M1100t secondary clutch

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seem to be having an issue with my secondary not engine braking and starting in a higher gear. It makes a snapping noise when the secondary disengages and then a really harsh engagement. I noticed my rollers are about 1/8" from the helix when the clutch is at rest with about 1 1/2" belt deflection. So when you engage the primary the belt drops about 1/2-3/4" into the secondary to be able to move.
I found out what was making the snap on deceleration. When the secondary closes the movable shiv rides down the plastic ramps and then falls off. It's Like the ramp is too short for the travel. The ramp, I think is there to force the movable shiv over to keep the rollers in contact with the helix. As I increase my belt deflection the gaps seem to tighten up. Running the 082 factory belt there is about 0.090" belt to shiv clearance. Which seems high to me. And the belt sits down 1/16" in the secondary. My belt is used about 250 miles.
It seems to me that the factory belt is too narrow. Spec on the belt is supposed to be 1.448" mine is measuring 1.377". I tried a dayco 5020 which is supposed to be 1.442" but it was too wide stalling the motor when applying the brakes. Just waiting for a new 082 from cat (dealer is out) to measure the new width of the belt. I've heard of on another forum that most new belts are 1.41". But it doesnt make sense that the 5020 belt don't fit because the my 082 with the 0.090" clearance is 1.467".
Anyone else exhibiting strange noises and harsh engagements? This is the info I have come up with. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put mds weights in with his recommended polaris black spring. Engine braking is way better. Also engagement is way smoother so the secondary clunks allot less.

Two Creeks

Reaction score
I did MDS weights and Polaris black sring too, and I still have the clunck, but not nearly as much. Does have way better engine braking now.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ordered the polaris spring today. and some other go fast goodies! there is something wrong with my secondary maybe it has something to do that its a copy of the doo clutch! I think the right thing to do is through it in the garbage.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found the issue it was the plastic ramps were toast and the jack shaft nut was loose in the chain case

Top Bottom