MCX 270 Turbo Fuel

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, considering converting my 240mcx turbo on my Nytro to the 270 kit, I am getting conflicting stories on what I can run for Boost and what fuel I should run. The majorty of my riding is in Valemount blue river. any help would be greatly appricieted. Some guys say to just run Av gas, some say VP 110 others say straight Premium, I'm lost and just don't want to make a expensive mistake

Thanks

tapex

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, considering converting my 240mcx turbo on my Nytro to the 270 kit, I am getting conflicting stories on what I can run for Boost and what fuel I should run. The majorty of my riding is in Valemount blue river. any help would be greatly appricieted. Some guys say to just run Av gas, some say VP 110 others say straight Premium, I'm lost and just don't want to make a expensive mistake

Thanks

With fuel pump upgrade and re-map you can run 17lbs with straight av gas. There is no real benefit to running straight race fuel, the only thing I have seen is more exhaust bellows cracking and collector pipes cracking which I suspect is due to excessive heat from race fuel. I have heard that you can get away with premium at elevation, but have never been willing to take the risk so could not tell you for sure. (not a whole lot of difference in price from premium to av, just the inconvenience of having to pack a barrel with you for the weekend:(). I have heard all kinds of bad things in the past about av gas, but I have never had a problem with it and I have been using it for quite a few years now.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Oh ye of little faith, lol :d....................trust me ;)

APEX320

Reaction score
I am running the 270 kit and I run 50/50 VP and Premium, You could get away with running premium if you could guarantee the octane level in the premium you buy but you just cant. Mix 50/50 to be safe at those elevations.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ye of little faith, lol :d....................trust me ;)

No I have a ton of faith in you guys, You have not led me astray yet, I just want to research all aspects of this, because I love the no fuss of my 240 kit and the trouble free year I had with it, just want to try and have as good of a year this year :d:beer:

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost me 2 drums of race fuel and 4 trips to Valemount to figure out that you only need shell gold to run at 6000'. i started out with bad advise from a dealer. that new nothing. at sea level maybe, not in the alpine.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh, and i am running 17-18# MCX Apex

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
The MCX 270 kit is totally designed to run on pump premium. That is all I run on .......I now have over 10,000k on that sled. At elevation it will creep to 18 and sometimes 19lbs depending on air density. :)
The MCX crew was here last month and felt our premium fuel is similar to their premium fuel.....they said......just pump fuel and ride!!:d
RS

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The MCX 270 kit is totally designed to run on pump premium. That is all I run on .......I now have over 10,000k on that sled. At elevation it will creep to 18 and sometimes 19lbs depending on air density. :)
The MCX crew was here last month and felt our premium fuel is similar to their premium fuel.....they said......just pump fuel and ride!!:d
RS

Both me and renne st onge run 270 kits premium with a gallon or 2 of race. these kits are designed to run on premium to 17 lbs boost

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran into a guy last year that had been running 17lbs on pump around central Alberta.......had a few problems. Av is cheap insurance for me. I ride at 2-3000' as well as in the mountains.

I Dare Ya Rene!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eaglevalleymarine.com
Love the 270 MCX, I put 6000 km on last season and only put 4 litres of C12 in each tank of premium. This year I am running a larger Trail Tank( Poachin gas from buddies is gettin harder!) I will run 2 gallons of C12 per trail tank just for peace of mind. Saw 17 and 18 pounds throughout season, no problems!

DooTraxx

Reaction score
RS
Hey Randy what do you use for fuel when you are in the states. I know a lot of there fuel has ethanol in it and is of suspect quality. I am just finishing my MCX 270 kit build, and plan on using the Shell 91 when in Revy. They move a lot of fuel and I feel this will be quite safe. What about when riding other small places or in the US where fuel may not be as good?

reg28

Reaction score
Doo Traxx, you might as well go and use the 94 @ Chevron when in Revy

DooTraxx

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that Chevron 94 is as good as advertised. Never had a problem with the Shell 91.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Hey Randy what do you use for fuel when you are in the states. I know a lot of there fuel has ethanol in it and is of suspect quality. I am just finishing my MCX 270 kit build, and plan on using the Shell 91 when in Revy. They move a lot of fuel and I feel this will be quite safe. What about when riding other small places or in the US where fuel may not be as good?

The only place I get US fuel is in Cooke City @ the Exxon.......it seems fine.
When in Revy I run Shell 91 all the time.

Summitboy

Reaction score
This is a pretty contentious issue lately. The MCX kits are designed and tested and mapped for sea level running pump premium. All the MCX kits 180-290 kits will run perfectly on pump premium. If you run the auto compensator TCV then as you increase your altitude it will add boost to compensate for the thinner air. We all know this but some are skeptical of the high numbers at altitude. If you work in absolute pressure you will see MCX formula and be able to see how it correlates to pressure at alt.

You can manage the risk of getting aka bad fuel by running 50/50 or various blends or types such as AVGAS. Also some dealers i have noticed don't understand the basic fundamentals of boost and fuel giving their customers bad information which leads them to believe they are not safe on pump. MCX are no dummies when it comes to the design of the kit.

Having said this what is your definition of bad fuel ? Is it getting a batch of regular or possibly some ancient watered down premium ? Mixing a couple of gallons of C112 with 87 regular (in 10 gal)will most likely keep you safe as it does bring the octane up to 91ish. If you get the old ancient premium (rotten fuel) you better pray you have way more than 2 gallons of race to save your bacon, because it will burn down.

If you buy your fuel from a suspect place then yes adding race will make you feel better and possibly save you, maybe depending on your blend. Ensuring you buy your fuel from somewhere like Shell in Revy will never give you bad fuel in my opinion, ive been doing it for 3 years with zero problems. I have even run purple premium on numerous occasions and still have my original motor. Now you want to run more than say 14 psi (say 18psi) at sea level on a Apex 290 kit you better make sure your running something stronger than pump premium. At 7000 ft 17psi will do just fine on Shell 91.

LOL. It all comes down to trust and risk management ! If Climbmax is doing it on a 270 Nytro then everyone can do it LOL !

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still throw in a few gallons of AV just for insurance. It is only 1.40L here and easy to get. I am confident it will run on prem, but still nervous. Those motors are way to much money.

GL

evil1

Reaction score
No I have a ton of faith in you guys, You have not led me astray yet, I just want to research all aspects of this, because I love the no fuss of my 240 kit and the trouble free year I had with it, just want to try and have as good of a year this year :d:beer:

Heh tfitz,,i just installed the 240 kit on mine what boost did u run?? mine is just hitting 15 lbs..Did you just run premium om yours. I was told to run 25% at lower elevation,,i mostly ride valemont and revy too

evil1

Reaction score
oh just read your post summitboy thanks,,u to climbmax...Just a thought thoough,,how hard would it to have ones own fuel tester,,it's just a hydrometer testing specific grav..if a guy really wanted to know??

Top Bottom