Hyundai Santa Fe

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad was a research and Consumers Reports guy....not brand loyal. They had an Elantra, then a Santa Fe (06?) with zero issues. My mom ran the original SF to over 200k km and traded it in on another newer model....another used one (2012?) with 60k km on it. She does NOTHING but oil changes and tire swaps (summers/winters) and it's over 140k on it now....zero issues. The good son cleaned, detailed and waxed it last fall when she left it here to go on a trip....seems like a good car to me.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in, my wife loves her '13 Santa Fe XL limited. I was unsure about the extra $$$ for the third row, but we've used it a bunch. Captains seats in the back are really nice. As someone else mentioned, the extra with the lmited are really nice.
We've had 2 issues with ours, the back up camera quit, and one back door actuator isn't working.
Other than that, its a pretty nice ride.

minnow10

Reaction score
We have a one also, fully loaded , heated and cooled seats, leather, heated steering wheel, sunroof, 2.0 turbo, very loaded at a reasonable price, we have had no issues at 75000km, at the time way better priced than a ford edge and a GM with way more options, really nice SUV for the value

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has a 2004 [bought new] with a 167000 on it, has had very little issues with it...seizing rear calipers lately.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a vehicle for the wife this week ended with a carryover Buick for 20% off. Didn’t look much at the Sante Fe as it had too little of storage for what we wanted. I like Hyundai, my next commuter will likely be one.
I only know 1 person with a newer Sante Fe and unfortunately it’s been an absolute melon for her. Good news is dealership/warranty has been great and always gets a demo to use.
How’s the resale on them?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Resale is the same as any....nothing. Paid $35ish for my 15 sport and I’m seeing the going rate now is $22ish with 90km. So about $15k in 4 yrs. they slide down to about 5gs and just like a sleds they hit a point and stay.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Resale is the same as any....nothing. Paid $35ish for my 15 sport and I’m seeing the going rate now is $22ish with 90km. So about $15k in 4 yrs. they slide down to about 5gs and just like a sleds they hit a point and stay.

Better than my wife’s 14 Ford Escape same km’s bought at $30k sold $14k. Same goes for Ford Explorers they don’t hold their value great what I can see, good prices on barely used ones.

Those years there was significant change in USD/CAD so don’’t expect the same going forward.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife's granparents have a 2016 Santa Fe Limited with the 2.0 turbo. I really like more than I expected, It's been flawless for them but only 40k km.

We were test driving SUV's a few weeks ago and the Explorer was overpriced trash, $50k for an option-less XLT trim and jaw dropping for a Limited. The Escape is so tiny you may as well buy a Focus and they depreciate so hard you'll save some coin as well. The 4Runner had terrible rear seat room IMO but was nice. I was very pleasantly surprised by the Highlander, it will likely be my wife's next vehicle unless her grandma gives up her license and I'm snagging up that Santa Fe lol.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife's granparents have a 2016 Santa Fe Limited with the 2.0 turbo. I really like more than I expected, It's been flawless for them but only 40k km.

We were test driving SUV's a few weeks ago and the Explorer was overpriced trash, $50k for an option-less XLT trim and jaw dropping for a Limited. The Escape is so tiny you may as well buy a Focus and they depreciate so hard you'll save some coin as well. The 4Runner had terrible rear seat room IMO but was nice. I was very pleasantly surprised by the Highlander, it will likely be my wife's next vehicle unless her grandma gives up her license and I'm snagging up that Santa Fe lol.

I agree on the Explorer but if you look at used you could get a limited with 2 yrs of driving in it for $35k.
Highlander is nice one, small storage didn’’t find a huge improvement from the Escape and their prices are a premium as they sell so good. We liked the Traverse, ended up with a carry over 2018 Enclave for a great price.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the Explorer but if you look at used you could get a limited with 2 yrs of driving in it for $35k.
Highlander is nice one, small storage didn’’t find a huge improvement from the Escape and their prices are a premium as they sell so good. We liked the Traverse, ended up with a carry over 2018 Enclave for a great price.
We usually buy good used and likely will this time too. I felt like a base/mid Highlander at $45k sticker was better optioned than the Explorer at $50k sticker but like you've said used Highlanders are commanding almost new pricing whereas the domestic and Korean brands depreciate and get a lot more competitive used. My wife really likes the VW Atlas too but I have a rule against German vehicles, we're too poor for the off warranty maintenance lol.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The highlander was 10k more for the equivalent option package (limited) vs the Santa Fe xl in 2014 when we purchased it.

