and i think i found another one yesterday but will need to go back out to confirm.

the other confusing part is the logging road that people use, it makes it really hard to tell sometimes if you are on a trail, or on a road. one thing to look for, if you are seeing miles markers, you're on a road and not a trail....

if nobody posts a response to your question by later today, i'll repost with some answers.

I am not aware of any that are not correct, been riding out there a lot of years, can you let me know where you suspect theres a problem?
Forecast is calling for possible flurries this friday, have to work on Saturday, but may go out there Sunday to check them out if anyone wants to join me.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I am not aware of any that are not correct, been riding out there a lot of years, can you let me know where you suspect theres a problem?
Forecast is calling for possible flurries this friday, have to work on Saturday, but may go out there Sunday to check them out if anyone wants to join me.

I'll ride the trails with you on Sunday Joel. Sounds like a great day to hit them all and see what the ones I haven't been on look like. See you at the club meeting tomorrow night.

G.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another question....:d

I always try to find skyline...but I seem to miss it.....:confused:

when you start heading down south on Cummings.....you come to a fork with an upper trail(straight) and a lower trail(go slight right).....Oyster and Fallers are over the bridge after taking the lower RH trail...and Cummings continues on if go straight at the fork.....

a click or two up Cummings past the fork...a trail runs right across Cummings and goes up from below..is that Skyline..???

you guys are probably LYAO....

And also...is it me or does that narrow creek bed on Fallers come up real fast and out of nowhere.......ILMAO....:eek:
Here's a map where it shows Skyline runs off Pasque in between Oyster and Cummings. Hope it helps.
Cataract1.jpg

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a map where it shows Skyline runs off Pasque in between Oyster and Cummings. Hope it helps.
View attachment 43883

Hmm...well thanks Wally....I though I was going by the map.....:confused: Ive ridden over 500kms at cataract this year :confused:

Cummings is a Trail that becomes a wide road..with mile markers on it..... right????....I though I had it all figured out....:confused:

I will post vid of where I am at....maybe that helps ???

at 2:39 is the fork I am talking about.....and 4:02 you can see the trail intersection which goes up to your left....

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/kingfisher2010/?action=view&current=cummings1.flv

I guess I have some more trails to scope out next weekend.....

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

haha, you still got me confused!!

KW - here is a map with what (i think) i know. i'm almost positive that the two intersections shown with red dots have the same 'you are here' markers on the maps on the trails.

the intersection i wasn't sure on is shown in orange. it think the confusion here comes from riding the logging road and so orientating yourself is hard, but i'm tempted to say the markers are the same in those places too.

i'm not trying to say you guys haven't done a great job out there, cause you have. kudos. you have way better markings than most of the other areas i've riden.

actually, i was out there a couple weeks ago and was flagged down by a group where a girl had hit tree. i knew my way out and so i led one of the guys to the parking lot so he could go call for a chopper, but worse case they could have followed the signage out. turns out i used some coords from my gps and the guys that were there spraying for pine beetle heli lifted me in and we got her to safety. she ended up with a punctured lung, ruptured spleen, bruised kidney, brusied intestine and some broken ribs. but, she was alive and will recover fully. signage is very important for this reason, in case something happens and people need to get out asap. so thanks for taking the time to do what you do.

and, i also may be around and looking for a ride on sunday... maybe i'll come with you guys. we can check things out first hand that way.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom