Turbo nytro fuel and boost questions

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be picking up a 08 turbo nytro that was built 3 years ago at cr racing, here's a list of what is done

APR head studs, headshim, low compression pistons, boost it fuel system water to air inter cooler, boost gauge turbo smart boost controlled, mountain mod seat,2871 garret rear mount turbo, 174" racers edge skid ,camo track, 174" Cr tunnel, bars, risers, oil roll over, custom oil tank , exit shocks , Elka rear shock ,mountain jerrycans, ridged light, powder pro skis

the guy says he runs at 18 psi on straight av gas, and it's 310 hp
does this sound about right?

Now what I wanna know is what fuel and boost should I run on flatland down around Edmonton, and what's safe to run in mountains , I have no problem running av gas or doing a 50/50 mix
just looking for a few pointers or reccomendations

Attachments

• IMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5467.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 280

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be picking up a 08 turbo nytro that was built 3 years ago at cr racing, here's a list of what is done

APR head studs, headshim, low compression pistons, boost it fuel system water to air inter cooler, boost gauge turbo smart boost controlled, mountain mod seat,2871 garret rear mount turbo, 174" racers edge skid ,camo track, 174" Cr tunnel, bars, risers, oil roll over, custom oil tank , exit shocks , Elka rear shock ,mountain jerrycans, ridged light, powder pro skis

the guy says he runs at 18 psi on straight av gas, and it's 310 hp
does this sound about right?

Now what I wanna know is what fuel and boost should I run on flatland down around Edmonton, and what's safe to run in mountains , I have no problem running av gas or doing a 50/50 mix
just looking for a few pointers or reccomendations

It sounds correct the 2871 will produce about 9hp/1lb boost. Its a large big chute turbo and guys who like slaying them big chutes favored them because of that.
The draw back is they spooled up slower and for boondocking type riding they made the sled feel not as responsive.
Thus why guys that complain that they tried a turbo and it felt sluggish, most likely the sled was setup wrong for the type of riding being done.

I use a 2860, which is a little smaller and produces only 7hp/1lb of boost, so my overall out put is much lower. 260hp at 18lbs, so it won't slay a chute that yours would. But my advantage is its a great all around ride, much quicker spooling and very little lag.

There is a 2863 that will spool as quick as the 2860 and flow more air....that would be my choice if i was doing this build again.

BTW, i probably know this sled as i spend a fair bit of time at CR.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention about your fuel question. You can run what ever you want as your turbo will make its own atmosphere at high or low elevation, it doesnt care.
All you need to remember is, if you choose to run pump gas like 91. Turn the boost down, the lowest it will go is likely 8-10lbs. You cannot stop the boost, there is always boost. You can safely run 12-14lbs on 91. After that it best to mix.
BTW i have ran 16lbs on 91 but limited short pulls and not long chute pulls. Hope that helps.

Also the sled will have an O2 sensor with guage, unless it got removed. No build's would come out of CR with out one. You can monitor the motor this way. 13-14.7 is idea. Anything lower is rich anything higher is lean.

Last edited:

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's got a boost guage but nothing else. It's got the boost it fuel system which is Suppossed to help with bottom end. I checked it out tonight I haven't got it yet but the guy wrecked the a arms last season and be put stock ones on. They are all loose and the shocks run against them. But if you move ales you can pull them centered he's saying just needs bushings?

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if shocks are rubbing on a arms, the sub frame is bent. does that engine really have a head shim & low compression pistons? that thing is going to be a dog on the bottom end.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said when you pick it up they centre in the a arms. And that's just what he said. Doesn't have paperwork for it as it was his brothers supposedly

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said when you pick it up they centre in the a arms. And that's just what he said. Doesn't have paperwork for it as it was his brothers supposedly

The A-arm bushings on the Nytro's were a weak spot and wore quickly. I have replaced mine once a season but now run CR A-arms.
Also the subframe were known to tweak and crack. Mine is tweak and has been for about 3 years now, it has not effected the sled for driving but they can get really bad. Something to check. Check for spindle camber, its a dead give away about the subframe condition.
But if the price is right????

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price would be trading my 13 xm 154 that has never skipped a beat on me! Front end makes me hesitant and the fact you said that's a big chute turbo. And that would not be my use of the sled

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price would be trading my 13 xm 154 that has never skipped a beat on me! Front end makes me hesitant and the fact you said that's a big chute turbo. And that would not be my use of the sled

If your looking for a sled that will work similar to your XM, that's not the one. I would keep looking there are some setup that will be great all around sleds. Generally lower HP. 240 setup and even some 270 setup are great all around sleds.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What kinda things should I look for on a nytro if I want something that's a great all around sled?

IMO if you have not intention of pulling chutes with the sled and like the tight tree riding a Nytro is not for you. I know a few people now that have traded their turbo Yamaha's for stock Pro RMK's or XM's. I think you are taking a huge step backwards trading an XM for a Nytro, the chassis aren't even in the same league. A low boost turbo on your XM would be a whole lot more fun.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda things should I look for on a nytro if I want something that's a great all around sled?

