M7 engine failure

kooze21

Reaction score
Has anyone had any engien issues on the m7? i have blown my engine the last three times i have rode it. It works great in the mountains but around home it blows the left piston. i have noticed all 3 times the piston skirt is breaking. like i said, in the mountains no issues. any ideas as to what it might be. the engine light does not come on but i am thinking the computer is not setting my fuel to low altitude.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M7's are pretty bomb proof. Unless you already replaced the cylinders.......next time you rebuild it check the cylinder bore diameter. May be out of tolerance. Broken skirts are usually caused by piston slap due to too much clearance. Never an issue on my M7, but I've seen it on a couple of 1000's. Also, I run EGT's on every sled I own so I can see what's going on in there. Don't have to guess what the computers doing to your fuel. Also, have you been doing crank seals, or just the top end? I pretty much always do crank seals when I do a top end. Learned the hard way!

Last edited:

kooze21

Reaction score
i replaced both cylinders and resealed the whole engine. i just can't see why it only blows at home and not in the mountains when i'm working it hard.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, that eliminates both my ideas! Not over revving it at home are you? They're usually clutched stock for 6000'. Mine will run 8200 rpm at 3000' if I let it. Not good for them to run over 7800rpm.

kooze21

Reaction score
no it holds at 7800 nothing over that. i did put a set of v force reeds in, but even if they were the problem it shouldn't matter what altitude i am running at

kooze21

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, i need to do more digging and figure this out. maybe a fuel pessure issue as well.

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
A fuel issue would not cause the skirt to break. If it were running lean you would be burning holes through the top. Sounds like a tolerance issue.

kooze21

Reaction score
where would the tolerance come from when you have new jugs and new pistons?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What brand of pistons are you using?
Measure for clearance before assembly to be sure parts are correct as well.

m7 carver

Reaction score
You guys are saying a M7 should only rev to 7800? What wieghts are you guys running in yours?

OLE 11

Reaction score
Sounds like the connecting rod bearing to me! If there is any play..up or down...its facked! You should take the bottom end apart when you brake the skirt.... 9 out 10 times there will be chunks of ch!t that fall down into crank!

kooze21

Reaction score
i've had the bottom end apart and redid it, has any one experienced any mixture issues with the altitude. cause i am starting to lean towards the electronics side of things.

Top Bottom