M8000 Starting issues and tips?

-unSound

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have a 2016 M8000 with about 200km on it. During my last ride I shut it down for about 20 minutes and when I went to restart it was dead. Checked and it had a strong spark so I doubt it is killswitch or TSS related. It was acting like my 2010 M8 did when it flooded really bad, except in this case the plugs were dry. After pulling it over a bunch we eventually decided to let it sit for an hour and what do you know, it fired right up.

After scanning various forums I have found other people with similar experiences on these sleds. I've made a list of suspected causes and work arounds others have mentioned below.

-Possibly an issue with not getting enough fuel. Apparently with the kill switch off, pull it over about 30 times, turn the switch back on and it should fire up first pull. Alternatively pull the exhaust side paneloff pull the bar tube out and blow into it to pressure it up. It makes the sled think it's at low elevation and adds fuel

-Checkvalves on the fuel pickups in the tank sticking closed, not allowingany fuel in (Doubt that this was my issue)

-Holding throttle wide open and pulling over. (This is mostly helpful for a flooded sled, right? We tried this a few times but no luck)

-When the sled is warm/hot, and you stop for a few minutes, the temp sensor in the airbox heat soaks and programs the mixture for that temp,which leans the sled out too much. Disconnect the temp sensor,apparently it should start right up, then reconnect the plug

-Open the fuel cap to let out the pressure built up from heat. (Not sure the point of this one, but sounds like it works for some people)

Whatdo you guys think of these? I'm curious if anybody here has had similar issues and might have some other tips to help get my sled started up easier if it ever decides to be temperamental again. Lastthing I need is a dead sled miles away from the cabin.

Besides for this quirk I really like the way the sled performs, the 3” track makes it feel like I'm cheating compared to my 2010. Just sucks when my friends on their new Doos get to crack all the jokes

Cheers

Last edited:

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sticky fuel pump? maybe bad stator, break in the windings can reconnect when cooled down.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
Just bring it to your dealer, if you like we're more then willing to fix it same day at Alberta Cycle, that's a warranty issue and I'm sure nothing serious. Have you fired in some new plugs as the break in oil could have fouled one? Maybe the dealer just adde little to much oil hope to God it wasn't us, we have scan tools which point us right direction.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alot of times I have to crack the throttle while pulling my 13 m800.
Was told by some just nature of the beast.
Fires up first pull everytime though with this technic.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
Sled was fixed, throttle cable was pulled on and taken out of it place. Customer had a little roll over or wipe out and accidentally pulled on cable. So if any of you experience this maybe check the cable. The sled will sense a open throttle like when they freeze and go into safe mode.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any issues? I have[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 1200kms on a 16 and have had multiple breakdowns. Tether, sticking throttle, fuel issues, etc. I've been towed, borrowed spare sled and had mine trucked around mountain ranges instead of riding over trails, and last week needed a heli lift out. My first day it died for 10 min, then started and ran fine all day. Can't count how many times that has happened. I'm over this POS. Love the sled when it runs, but way too unreliable when you're that far out in the backcountry. Dealer says it runs fine in the shop and they won't take it out for a rip to figure out the problem. Buddy who is a cat guy, that sold me on them, has had the same issues on multiple cats. Even his 16 does it too. Of course I find this out afterwards. [/FONT]

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any issues? I have[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 1200kms on a 16 and have had multiple breakdowns. Tether, sticking throttle, fuel issues, etc. I've been towed, borrowed spare sled and had mine trucked around mountain ranges instead of riding over trails, and last week needed a heli lift out. My first day it died for 10 min, then started and ran fine all day. Can't count how many times that has happened. I'm over this POS. Love the sled when it runs, but way too unreliable when you're that far out in the backcountry. Dealer says it runs fine in the shop and they won't take it out for a rip to figure out the problem. Buddy who is a cat guy, that sold me on them, has had the same issues on multiple cats. Even his 16 does it too. Of course I find this out afterwards. [/FONT]

Open up your throttle block and cut either the red or black wire(your choice) and retape the cut ends. If you have a cat tether remove It and get an aftermarket one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open up your throttle block and cut either the red or black wire(your choice) and retape the cut ends. If you have a cat tether remove It and get an aftermarket one

what is this doing or eliminating

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throttle safety switch. It seems to cause a few little issues

I thought that might be what the wires were for

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got an rsi throttle, safety switch has been gone since day 2. I'll agree on the cat tether though. Garbage.

Top Bottom