Media feedback at CBC

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rest in peace our fallen McBride sledders.

The CBC website CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV BC Region has an article about the recent tragedy at McBride.

The site allows readers to submit comments on the article. Some of the comments are very alarming about sledding. Most of the dumb comments are from people who never get off the couch of their downtown appartment loft.

Here is one of many dumb posts. The feedback below the dashed line is the piss off.

The full link is:

The most recent stupid post is:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BartV24, sorry I missed your post;

"The cost to the taxpayer to recover or rescue these people is a petty, trivial amount relative to the costs associated with treating the poor health of smokers, drinkers and drug users.

The spirit shown by backcountry adventurers is emblamatic of our nations spirit; a similar spirit our founding citizens had to link our country by rail and road, and how our first crops were planted in the wild prairies."

------

You're great Bart, now sledders are pioneers, creating a greater outdoors for us all to live in and enjoy. You don't get it, you're wrecking the joint, causing damage, (talk about a spin doctor, lol) I've met many sledders and lots are smokers and drink heavy. Some of heaviest drinkers I know are sledders. That adventuresome spirit you talk about promotes other things too. These sledders aren't crosscountry marathon skiers who are trying to eke every last once of strength out of their bodies thus increasing their aerobic and anaereobic abilities next time out, all the while enjoying and not damaging the environment, the sledders are roaring around creating noise and havoc at mother natures expense. Planting crops...lol.....Spin on.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What a bunch of dumb fu**ks waste their time on CBC.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know i read some of that made me sick man...

****The search and rescue cost of this recreational activity must be bourne by the participants, not the Canadian public.

****I just got my Ford F-1000, my Kawasaki, a no fear sticker on my cab, a sticker of Calvin pissing on something and now I'm ready to Rock! Where can I get some real man avalanche action!

****Why not leave the rescue and recovery responsibility to their families. If the snowmobilers are thoughtless enouth t oleave them behind, why should anyone else pay the price? Maybe the poor grieving families would tell the adventurers to stay home.

****Perhaps anyone snowmobiling in the back country should have to put down a deposit to pay for SAR services should they be needed. You get it back if you come back, otherwise it is used to pay for the expensive rescue that you caused. I would prefer to see that rather than insurance because not everyone goes into the mountains to snowmobile. And the money is only spent should you need rescue, call it peace of mind. The tax payers should not be on the hook for all these rescues.

****It's becoming very difficult to feel sorry for these people anymore. Did they read the sign ?

If you went to a beach at the ocean and there were signs that said "CLOSED, SHARK DANGER"

Would you still go swimming ? And if you did, and were eaten by sharks, should somebody feel sorry for you ??

I guess I just don't get it.

****Anyway, all those folks who say that people who go into the backcounrty are crazy, irresponsible, and morally blame-worthy are in my mind absolutely nuts. Yes, foolish city kids who go "out of bounds" behind Cypress Bowl are being dumb. But to say one is irresponsible for using our magnificant back-country is outrageous. Learning about and enjoying the outdoors is critical for this province and its future.

As for relative risks, I note that you city-slickers in 2004 caused 2,889 road deaths including 1,546 drivers, 617 passengers, 374 pedestrians, 218 motorcyclists and 73 bicyclists. Nevermind the obese and smokers.

How dare you walk, cycle, eat, or drive in the streets! You irresponsible nuts!

****Time to ban snowmobiles. Why do people NEED to snowmobile anyway, epecially with automatic and semi-automtic snowmobiles. These high powered machine chase wildlife and put people where they don`t belong at tht that time of year. Silly adults playing like boys. In the immortal woirds of out great leader Mator Miller, ban, ban ban.

****I am absolutely fed up with hearing of another idiot machine (aka snowmobile) accident and loss of life, and how the guy was experienced and carried the right equipment. Big deal! They are still dead. Do these guys care4fully survey where they are going, and stop to check the snow layers, or the degree of slope, etc. I doubt it. These things are made to rip, create noise, pollution, and disturb nature and wildlife habitats.

Also, how long are our police and other rescue forces going to be required to expend energy, time and cost in looking for this stupid so-called sport? The thing may have a spot in outlying areas of Canada such as in the north, or in other emergency situaions, but not as toys for grown-up(?) children who love to tear about for absolutely no reason.

****skiing,snowshoeing,hiking and such are bona fide uses of the wilderness whereas gas guzzling,exhaust spewing,snow compacting, noise making environmental assault vehicles are an insult

****I'm not a country guy, so I don't do have the backwoods experience.
But I love playing on train tracks and highway on ramps.
And running through the metro system is quite exhilirating.
Winter pastimes include grabing the fender of a bus and sliding along the ice covered road.
(I'm being facetious)

What I find really ironic is that they call themselves sledders.
News flash.
There is no sled.
There aren't even any dogs.
You are sitting there on a motorized machine doing nothing.
It sounds like the most laziest, selfish excuse of an activity.
You'd get more exercise sitting in front of the tv doing a munchie run to the fridge every half hour.

+++++To those that think SAR should be user pay. If you are ever in an automobile crash or plane crash or what have you,where you need to be rescued or your body recovered, do you think you should have to pay for that?
You already do and it's through taxes. Taxes that include SAR services for all people no matter what their poison. Get out and enjoy your life rather than sitting in your downtown Vancouver apartment trying to tell the rest of us how we should live our lives.

****From what i've seen of most Albertans perfoming in back country
In B.C., they think of no one but themselves. They don't respect nature,
the environment, Or other people. We need them here like we need the
clap. Too much money and no brains. I have Albertans running up and
down my street in my town, in the summer, on their motorcycles at 50,
- 60 M.P.H. with disregard for every one living on the street. Their self
centered and care less about other people. Let them get caught in the
avelanches, who cares. Less idiots to ruin our enviroment in the summer.

