Number of car owners expected to plummet

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It may not be too long until you look around and notice fewer cars parked in driveways in your neighborhood. Less than 10 years, in fact. The number of people calling themselves car owners could be cut significantly if things play out the way auto execs believe it will.
But that doesn’t mean shops will see fewer cars. Instead of owning, consumers will turn to rental services when in need of wheels.
Almost 60 per cent of 1,000 industry executives across 42 countries say half of today’s car owners won’t want to own a car in 2025, according to the Global Automotive Executive Survey, compiled by accounting and advisory firm KPMG.
This means disruption could be huge, the report said. “The main business model of the automotive industry today relies on car ownership. However, if 50 per cent of today’s car owners no longer want to own a car anymore by 2025, it would entail a drastic revenue drop for today’s automotive industry, and the business model disruption would be even more dramatic.”
More than a third of consumers agree with this possible future. Agreement went up as you went lower in age groups. Those aged 18-24 sat at 42 per cent, while only 19 per cent of those aged over 65 agreed.
[h=2]“I love having my own car. I come from a different era. Maybe people don’t care, but I still think there’s a love affair with the car.”[/h]
Peter Hatges, KPMG Canada​
Consumers would use mobility as a service (MaaS) — car-sharing and car rentals — once they are seemingly fed up with everything that goes into driving yourself around.
“This might show that the customer cannot yet let go of car ownership and will only tend towards shared economy mobility concepts (MaaS) when the cost and discomfort of a self-owned vehicle (discomfort of finding parking, traffic congestion, etc.) becomes significantly higher than the utility of car ownership,” the report said.
But Peter Hatges isn’t sold on the idea. KPMG Canada’s national sector leader, automotive has his doubts that things will play out the way the executives think.
“The jury is out for me as to whether people will resort to that kind of usage,” Hatges said. “I love having my own car. I come from a different era. Maybe people don’t care, but I still think there’s a love affair with the car. I think the technology inside the car, the fact that it’s yours, the fact that you’ve personalized it and can make it different, I think still stands out to people. So hopefully that’s not going to change.”
That loss of personalization will make owners stand out from renters. “I think if cars become merely rental assets, I think they will lose a lot of their personalization and uniqueness because people won’t care,” he said. “And then you’ll have this distinction in the market between cars that are rented and cars that are owned. Cars that are owned will be very different. They will be personalized, they’ll (look) better, they’ll be cooler.”
The aftermarket will continue to be served by consumers who want to personalize their cars, and that will be a market to exploit. However, Hatges warned, it won’t be a shop’s bread and butter.
[h=2]I think the benefit is, you will be able to service a large and predictable fleet of vehicles. And that’s pretty good. That makes for good business because you’ll have an identifiable market.[/h]
“I think when people buy their own cars, I think there’s an inclination to make it different, so the aftermarket exists partially to serve that, partially to serve customers that want to maintain their cars, etc.,” Hatges said. The emergence of a “rental market or non-owner market” could lead to “a big reduction in aftermarket part usage and modifications of that nature. If you’re renting a car, you’re not going to change the exhaust system to make it sportier.”
More cookie-cutter cars on the road could mean added pressure from rental companies on manufacturers and suppliers. Expect to hear a lot about price concessions, Hatges predicted. “Big rental car fleets will start to maximize value … (vehicles) won’t be stocked with all the latest stuff as opposed to a car that you might buy yourself.”
And price concessions also will affect technicians, pushing change on the way the industry operates. The business model could shift due to the change in the number of car owners versus car renters.
“You’ll have big rental pools that are maintained on a more centralized basis,” Hatges said.
Car rental companies will ask for discounts and better service if they’re supplying a shop with a fleet of vehicles. But, Hatges said, it may be something shops are willing to do in exchange for the volume of work.
“I think the benefit is, you will be able to service a large and predictable fleet of vehicles. And that’s pretty good. That makes for good business because you’ll have an identifiable market. Then you’ll know exactly where the market is (and) then you know exactly what the market needs,” he said. “So you’re able to streamline your business accordingly. And while it’ll be price competitive, hopefully the volume impact of that makes it lucrative (to) deal with the size and scale of the rental fleets that might emerge.”

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big city with good transit yes. My niece and nephew who live in the vancouver area both in there 20's don't drive. With car sharing, uber, ride sharing etc there is less need to own one.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
4b0a4dd48d9b9925e4e5f6236c367c78.jpg
Ww are busy as fawk right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big city with good transit yes. My niece and nephew who live in the vancouver area both in there 20's don't drive. With car sharing, uber, ride sharing etc there is less need to own one.