I have been looking for adds of equivalent Santa Fe’s lately and think the resale is still pretty high.

I need to find one listed cheep as a reference purchase price to buy ours out from my business.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually buy good used and likely will this time too. I felt like a base/mid Highlander at $45k sticker was better optioned than the Explorer at $50k sticker but like you've said used Highlanders are commanding almost new pricing whereas the domestic and Korean brands depreciate and get a lot more competitive used. My wife really likes the VW Atlas too but I have a rule against German vehicles, we're too poor for the off warranty maintenance lol.

Can’t go wrong with a Toyota. I’ve got two (11 venza 275,000 kms , 09 highlander 235,000 kms ) and had two others. Ran a 1998 Camry to 391,000 kms with no issues. Started burning a bit of oil around 370,000 but ran like a dream.
My highlander is a little older being a 09 but love it. They were identical till 14. Wife says when this ones done she wants another. Problem with that is change the oil put new tires on is all you do to them and they last forever.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
\

I hear you but if you are handy.. which I suspect you maybe I have 385000 on a Jetta 2.5 gas just starting to thing about a replacement strategy, about 200k there was a few little things.. gave her a little love and I would drive across the country today.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to replace the wife’s buggy?
Have had Escalades ,Denali’s ,Jeep Rubicon and all sorts . Lol
Always buy good used but seems really hard right now as people owe way to much and are priced way to high. IMO
After looking at all differently ones these new Santa Fe’s seem like a really nice unit with the turbo charged 2.0.
Bumper to bumper warranty till 100k
Looked up consumer reports and most are really good .
Any one have opinions on them ?
Thanks in advance

Lots of good reviews on the Santa Fe here, but here’s a few from the other end of the spectrum. My dad has had two, and both had engine failures. The first had really bad piston slap when it was cold, but was replaced on warranty before it failed. He traded it for a 16, and it threw a connecting rod at 92,000km, also replaced on warranty in a little over a week. Hyundai has treated him very well through it all and that’s the biggest reason he keeps going back.
My brother on the other hand, had an engine fail in his 16 at 27,000km and waited over 3 months to get it done..

My wife and I have a 17 Toyota Highlander and we are very happy with it. Would absolutely buy another.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you, go look at the Ferrari, looks a lot like the sent a fe

ferrari-suv-render-1-980x551.jpg

2019-santa-fe-xl-se-circuit-silver.jpg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How are you all finding the 4 bangers for engine noise?
The reason I ask, is my wife is selling 14 Jeep Cherokee V6 and looking for another suv. Hers is in for last of extended warranty and she's been given a 19 Compass with the 4 cyl. We both agree that the 6 is considerbly quieter than the 4 and finding this with all suv's
What do you guys think?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you all finding the 4 bangers for engine noise?
The reason I ask, is my wife is selling 14 Jeep Cherokee V6 and looking for another suv. Hers is in for last of extended warranty and she's been given a 19 Compass with the 4 cyl. We both agree that the 6 is considerbly quieter than the 4 and finding this with all suv's
What do you guys think?

Jeeps are terrible for the 4 cylinder engine noise, GF had a 2015 Jeep patriot with a 4 cylinder and her new 2018 Chevrolet Colorado with the 4 cylinder Duramax diesel is quieter.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeeps are terrible for the 4 cylinder engine noise, GF had a 2015 Jeep patriot with a 4 cylinder and her new 2018 Chevrolet Colorado with the 4 cylinder Duramax diesel is quieter.

How is that diesel in the GM/Chev, was curious between the gas?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is that diesel in the GM/Chev, was curious between the gas?

It's pretty reasonable on fuel, we get as good as 8.3L/100km on the highway, and about 11.5 commuting back and forth to work. It's got enough jam, not a race truck by any means but we bought it for cost of operation, it's half of what my F350 costs to run. When we bought we never test drove the gas to compare to, so I'm not exactly sure how they stack up.

The only downside is it has had the turbo and steering box replaced already, and it just rolled over 10,000km today. The steering wheel alignment was never right from factory, and Doug Marshall couldn't get it to line up so GM Engineering told them to replace the steering box. And the turbo started making a god awful whistle/squeal and that was replaced as well. We were out the truck for 3 weeks waiting on the back-ordered turbo to come from the factory. But according to the tech this was only the second turbo they have changed on this motor, the other also being at low miles likely meaning a factory defect.

Overall it's exactly what we wanted, you can even load the 5' box right full of firewood and it still handles like a truck should.

Top Bottom