Maybe buying a new half ton - questions

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on current prices. Is the employee pricing thing a good opportunity or a gimmick? Not in a huge hurry to buy but seems like about 10k off f 150s right now.

And I know this may turn into a pissing matching....but any feedback on who has the better half tons or are they all fairly equal right now? Leaning towards a f 150 super crew 4x4 XLT with probably the 5.0 in it, but not set on anything. Just looking for something reasonably priced that gets decent mileage.

Would rather buy a used one but seems like the prices right now are pretty high. Pretty hard to justify a 2010-2012 with 60-100k for 21-25 when you can get a new one for 37 or so.

Any feedback is appreciated.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford prices are good but with the interest rate it's more than 0% at gmc. Momma is a Ford girl. I got a new gmc z71 for the wife and it was 120 per month cheaper Even though the truck was more money. Dodge is even cheaper but I already own a ram 1500 which is in the dealer every six week for sure. Grant miller motors in Vegreville was the cheapest gmc dealer by far. Due to the dollar our used trucks are over priced. My friends a wholesaler and is raking in big dollars selling trucks south. That has trashed used prices. Grind them hard and buy at the end of the month. They won't let a (buyer) walk away on the end of the month. Dealerships need high performance numbers as well as money. The 1st of month is the worst time to grind them

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2014 F150 Xlt EB in Jan. Really like the truck, mileage is better than my 24v Cummins was, rides smooth as silk and has great power. Towing mileage sucks. Interior is very comfortable and has a metric chit ton of room. Got the crew 6.5' box only downside is can't legally put two sleds on a deck. Managed to find the xlt with leather and console and backup cam so it's nicely equipped for 10k less than an fx4.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rams have over a 10K discount and 0% finance over 72 months. pretty tuff to borrow money for free.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm tossing around the idea as well. Incentives seem pretty good and it looks they are looking to move units out. I was on that unhaggle site yesterday and after I filled out my info within 5 minutes the local GM dealer had called me. I'm heading in this afternoon to see what they've got.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the offers I have looked at you can purchase for 4-5000 cheaper if not taking the 0%?
So not really 0% IMO

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 15 silverado ltz 1500. 13.5l/100 avg doesnt impress me much when my lifted 06 3500 cummins gets the same or better mileage. 52k otd w ext warranty and a few add ons

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on current prices. Is the employee pricing thing a good opportunity or a gimmick? Not in a huge hurry to buy but seems like about 10k off f 150s right now.

And I know this may turn into a pissing matching....but any feedback on who has the better half tons or are they all fairly equal right now? Leaning towards a f 150 super crew 4x4 XLT with probably the 5.0 in it, but not set on anything. Just looking for something reasonably priced that gets decent mileage.

Would rather buy a used one but seems like the prices right now are pretty high. Pretty hard to justify a 2010-2012 with 60-100k for 21-25 when you can get a new one for 37 or so.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Test drive them all and i guarantee you will know which one you want. Price, well if your serious any of the dealers will match the other one as they are all so closely priced. Go top top end for the price diff, its worth it. Good luck.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the offers I have looked at you can purchase for 4-5000 cheaper if not taking the 0%?
So not really 0% IMO

True....do the math. Depending on how much equity in you trade or money you are putting down that 4-5,000 to get you 0% is most likely still a savings vs regular rates at your bank or elsewhere. Sometimes it pays to take the cash bonus and finance elsewhere. There is no right or wrong......do the math and take the best route based on your situation.

ie: if you finance $40,000 over 60 months at 5%....cost of borrowing is just about $5300....so then to pay 4 or 5000 for 0% is worth it in this case

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True....do the math. Depending on how much equity in you trade or money you are putting down that 4-5,000 to get you 0% is most likely still a savings vs regular rates at your bank or elsewhere. Sometimes it pays to take the cash bonus and finance elsewhere. There is no right or wrong......do the math and take the best route based on your situation.

True , but my point is that it's costing purchaser extra for finance so it's not 0%
Tricks peeps into thinking its 0% though.
Only true 0% that I have seen is John Deere.
No rebate or any cheaper to pay cash.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True , but my point is that it's costing purchaser extra for finance so it's not 0%
Tricks peeps into thinking its 0% though.
Only true 0% that I have seen is John Deere.
No rebate or any cheaper to pay cash.

even John Deere has many programs where its either a retail bonus or low rate.....same same

ie...new balers have 0% for 48 months or 8% retail bonus.....there is no way to say which is better because it depends on the amount financed

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a 2015 F150.Mines an XLT 6.6" box 5.0 3.73 all trailering options.By far the best half ton I half ever owned.My last 2 trucks were a 15 silverado 1lt and an 11 Duramax.
Rides is incredable,5.0 pulls strong with decent fuel mileage,very comfortable interior.Mine is the sport package.They are about 10k off with employee pricing,which is not bad as they are selling very well.
2q84uns.jpg

2r2rnyg.jpg

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to wait for the new 2015 but bought a 14 last fx4 crew and the employee discount was considerably better than the 15s are. I have talked to a few people with 15s and they love them plus the 5.0 got a hp boost.

Quattroman

Reaction score
Yep, we picked up a '15 F150 Platinum for the wife a few months ago. With every bell and whistle it was a steal. But yea, with nearly $14k off the sticker price they wouldnt budge much on the intrest rate. Still, its by far the best half ton weve ever had. 3.5EB with 3.55 gears. pulls like a bull (If you dont compare it to my F350) and she gets an easy 12L/100km commuting to work. IMG_5634.jpg

gasman

Reaction score
I agree to take them all for a test drive and make sure you are comparing as close to the same option trucks as you can. A friend on my ball team picked up a 15 slt eco diesel from go auto. he said he got 4 different quotes then went and they beat them all by 2k, plus lifetime engine and powertrain warranty as long as its serviced at any go auto dealer. sounded decent to me but I think they only have dodge, ford and Nissan, not sure about gm or Toyotas

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just got my new Company unit last week.

2015 GMC Sierra Crew short box SLE Z-71 Kodiak Edition.... I wanted a Tacoma and was very meh on the full size chevy. But I gotta say that unit is the nicest truck I have ever driven.

Built in Remote start, Rancho suspension, full tow package with built in trailer brake, every single bell and whistle. 5.3L 8/4cyl lie-o-meter tells me 11.4L/100Km highway.

sticker price on this unit was $53K +++ but with dealer incentives it was had for $40K

Poo time

Reaction score
Be sure to try which brands you like. I bought a 2015 GMC 1500 2 weeks ago. Went a 9 hour trip and averaged 23.3 miles to the gallon. Mind you mine has a lift with big tires that the dealer installed. The ride is unbelievably smooth. I paid 41,000 with 0 finance. When I read the fine print cost of borrowing was around 5100 (that was before I signed the papers)figuring so much for 0percent but did close the gap a bit by getting them down 3500 and lift, tires and rims thrown on it.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went and had a look and the cheapskate in me just cant do it. Think Im going to just keep my eye out for a used one. If you see any good deals on used half tons send them my way. Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom