Question for the electricians out there

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the 2nd time in 10years I've replaced the outlet in our stove. Same issue both times.
We keep the toaster oven plugged in, and somehow over time the cord starts to fit sloppy, lean over in the outlet.
We don't unplug the toaster oven. So maybe that's my issue?

Anyway I'm wondering why my plugs are melting like this. You can see the one prong has melted the plastic and turned sideways. Both times it's the larger prong side.

20230202_140225.jpg
20230202_140235.jpg

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A quick video showing how loose the plug fits in. Black is the old one. White is the new one.

Attachments

• 20230202_133002.mp4
    85.3 MB

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outlet say 15amp 120V.
Toaster over doesn't give an amperage.
But 120volt - 60hz 1100w

Go to the hardware store and look at what a real 15amp oulet looks like. That outlet is a joke. It can handle 15 amps maybe, but not for 20mins straight while you cook your pizza pops. Its getting too hot and melting. Simple as that. Thats good for 1 or 2amps maybe... 1100watt Toaster oven is drawing around 10amps

But do you though lol

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll even melt a good 50$ outlet if you leave a space heater or something that draws 1000-1500 watts in for too long....

That stove outlet has spade connector and probably 18 gauge stranded wire feeding into it to. Its over loaded.

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info lilduke.
Will have to relocate to toaster oven to a different counter where there's an actual plug.

From a consumer standpoint it'd be nice if those stove top plugs could handle it.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a bad connection causing heat your male
End may be damaged aswell
From the heat buildup over the years.
Sometimes loose things are cool …… u dont want your electrical to be part of that group lol

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not very. Thought I was going to pull the wires out of them. Even putting them on the new one they were tight.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not very. Thought I was going to pull the wires out of them. Even putting them on the new one they were tight.

That's not it then. Some heat coming from somewhere though. Wherever you plug it in next time you use it, as soon as it times out, unplug it and see if the male cord cap is hot on that side. May be as simple as a high resistance connection inside the molded cord cap. Appliances are notorious for that. If it's hot replace the cord cap.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not it then. Some heat coming from somewhere though. Wherever you plug it in next time you use it, as soon as it times out, unplug it and see if the male cord cap is hot on that side. May be as simple as a high resistance connection inside the molded cord cap. Appliances are notorious for that. If it's hot replace the cord cap.
Thanks. I will do so and see what happens.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That plug can't handle long term amperage draw. Plus, the fact of never unplugging it. Receptacles are self cleaning when you plug in/out. Meaning, the layer of oxidization on the plug gets wiped off when you insert/remove. Not doing this allows the oxidization to continue, thus creating resistance. And with resistance comes heat. Creating more oxidization, more resistance, more heat. You get the picture. Plug into a proper counter plug and unplug it once in a while.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That plug can't handle long term amperage draw. Plus, the fact of never unplugging it. Receptacles are self cleaning when you plug in/out. Meaning, the layer of oxidization on the plug gets wiped off when you insert/remove. Not doing this allows the oxidization to continue, thus creating resistance. And with resistance comes heat. Creating more oxidization, more resistance, more heat. You get the picture. Plug into a proper counter plug and unplug it once in a while.
Disclaimer: Try not using a small knife or fork to perform this cleaning function. Leave it to the professionals like Trudeau.

t300

Reaction score
Plus, the fact of never unplugging it. Receptacles are self cleaning when you plug in/out. Meaning, the layer of oxidization on the plug gets wiped off when you insert/remove. Not doing this allows the oxidization to continue, thus creating resistance. And with resistance comes heat. Creating more oxidization, more resistance, more heat. You get the picture. Plug into a proper counter plug and unplug it once in a while.

As the kids say “I was today years old when I learnt this”. Thanks!

Top Bottom