megacab longbed

duramaxdan

Reaction score
anyone know of a good frame shop around edmonton that might want to tackle this mod? u can get a kit from precision body line to do the modd your self just have to supply your own bed and drive shaft

also anyone know of a company that has take off 2010 or 11 dodge fleet side longbox's

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know of a good frame shop around edmonton that might want to tackle this mod? u can get a kit from precision body line to do the modd your self just have to supply your own bed and drive shaft

also anyone know of a company that has take off 2010 or 11 dodge fleet side longbox's

Did you happen to get the kit price? I was told that they do the whole thing for $6000, I think buy the time you find a box, paint it "if needed" then diy not a big saving imo. But my MC has factory tan on the bottom 10" of the truck so it would be tough to find a paint match box!

Used box = $2500 ish at least... guessing
paint = $2000 ..guessing
drive shaft = $500....guessing
jigs to keep it straight??
time and grinding wheels ??

duramaxdan

Reaction score
$1400 for the kit
not trying or dont really think it would save any money on the conversion itself
just the time off work and driving etc down thier to get it done and the good old border crossing

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1400 for the kit
not trying or dont really think it would save any money on the conversion itself
just the time off work and driving etc down thier to get it done and the good old border crossing

Crap I was hoping that kit would be Like $2500, so it would make it easy to decide. Do they charge $ 6000 for them to do it?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeh thats a pretty serious mod. stretching near 3ft in the frame. will probably have to double frame past your splice or have a heavy reinforcment that will bolt on from the outside. what does it do to your payload? will definitly drop, with a mega cab and long box you probably wouldn't be able to haul much in the box when you add the weight of the box and frame and reinforcment to your tare weight as the large cabs are already heavy on the rear axles. driveshaft will need to be 2 piecs i am sure so now it is 2 shafts, should be able to salvage parts from the original, so looking at around 1500 for shafts, labour on a new unit looking at around 50-60 hrs to remove box measure and cut frame,install the stretch, reweld,clean up welds and install reinforcement piece, and paint frame piece, all wiring extend, brake lines, e brake cable, driveshaft install and set angles, perform driveshaft analysis, will have to make and install another crossmember or 2. depending on what the manufacturer asks for. of course this all depends on the manufacturer allowing you to do this, it sounds like it is possible though as they mak the kit for it.

good luck but looks /sounds like it will be very pricey to do.

funrider

Reaction score
The best would be is to make a holiday out of it.Drive down fly to Vegas have fun then drive back the dollar is good and who knows you might even come out ahead ha ha probably not

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeh thats a pretty serious mod. stretching near 3ft in the frame. will probably have to double frame past your splice or have a heavy reinforcment that will bolt on from the outside. what does it do to your payload? will definitly drop, with a mega cab and long box you probably wouldn't be able to haul much in the box when you add the weight of the box and frame and reinforcment to your tare weight as the large cabs are already heavy on the rear axles. driveshaft will need to be 2 piecs i am sure so now it is 2 shafts, should be able to salvage parts from the original, so looking at around 1500 for shafts, labour on a new unit looking at around 50-60 hrs to remove box measure and cut frame,install the stretch, reweld,clean up welds and install reinforcement piece, and paint frame piece, all wiring extend, brake lines, e brake cable, driveshaft install and set angles, perform driveshaft analysis, will have to make and install another crossmember or 2. depending on what the manufacturer asks for. of course this all depends on the manufacturer allowing you to do this, it sounds like it is possible though as they mak the kit for it.

good luck but looks /sounds like it will be very pricey to do.

I believe Precision Bodyline MegaCab LongBed Conversions claims nothing changes payload or warrenty wise. I did a streach on a YJ, turned it into a YJ-8 it did not take 60 hours! I might of had 60H in to it total with the v8 swap and spring flip!