I agree with this statement to a point. I was in Berlin last May, and there is probably no need to own a vehicle living there. The transit system is unreal. Hell, we got from Munich to Berlin by train in something like 6 hours. Certainly a different situation living in Northern Alberta.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big city living I can see it happen. There are already car share businesses and uber and lyft are huge in cities. Combine that with the shrink of rural living and the exodus to urban living and the crazy cost of vehicle ownership and it's not a stretch.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Must be 40 of those a day going by my house right now.

TURN OFF YOUR FRIGGING ENGINE BRAKES GOING THROUGH TOWN!

There. I feel so much better now.

No ......lol, quit cutting me off and hitting the brakes, I feel better now haha

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may not be too long until you look around and notice fewer cars parked in driveways in your neighborhood. Less than 10 years, in fact. The number of people calling themselves car owners could be cut significantly if things play out the way auto execs believe it will.
But that doesn’t mean shops will see fewer cars. Instead of owning, consumers will turn to rental services when in need of wheels.
Almost 60 per cent of 1,000 industry executives across 42 countries say half of today’s car owners won’t want to own a car in 2025, according to the Global Automotive Executive Survey, compiled by accounting and advisory firm KPMG.
This means disruption could be huge, the report said. “The main business model of the automotive industry today relies on car ownership. However, if 50 per cent of today’s car owners no longer want to own a car anymore by 2025, it would entail a drastic revenue drop for today’s automotive industry, and the business model disruption would be even more dramatic.”
More than a third of consumers agree with this possible future. Agreement went up as you went lower in age groups. Those aged 18-24 sat at 42 per cent, while only 19 per cent of those aged over 65 agreed.
“I love having my own car. I come from a different era. Maybe people don’t care, but I still think there’s a love affair with the car.”

Consumers would use mobility as a service (MaaS) — car-sharing and car rentals — once they are seemingly fed up with everything that goes into driving yourself around.
“This might show that the customer cannot yet let go of car ownership and will only tend towards shared economy mobility concepts (MaaS) when the cost and discomfort of a self-owned vehicle (discomfort of finding parking, traffic congestion, etc.) becomes significantly higher than the utility of car ownership,” the report said.
But Peter Hatges isn’t sold on the idea. KPMG Canada’s national sector leader, automotive has his doubts that things will play out the way the executives think.
“The jury is out for me as to whether people will resort to that kind of usage,” Hatges said. “I love having my own car. I come from a different era. Maybe people don’t care, but I still think there’s a love affair with the car. I think the technology inside the car, the fact that it’s yours, the fact that you’ve personalized it and can make it different, I think still stands out to people. So hopefully that’s not going to change.”
That loss of personalization will make owners stand out from renters. “I think if cars become merely rental assets, I think they will lose a lot of their personalization and uniqueness because people won’t care,” he said. “And then you’ll have this distinction in the market between cars that are rented and cars that are owned. Cars that are owned will be very different. They will be personalized, they’ll (look) better, they’ll be cooler.”
The aftermarket will continue to be served by consumers who want to personalize their cars, and that will be a market to exploit. However, Hatges warned, it won’t be a shop’s bread and butter.
I think the benefit is, you will be able to service a large and predictable fleet of vehicles. And that’s pretty good. That makes for good business because you’ll have an identifiable market.

“I think when people buy their own cars, I think there’s an inclination to make it different, so the aftermarket exists partially to serve that, partially to serve customers that want to maintain their cars, etc.,” Hatges said. The emergence of a “rental market or non-owner market” could lead to “a big reduction in aftermarket part usage and modifications of that nature. If you’re renting a car, you’re not going to change the exhaust system to make it sportier.”
More cookie-cutter cars on the road could mean added pressure from rental companies on manufacturers and suppliers. Expect to hear a lot about price concessions, Hatges predicted. “Big rental car fleets will start to maximize value … (vehicles) won’t be stocked with all the latest stuff as opposed to a car that you might buy yourself.”
And price concessions also will affect technicians, pushing change on the way the industry operates. The business model could shift due to the change in the number of car owners versus car renters.
“You’ll have big rental pools that are maintained on a more centralized basis,” Hatges said.
Car rental companies will ask for discounts and better service if they’re supplying a shop with a fleet of vehicles. But, Hatges said, it may be something shops are willing to do in exchange for the volume of work.
“I think the benefit is, you will be able to service a large and predictable fleet of vehicles. And that’s pretty good. That makes for good business because you’ll have an identifiable market. Then you’ll know exactly where the market is (and) then you know exactly what the market needs,” he said. “So you’re able to streamline your business accordingly. And while it’ll be price competitive, hopefully the volume impact of that makes it lucrative (to) deal with the size and scale of the rental fleets that might emerge.”