****I get a laugh out of sledders who talk about the backcountry and in the same breath say there are hundreds of you. Backcountry ceases to be backcountry when there are hundreds of you. You've simply turned it into a different form of polluted busy highway. In the summer the same place is even more torn up by quads. Weekend warriors; the boys having fun, lose a buddy once in a while, but having fun. Do you race up and down mud holes with monster trucks too?, then burn the couch or old car you towed in?

"He was able to pull himself out but he couldn't find his two friends even though the groups was equipped with beacons and shovels"

Yeah, you guys are real prepared, real clever, drone on fools.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once again its not everyone whose doin' this sport..... get out your rain soaked aprt. & head up to cypress bowl just for the chair ride atleast!!!!!

KingCatz

Reaction score
Wtf? Half the fun of sledding is enjoying the outdoors. We don't damage anything, nor create havoc out there either. These people obviously don't sled... It isn't like hoping in a car and riding to work. It is very good exercise. I'd like to see them boondock/highmark all day and not break a sweat and run out of breath.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after going through that...im amazed how many "STUPID" people there really are. if anyone was talking to me and said any one of those things i might just loose it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf? Half the fun of sledding is enjoying the outdoors. We don't damage anything, nor create havoc out there either. These people obviously don't sled... It isn't like hoping in a car and riding to work. It is very good exercise. I'd like to see them boondock/highmark all day and not break a sweat and run out of breath.

i go to the gym 3 times a week for 4 hours.

after a day of sledding im at least 10x more bagged and in shape than from a workout

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know what we should do. we need to take these media junkies up for a weekend to show them whats up. why we do this. they need to make a story about snowmobilers that shows what its really about and how respondsible we all are.

ill put up the sleds and my place in valemount.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have trouble reading those articles and the feedback due to these people's ignorance. The thing that ticks me off the most is many of these folks have no idea of which they speak. Many of them live in Toronto, where yes, a snowmobile would be a terrible investment.

Some people do not understand the desire to be in the mountains or the effort required to get there, but that has been covered in this thread already.

Then again, how could we expect someone who's idea of 'wilderness' consists of visiting high park in an afternoon to get where we are coming from. It is something those people have never experienced.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My reply to most of the commenters is.....:d

Attachments

• stupid_go be it somewhere else.jpg
    stupid_go be it somewhere else.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 509

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Im not surprised by there views,there city folk most have never been or even seen backcountry enough to get the feeling of being out there which is like a drug,once youve started its hard to stop,what gets me is the enviromental comment,they all live in big citys with transit but I bet most if not all still own cars,if they were that worried about it they would take the bus everywhere.I would love to have a face to face discusion with one of them,I love gettin rielled up.LOL.
JIM

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just some more couch potatoe,tree huggin people that just don't understand.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just some more couch potato,tree huggin people that just don't understand.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just some more couch potato,tree huggin people that just don't understand.

And are obviously speinding too much time at the computer looking for something to vent their misdirected anger at.

Mtsledder

Reaction score
It sounds like the most laziest, selfish excuse of an activity.
You'd get more exercise sitting in front of the tv doing a munchie run to the fridge every half hour.

I thought I would be upset reading those comments but now I'm just mad. Lazy?? More exercise sitting infront of the tv?? Wow, they really have no clue what we put our bodies through just to enjoy what mother nature has giving us! I swear, sledders invented the hot tub. I know after a day of sledding I'm pretty sore and I learn that I have muscle I never even knew I had!! Who needs to go to the gym when you can go sledding for the weekend!! Out of all the people I have met in the mountains, no one is out there to ruin nature, to chase after the wildlife or anything like that. Yeah, there are the odd guys out there with a can and pipe and you want to tell them to shut off their sled cause it's annoying. Yet that doesn't happen very often. Sledders are in the mountains to challenge themselfs, to enjoy time with friends and family and to see what beauty really is. We take risks and we know what could happen and we are accepting to the fact that we might not make it home that day. That's why we are out there. If we weren't, we would be at home. As for the loved one's at home?? My parents know how much it means to me to be out there and how much fun I have. They know that I might not be back yet they also know it's what I love.

I'm not out there to cause slides, I'm out there to push my limits and see what I can do. Each time out there is a new learning experience and it frustrates me so much that some people will never understand why we love the sport that we love so much. Sledders are the most dedicated person to their sport out there. The nicest people you will ever meet and are always up to lending a stranger a hand. People should really know what it is like up there before they start talking smack about us!!

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a bunch of no mind spinelss basterds ..but you what ..them same fawks can sit in their little living room and send 500 bucks to the Sierra club and shut us down ...more and more we are starting to look like fools .........take a shovel build some ramps and hit em all day ....hill climbing is going to kill more than we can dare say ..especially this year

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me give you something else to mull over. Starting a new thread to think about. Will call it think this over in this section.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everone there is entitled to thier own oppinion and thats fine. good or bad i read many of them.

but what i found the most annoying is the many people that turned it into thier own personal forum and started bitching at eachother, completly ignoreing the topic at hand.

regardless of the reasons one has for being PRO or CON to sledding in the backcountry it sure is hard to take the opinions with any scence of seriousness when it all seem to come from bickering kids or adults acting as such

the "HE SAID SHE SAID" is patheticly rampent on the site

rmktony

Reaction score
Wow. Some people really need to give their heads a shake. "ETTime to ban snowmobiles. Why do people NEED to snowmobile anyway, epecially with automatic and semi-automtic snowmobiles." You think this guys ever seen a sled before?? Maybe some people should just mind their own business. If they dont like sleds or quads they can sit on their couch and watch the tube, nobodys making them ride one.

Top Bottom