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just use duct tape its the handyman's tool lol red green would do it I bet lol :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe Precision Bodyline MegaCab LongBed Conversions claims nothing changes payload or warrenty wise. I did a streach on a YJ, turned it into a YJ-8 it did not take 60 hours! I might of had 60H in to it total with the v8 swap and spring flip!

i wonder were they do the stretch? do they weld onto the back and slide diff back? or cut in the middle between cab and diff? makes a difference of 1 weld and length of reinforcement, gauranteed you wil lose payload as you are adding weight to the tare,it has to come from somewhere.
how far did you stretch you yj, did you have to lift off the body? stretch the body panels? or buy different cab? find it hard to believe less than 60hrs if you had to move diffs etc. and move body.
60hrs is less than a week with 2 guys.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u look there is a factory seam in the frame. I believe this is where they add the stretch right between the front spring mount so the " load is split" across the spring mount and frame. The yj I did the same way

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dork Zoom has pics on slowest, there is even a utube link of them making is truck longer. Image he got it free for having there name on the side of his truck & video. It was the shop from SLC area.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks maxwell, looks pretty much like i thought it would, they say most get done in three buisness days probably 2 guys i would assume makes for 48hrs, so timline is about right. and they already have the box ready to go so that also save s a bit of time.
would be a beotch to turn around though.:eek:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks maxwell, looks pretty much like i thought it would, they say most get done in three buisness days probably 2 guys i would assume makes for 48hrs, so timline is about right. and they already have the box ready to go so that also save s a bit of time.
would be a beotch to turn around though.:eek:

Try parking in any Red Deer mall, I'm ready to bring my own floor jack to be able to swing the back end in!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the c in the frame is a factory seam,just in front of where they cut it off. Then they use the origanal frame as a sleve to fit the streach over top and weld to factoy seam, then I think they fish plate it after..I think.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here ya go fellas! I emailed them to see what it costs to streeeeeeetch my 08 3500MC ....:rolleyes:

Overkill,
The cost for your truck is $5500 total. That cost includes us painting a longbox to match your truck. So all you have to do is show up with your truck, hang out for 2-3 days and drive home in a long bed Mega Cab.
The specs that guys typically want is the overall length when finished- 22'6".
Your factory warranty stays in place, it does not affect the title at all, and all your tow ratings remain the same as any dodge long bed 3500 truck.

Precision Bodyline
610 N. Main St.
North Salt Lake, Ut 84054
Precision Bodyline: MegaCab LongBed Conversions
801-397-0581

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here ya go fellas! I emailed them to see what it costs to streeeeeeetch my 08 3500MC ....:rolleyes:

Overkill,
The cost for your truck is $5500 total. That cost includes us painting a longbox to match your truck. So all you have to do is show up with your truck, hang out for 2-3 days and drive home in a long bed Mega Cab.
The specs that guys typically want is the overall length when finished- 22'6".
Your factory warranty stays in place, it does not affect the title at all, and all your tow ratings remain the same as any dodge long bed 3500 truck.

Precision Bodyline
610 N. Main St.
North Salt Lake, Ut 84054
Precision Bodyline: MegaCab LongBed Conversions
801-397-0581

A couple of my buddys have taken their trucks there for the stretch. They love the new combination!

Now would be a good time to do it as our dollar is so strong. If you are a bit sneaky you might not even have to pay GST tax on the job. Just buy some souveniers and say you went on a holiday. lol Even if you do have to pay...write it off as a business expense! You do not have to pay duty on goods manufactured in the USA...just GST.

Good luck with your truck!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of my buddys have taken their trucks there for the stretch. They love the new combination!

Now would be a good time to do it as our dollar is so strong. If you are a bit sneaky you might not even have to pay GST tax on the job. Just buy some souveniers and say you went on a holiday. lol Even if you do have to pay...write it off as a business expense! You do not have to pay duty on goods manufactured in the USA...just GST.

Good luck with your truck!

i was thinkin just go down and pay cash and come home. who is to know the difference.:confused:

Top Bottom