Maclean's magazine trashing sledders of all types...

Thunder101

Reaction score
Here's a great example how the media influences people. The last few weeks there has been a lot of extra publicity in regards to snowmobiling.
My work office has a few sled posters and most of my co-workers know I love winter.. I cannot count how many people have approached me this week, and asked why I particiapte in such a dangerous sport. Why I take such high risks for a little bit of fun. Top it off with ruining the environment, running over small trees, etc.
This coming from people that have never sat on a sled, they think we're all a bunch of crazy speed freaks. I was sort of shocked to hear their comments and their general idea of what we do in the back country. They just don't know any better. The little info they do know, is all biased from reading these type of articles, adds, newspapers, magazines. Media wins all the time to plant a seed into the general public. Rarely do you read an article about the good stuff.
I'm just a normal guy, have a family, and I want to make it home safely just like everyone else. To me, it's way more dangerous driving to work every morning compared to riding my sled.
If a person has never been in our shoes, they will never know what it's really like. Sad part is, most will keep reading these articles and make their own conclusion and we'll be the bad guys.

This is what worries me and gets me pissed ! People are becoming Sheepeople ! they just suck up what ever they see,hear etc. No opinion of there own just what TV of FB tells them. No real experience just empty opinions. FOOLS.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i didn't take a year off to recoupe my knees, i'd take ezra levant on a sled trip to mcbride and let him experience the "experience" of sledding in the mountains, if even just for a day trip ... Then, see what kind of report he comes up with... I bet it would be sensational ;) ........... Anyone game?

Hell ya, I will supply a sled for him.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
Maclean's would do well to go back and read the reference in JT's book about the death of his brother, or read his eulogy. The draw to the backcountry is the same for all of us. The risks of drowning while canoeing, getting mauled by a bear, or getting caught in an avalanche are the price we pay for the adventure. The criticisms will continue to come from uninformed and judgemental people who may drive a small (dangerous), fuel efficient car, or who live in a wood-framed house that uses a fire in the basement for heat. We cannot eliminate all the risks that living presents. All we are able to do is evaluate what the risks are, take reasonable steps to reduce them, and get on with living. And like most of you, I never feel more alive than when I get lucky enough to enjoy a bluebird day from the top of a peak and see 100 miles in any direction.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I took the time and sent him the following letter. Will see if he responds (I will keep everyone posted if he does)

February 5, 2016
Re : Maclean’s article on snowmobiling

Dear Mr. Sorensen,

Hi my name is Dennis ______ and I am from Armstrong, BC. I tried to contact you by email but could not locate your email address so I am faxing you instead. I read your recent article about the dangers of snowmobiling and your opinion regarding the consequences of this sport.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with your opinion towards this sport, which is participated by thousands of Canadians coast to coast to coast. When I read your commentary I got the feeling that you were trying to portray a negative image towards snowmobilers. I can assure you that is far from the truth. I have met many great people of all walks of life enjoying this sport. Myself included, we are business people, trades people, doctors, lawyers, and any other imaginable occupation you can think of keeping our good country functioning. We are also fathers, mothers, uncles, grandparents and children.

I personally have been sledding since I was young in the 70’s. I have introduced this sport to my wife and children and we take great pride in making it safe, respectful and most importantly fun. Some of the examples of irresponsibility you pointed out account for a very low percentage of snowmobilers out there. Unfortunately, just with any sport or activity you will find an exception to the rule. That is how society is but painting every one with the same brush is unfair and unrealistic to say the least.

Like any sport, there are risks involved and it is up to the participant to minimize their risks as much as possible. This is even more important when we head out to the mountains, as there is little forgiveness for being unprepared. I know for a fact I could bore you with negative statistics on every outdoor activity from kayaking to golfing but I am sure being an educated person you can research that for your self.

I would like to point out the economic contribution we provide to communities across Canada who depend on snowmobilers to come to their hotels, restaurants, bars, gas stations, super markets during the long and cold winters. Towns like Revelstoke, Sicamous, and McBride, BC would have some tough times in those months. There are many locals in these communities who take the time and volunteer to ensure we have a nice trail system, warm up lodges and a voice to the local and provincial governments.

Lastly, I would like to welcome you to come out to BC and take you out for a ride to see for yourself what we as snowmobilers do as I am confident you will have a different impression after you experience snowmobiling.

