Mcbride "off season" economy

jaws

Reaction score
I have always been curious about the summer months of the small towns we are privileged to enjoy all winter , Mcbride in particular. I was only lucky enough to be able to spend a couple days in Mcbride this winter and I was surprised by the amount of businesses closed and houses for sale. Can someone that has more insight into the summer economics of these winter paradises please chime in and educate me on what keeps these towns afloat in what I will call "our off season". I am also from a small town and understand the challenges smaller rural centers deal with but it is concerning to see from the outside looking what seems like a town in a tail spin. I hope I am wrong and mean no disrespect to the town or its residents.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always been curious about the summer months of the small towns we are privileged to enjoy all winter , Mcbride in particular. I was only lucky enough to be able to spend a couple days in Mcbride this winter and I was surprised by the amount of businesses closed and houses for sale. Can someone that has more insight into the summer economics of these winter paradises please chime in and educate me on what keeps these towns afloat in what I will call "our off season". I am also from a small town and understand the challenges smaller rural centers deal with but it is concerning to see from the outside looking what seems like a town in a tail spin. I hope I am wrong and mean no disrespect to the town or its residents.

McBride is a logging town, but since their main mill closed there is only 1 small milling operation. Most of the work is loggers who ship wood to the Prince George area. Always been a small town but not much work for the younger people so most leave as soon as they can.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup logging but not nearly as much forestry as there once was. As Tom said most of the wood goes into the PG market now to either Carrier or Dunkley. The mill I work for actually bought the lathe out the of the old McBride Veneer mill and refurbished it for our plant in Canoe. There is also agriculture to some degree. Most of the people I have met from McBride move away for work or work out of town.

Top Bottom