This may be an opinion of some auto execs in smaller countries, but I doubt this would apply in any great way in North America We like our cars too much and need the mobility. The enviro-weenies that populate the inner cities may like this idea when they're young, but as they get older, have families and outgrow the one room apartments, they'll need a vehicle.
Besides, how can they get out to the sticks to protest OHV use without a Subaru or Volvo?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be 40 of those a day going by my house right now.

TURN OFF YOUR FRIGGING ENGINE BRAKES GOING THROUGH TOWN!

There. I feel so much better now.

I second this complant, I much rather you bolt through town and don't use your brakes...whisper quite this way lol.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the price of vehicles keeps going up too I can see it changing things in the city. 100grand for a new diesel pickup is pretty outrageous. Even the bottom end stuff is getting pricey. I don't see wages going up enough to match that. Manufacturers might just price themselves out of the market.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many people are paying 100k for a pickup? Lots of guys on here buying new trucks. I doubt anyone is paying anywhere close to that. You're a bonehead that has too much cash or don't know how to negotiate and should take someone with you lol

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may be an opinion of some auto execs in smaller countries, but I doubt this would apply in any great way in North America We like our cars too much and need the mobility. The enviro-weenies that populate the inner cities may like this idea when they're young, but as they get older, have families and outgrow the one room apartments, they'll need a vehicle.
Besides, how can they get out to the sticks to protest OHV use without a Subaru or Volvo?

You've got a 30 year old way of thinking on this. Urban populations are increasing, transit service is expanding and many of the coming generation will not have kids or ever move out of their city apartments. Combine that with increased immigration and a growing lower class/poverty and you've got ingredients for greatly reduced vehicle ownership in North America.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An auto owner will be the "trendy"coming target by the cityites .... in the not to distant future I would suggest.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many people are paying 100k for a pickup? Lots of guys on here buying new trucks. I doubt anyone is paying anywhere close to that. You're a bonehead that has too much cash or don't know how to negotiate and should take someone with you lol

Ford King ranch and gm denelis are in the $90g range, not far from the $100g mark. Put a few blings and cha clings your knocking on that door. Bought new trucks every two years but pumped the brakes on a 17, msrp at $87g to replace my 15 lariat that I paid $79g for...no fkn way.
wait till end of season they drop prices but until then there additude is pound sand.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've got a 30 year old way of thinking on this. Urban populations are increasing, transit service is expanding and many of the coming generation will not have kids or ever move out of their city apartments. Combine that with increased immigration and a growing lower class/poverty and you've got ingredients for greatly reduced vehicle ownership in North America.

I disagree. It's human nature to try to better yourself and your lifestyle. It's trendy right now to be an urban enviro weenie. As the world sees that climate change is a manufactured control scheme, and as urban inner cities become ghettoized by immigrants, people will flee the inner cities and head outwards to the burbs or more so the surrounding bedroom communities. Don't confuse Europe with North America. We've got lots of land and do not need to be forced into sardine cans.
The population in North America is only growing due to immigration. And there's two types of immigrants, those that come to better themselves and contribute, and those who come to abuse the system, take handouts and do little but live off the government and breed like rabbits.
The first group will contribute, prosper buy cars and houses etc. The second group will stick together, ghettoize the cities and force the regular working folk outwards, and they will buy cars, houses etc.
If you don't think this is true, look at Europe. Large tracts of the big cities have been surrendered to the immigrants that refuse to assimilate and the businesses and people are heading for smaller outlying communities.
Its true that urban populations are increasing, but that doesn't mean that fewer consumables including cars will be sold to those that contribute and have the means to purchase them. There's never a shortage of new communities on the outskirts of big cities. Communities where cars are needed to get around.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard roumers that farm folks we're going back to Ox and Cart since they don't want to rent a horse too get around in the cities.

It's expected that the 2 billion in the Ox and Cart industry will grow by 10% over the next 20 too 30 years.

Folks in Rome will use chariots in-stead in-case they plan on invading other countries like Jamaica or Ice Land,,, much lighter and easier to get around in with better fuel mileage.

Us Red Neck folks in the West might take on the 4 pony Chuck Wagons as we like stuff, and it's easy to pack all our worldly possessions every where we go. Ha.

These are all roumers as I found much of this information on some guys "Twitter Feed" named Donald. Must be true with a name like that.

Yuppers as many kinda of modes of travel could return.
The wheel-barrel, shopping cart that is used today, model T car hitched up too horses, peddle bikes, skate boards, and hover boards. LOL.

Walking might even show up too.

Change times in a changing world that travels millions of miles threw space every 24 hours, who know what we will slam into at this rate as unknowns that make life worth living...

Can't wait for the big bang Theory too happen as its one 4@!! of a ride so far.

Can't wait for my first cup of coffee this morning, yum yum.

Lem

Top Bottom