Mammut Pulse Beacon

ratpak

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this beacon? My sledding group is looking to buy 6 or 7 of them in the next week or two and I'd like some feedback from anyone that owns one. (i.e. Easy to use, accurate, etc.)

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked one up at the show yesterday, i was shown a couple different ones (including the tracker 2 and the Pulse) Those were the 2 i was going to pick from, Ended up going for the pulse for no reason other than it seemed easier to use. I have no experience with beacon's, so this being my first, i guess i'll post up in a couple months and let you know what i really think.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both are easy to use. i have had the pulse for a couple of years, great beacon, very easy to use, i find if very easy to lock out one signal and look for the second, most beacon work very easy to find one burial but i gets harder when you start looking for two. look up some of the review its a good beacon

good luck
giddyup

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this beacon? My sledding group is looking to buy 6 or 7 of them in the next week or two and I'd like some feedback from anyone that owns one. (i.e. Easy to use, accurate, etc.)

if the whole group uses them there great. they have features that are good for only mamuth beacons. if your the only one thats getting one, then there not worth the extra money. they have the heart beat detector, or pulse detector. i run the pieps. but did look at the mammuth.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard the Pulse is easy to use,the nice part is it shows the pulse if buried,but only with other Pulse beacons.A great feature if everyone you ride with has the same one.

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard the Pulse is easy to use,the nice part is it shows the pulse if buried,but only with other Pulse beacons.A great feature if everyone you ride with has the same one.

thats what i heard to. looked at the tracker 2 at the show. wasnt impressed by it at all. the piepsis way easier to use. imo

zeke

Reaction score
Our group all got the pulse. They are very easy to use. Had a couple of older beacons and got fustrated with them. I can honestly say that I could find someone with the pulse.

Bugs

Reaction score
If your group is getting them I would go with the pulse. I have used it for the past few years great becon very easy to use.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pulse at the show, most guys i ride with have them and they are super easy to use. You won't be disappointed.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pulse at the show, most guys i ride with have them and they are super easy to use. You won't be disappointed.

real world experience on this statement. We were in a big avalanche and very paniked when one of us was burried. All of us had different beacons but it was mine that took me straight to him. They others in the group were really struggling to understand what theres said The pulse plain worked fast for me

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had bad luck with warrantee on a Mammut Barryvox....since they are made across the pond, the warrantee wording is very bad. You basically send the unit to the North American distributor...they will look at it and decide if it's warrantee or fixable...I don't know..... The display went dead on mine over the summer (1 season of use). New batteries...it seamed to be functioning, just no LCD display. So I called, then sent it...waited like 6 weeks...no call...they send me a letter saying they can fix it, but it will be 300+ bucks. I phoned and told them to keep the Effin thing, I'd buy a competitor's product. Anyways....I'm sure Mammut makes good stuff, but beware of the warrantee.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I killed it in my AST1 course with mine, I had zero issues finding all the burried beacons very quickly, where other guys were struggling. Every time I went up to Quartz and used the test field the pulse made finding the multiple burrials so easy.
I ended up buying 2, one for me, and one for the wife, who only "snowmoboards" and is "prego" now. I will lend one to a buddy while riding this season so I can take advantage of the "pulse" feature.
I figured the extra $ 100 was worth it over some other beacons....

ratpak

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone; looks like we're buying the Mammut Pulse.

The guys that bought at the show for $450, did that include tax?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$450 + tax, i forget where i picked mine up at.. it was that place from Golden with the $20 shovels. haha.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as it is digital and you know how to use it, that is the main thing.

ratpak

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. I decided to pull the trigger and my entire group bought the pulse this week.

We found an awesome deal online but before buying, I talked to one of the vendors on here to see if they could match or come close to the price and they agreed they would. But when I called back to complete the order, they said they were only making a few hundred dollars on the transaction, so it wasn't worth their time... Whatever!

Why do some vendors here think that just because we can afford a sled we should pay full retail for everything without question? They think we're all a bunch of walking money bags with unlimited resources available for us to accessorize our sleds to no end. They try and make us feel guilty about buying somewhere else for something so trivial as a substantially lower price... and asking for a deal is some kind of taboo. What happened to getting good value for my money? Don't get me wrong, I believe in fair profit for businesses, but if i can find a better deal on a group buy ($70 cheaper), I'm gonna take the better deal.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

Top Bottom