That's a personal decision, what will work for me or any other guys on here doesn't mean it will for you.
But here are some things to keep in mind when shopping around for a turbo'ed Nytro. One they are not all the same because they have a turbo, meaning performance and ease of handling. Some are better suited for chute or hill climbing while other's can work extremely well in technical terrain.

Large turbo will give you more power but generally will have slightly longer spool up time in comparison to smaller turbo's.
Rear mount turbo's also will spool up slower then a front mounted turbo. But rear mount don't have heat issues to contend with. Front mount need's alot of venting or else everything can melt or sled catch on fire.
The closer the turbo is to the combustion chamber and the straighter the exhaust exiting the turbo, the quicker the turbo will react.

There are many different kits out there but they all have similar basis. Stage 1 setup, will get you approx. 55-60hp for about 180-190hp. Boost pressure cannot be adjusted and is set at about 8-10psi, its a great boondocking setup and a huge improvement over no turbo. BUT, IMO this kit is hardly worth it as a well setup 800 will give it a good run because of the weight advantage.

Stage 2 setup, will get you approx. 105hp for about 240hp. This kit depending who supplied it can be turned into a 270hp by simply dialing boost pressure but reliability of the engine becomes an issue without modification's. I use a stage 2 front mount, and can dial down to approx. 10psi for about 205hp or dial up to 18psi for about 260hp.

Stage 3 setup, is basically a stage 2 with a larger turbo and engine mods to handle the high boost. Its a 270+hp and well over 300hp depending on modifications done. Its the chute slaying setup, what you would see on hill climbers. They can be a pita in technical because of lag and spool up but some guy's have manage to set them up pretty good. Where they really shine is pulling monster chutes.

Thats just talking about turbo's, the rest of the sled all play's a huge factor depending on what your looking for in the sled. Track length, ski stance, weight distribution mods just to say a few.
What's wrong with your XM that your interested in a Nytro?
Not to discourage you from pursuing what you'ed like but the Nytro's are a beast of their own and require a fair amount of seat time to adjust too. 4stroke power is much more linear and more endless, very different then 2stroke.

Last edited:

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I love my xm, but I've always wanted a boosted sled, and I cannot afford the cost of a well built turbo setup for a 2 stroke so that's why I'm looking to trade, always liked the nytros, and I figure if I don't like it I can trade it next season or sell it and get back on a xm, I'm looking at another nytro 174 all done up, front end is done, cr everything basically. With a powderlites stage 3 this sled appears to be pretty dam mint. Waiting to hear from the guy! I do like climbing and pulling lines through the trees but I don't by any means only ride trees. Just really wanna try a boosted 4 Stroke for a season

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I love my xm, but I've always wanted a boosted sled, and I cannot afford the cost of a well built turbo setup for a 2 stroke so that's why I'm looking to trade, always liked the nytros, and I figure if I don't like it I can trade it next season or sell it and get back on a xm, I'm looking at another nytro 174 all done up, front end is done, cr everything basically. With a powderlites stage 3 this sled appears to be pretty dam mint. Waiting to hear from the guy! I do like climbing and pulling lines through the trees but I don't by any means only ride trees. Just really wanna try a boosted 4 Stroke for a season

OK....i highly recommend going to this sight, S&M is very bias and have a hate on for Yamaha's and Nytro's, there is a large percentage of girls on here and i'm amazed they haven't derailed this thread yet. But it's will get derailed, its a matter of time. You will get the best info there, lots of great peeps to help you out and advise you.
TY4stroke: Snowmobile Forum | Yamaha - 4 Stroke

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW, a 174 track will make your Nytro climb well but the handling suffer's alot. IMO the 162 is a better all around track and more fun. I up mine from a 162 to a 174 and in 90% of the time prefer'ed the 162, the sled was far more maneuverable and easier to throw around. But the 174 carries weight alot better.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar sled for years the 310 number sounds high but engine mods can do a lot as mentioned. Mine was dyno'd at 285 at 18psi with what I believe was same turbo. I loved my 4 stroke and thats why I purchased a new sidewinder just too much fun all round. I can't say I rode it much around home but as advised straight av gas at elevation and 18psi is legit but around home on the flat lands even with low comp pistons I would keep it under 12psi on pump gas.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll guys just picked up a 08 nytro full cr build with 174 3" track and a powderlites stage 3 kit! Super happy and super pumped now just need some dam snow! I'll get pics up soon!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll guys just picked up a 08 nytro full cr build with 174 3" track and a powderlites stage 3 kit! Super happy and super pumped now just need some dam snow! I'll get pics up soon!

Congrat on your new purchase, i think your in for a surprise in comparison to your XM. Power and weight will be a challenge and a very steep learning curve that most are not willing to try. Even some never did get comfortable with.
Either way have fun, that is the whole idea. The more you ride it the easier it will get, especially if you have size and athleticism.
BTW, welcome to the DARK SIDE of sledding.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm in for a surprise aswell but can't wait! And if by size you mean 5'6 165 then perfect haha, but defiantly have the athleticism!! Snow snow snow. I'll try and get some pics for you guys soon been busy

Top Bottom