Sincerely,

Dennis _______
Email : ____________

I am going to personally take the time and write an email to the author of this article and clear some mis-conceptions of our sport plus maybe add a few more stats as indicated about swimmers, canoes etc etc. I have dealt with the media before and unfortunately once they have formed an opinion it is hard to change their mind especially coming from an individual and not an organization. Which brings me to my next comment, I think that this warrants some type of response from the corporate world who depend on us "individuals" to buy their products. For example, Ski-Doo, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha and all the accessory companies such as clothing etc etc. They have a much larger voice than we do and may get better traction than one of us. Either way, I strongly feel a response from myself is necessary just to get it off my chest.

By the way, some pretty nasty comments going back and forth below the article but I like this guy who was defending his position. Good on him!!!

Wow, way to focus solely on the negative aspects of a sport. Lets look at the fighting, verbal abuse and concussions involved in all types of hockey. We could address the nearly 40,000 people a year that die in car accidents or the hundreds of thousands that are injured in vehicles. Heck nearly 10,000 people per year die from unintentional falls while in public. I think maybe we need some context here, better context. If in the injury and death stats you account for those who were not wearing a helmet and who were drinking and riding which are both completely illegal and not what the average rider would ever consider doing you will get a much different view of the sport. Heck nearly 40,000 Golfers a year are admitted to hospitals for injuries most of which result from head injuries. I think as a whole, considering a snowmobiler is controlling a 500 pound machine with a 100-175hp engine, we all do a pretty good job. Just because the 1% gets all the press doesn’t mean the 99% who do it right are part of a sport needing an overhaul. Wear a helmet, don’t drink and ride and ride within your limits, you do that (and besides the freak accidents that even happen in everything from bird watching to gardening) you’ll be alright. Unquote

notsoprosledder

Reaction score
So, I took the time and sent him the following letter. Will see if he responds (I will keep everyone posted if he does)

February 5, 2016
Re : Maclean’s article on snowmobiling

Dear Mr. Sorensen,

Hi my name is Dennis ______ and I am from Armstrong, BC. I tried to contact you by email but could not locate your email address so I am faxing you instead. I read your recent article about the dangers of snowmobiling and your opinion regarding the consequences of this sport.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with your opinion towards this sport, which is participated by thousands of Canadians coast to coast to coast. When I read your commentary I got the feeling that you were trying to portray a negative image towards snowmobilers. I can assure you that is far from the truth. I have met many great people of all walks of life enjoying this sport. Myself included, we are business people, trades people, doctors, lawyers, and any other imaginable occupation you can think of keeping our good country functioning. We are also fathers, mothers, uncles, grandparents and children.

I personally have been sledding since I was young in the 70’s. I have introduced this sport to my wife and children and we take great pride in making it safe, respectful and most importantly fun. Some of the examples of irresponsibility you pointed out account for a very low percentage of snowmobilers out there. Unfortunately, just with any sport or activity you will find an exception to the rule. That is how society is but painting every one with the same brush is unfair and unrealistic to say the least.

Like any sport, there are risks involved and it is up to the participant to minimize their risks as much as possible. This is even more important when we head out to the mountains, as there is little forgiveness for being unprepared. I know for a fact I could bore you with negative statistics on every outdoor activity from kayaking to golfing but I am sure being an educated person you can research that for your self.

I would like to point out the economic contribution we provide to communities across Canada who depend on snowmobilers to come to their hotels, restaurants, bars, gas stations, super markets during the long and cold winters. Towns like Revelstoke, Sicamous, and McBride, BC would have some tough times in those months. There are many locals in these communities who take the time and volunteer to ensure we have a nice trail system, warm up lodges and a voice to the local and provincial governments.

Lastly, I would like to welcome you to come out to BC and take you out for a ride to see for yourself what we as snowmobilers do as I am confident you will have a different impression after you experience snowmobiling.

Sincerely,

Dennis _______
Email : ____________
If you get a reply back, please post it! I would like to hear his response.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, I got a reply from the Chris Sorrensen on my letter to him. Hope its ok to post it but here it is. I gave him the green light to pass it along to their letters editor. Got to clear the mud somehow.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for reaching out. Your criticism of the story is a fair one—and, as you might have guessed, we've received a number of letters. Like you, many felt the story cast snowmobiling in an overly negative light. Others felt it highlighted an issue that doesn't get talked about as much as it should. That said, I don't dispute the vast majority of snowmobilers are like you and your family: safe, responsible riders. I should have pointed that out more emphatically.

Let me know if you would like me to pass along your letter to our letters editor. It's well-written and makes several good points, though it would need to be edited because of space restrictions.

Regards,
Chris

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is Macleans going to roast the x-country ski crowd for being out of control and reckless; Re: Avalanche north of Lake Louise hits a x-country ski group of eight. Doubt it!!

Top Bottom