M1100 Coolant/ Cooling system issue.....

stangstretch

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was out this weekend for the first time this season on my M1100 turbo and it did something to me that hasnt happened before. When riding it all was fine, no lights, warnings, bells, whistle's or smoke... stop and within a couple of minutes I was having coolant forced out the bottom of the coolant tank not the overflow (lines are all tight just seems like it really presssures up) At first i thought it was from working it getting up a trail but i have never had any issues with this before. When i came down the trail back to the trailer it was 6 deg C, scratchers down, all good. Parked at the trailer and within a couple minutes i could see that it was forcing coolant out again. This time i started the sled up and instantly had hot coolant through my tunnel coolers, put snow on it and it melted it away, as soon as i did this the system stopped forcing coolant out the bottom of the coolant tank again, when i started the sled again i had no hot coolant warnings.....

Not sure if maybe i just have a bit of an airlock in the system as i have had the system opened up a couple of times, or water pump, thermostat, rad cap???

Just trying to get an idea of whats goin on.

Thanks all.

-E

six buck

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen this weekend on my way up to the cabin at clemina. My coolant came out my overflow tube. Im not so sure that the wet sloppy snow was getting onto the exchangers properly or that they may have caved over with wet snow. Once i left the trail into loose dry snow it seemed better. I am going to follow the bleed procedures I found over on sw since my coolant tank was changed by dealer this fall as part of the update. That will eliminate any air locks etc.

stangstretch

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen this weekend on my way up to the cabin at clemina. My coolant came out my overflow tube. Im not so sure that the wet sloppy snow was getting onto the exchangers properly or that they may have caved over with wet snow. Once i left the trail into loose dry snow it seemed better. I am going to follow the bleed procedures I found over on sw since my coolant tank was changed by dealer this fall as part of the update. That will eliminate any air locks etc.

I'm sure it must be an airlock as well, going to bleed mine also again and make sure all the air is gone because nothing else has changed since the last time i rode it last season..... Hill testing againg next week, all i know is my EVO Big Chute 275 kit is AWESOME!!! :party:

six buck

Reaction score
I here ya, Ive got the 240 low elev kit from evo. Did all work including studs myself. I absolutely love it. Im thinking my airlock may have come from removing the coolant line going to throttle body. Needed the extra space for removing valve cover etc. Lost a bit of coolant but didnt think was enough to worry. Gunna bleed system hopefully today. I think that coolant light/studder has plagued me ever since I got it going but that icon is hard to see when your arms are stretched to the max.

charlie99

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was out this weekend for the first time this season on my M1100 turbo and it did something to me that hasnt happened before. When riding it all was fine, no lights, warnings, bells, whistle's or smoke... stop and within a couple of minutes I was having coolant forced out the bottom of the coolant tank not the overflow (lines are all tight just seems like it really presssures up) At first i thought it was from working it getting up a trail but i have never had any issues with this before. When i came down the trail back to the trailer it was 6 deg C, scratchers down, all good. Parked at the trailer and within a couple minutes i could see that it was forcing coolant out again. This time i started the sled up and instantly had hot coolant through my tunnel coolers, put snow on it and it melted it away, as soon as i did this the system stopped forcing coolant out the bottom of the coolant tank again, when i started the sled again i had no hot coolant warnings.....

Not sure if maybe i just have a bit of an airlock in the system as i have had the system opened up a couple of times, or water pump, thermostat, rad cap???

Just trying to get an idea of whats goin on.

Thanks all.

-E

I had these exact same issues also gonna bleed my system again. I got the cat service manual and it says to lift the front of the sled above rear cooler height pull bleed screw on head and fill system until coolant comes out bleed hole, put screw in start nd run up to temp, shut it off let it cool down open rad cap and open bleed screw again repeat 2-3 times.

six buck

Reaction score
I think Im going to heat tape my coolant bottle completely over. When stopped the heat from the pipe has to be migrating into recovery tank possibly causing the tank itself to overheat and puke. When you ride off some of this coolant likely can make its way over to your coolant sensor and throw codes for short periods. Header wrap on pipe would also work well. Gunna look for some of this. I also bled and found air but very little. Havent rode since bleed though, too cold up here.

ldrc4541

Reaction score
So has anybody figured this out? Mine is doing the same thing. Mine is coming from the over flow on the rad. Tried a new rad cap did not help. I have to leave the coolant down about an inch from where it is supposed to be so that it won't come out the overflow. I have not tried bleeding air but will this weekend. Has anybody had a head gasket failure?

stangstretch

Reaction score
Just got back from work, will attack this tomorrow and let you know what i find. I have to believe its just an airlock. before when i took the sled apart and lost coolant and filled back up I never used the bleed screw, this last time i did and now the problems so i will elevate and bleed it again and again and see what happens.

stangstretch

Reaction score
So mine ended up being a cracked tank, which apparently is quite common, my leak appears to be from the seam.

geotirsledder

Reaction score
Website
www.geotir.com
Went out to Reve this weekend- cold -15c. We got 10 km up the trail before anti freeze puked all over. Called around and find out now that it is common for the reservoir to crack after about 1200 km. Damn. I'll find out soon if mine has this issue, but sure looks to be the culprit.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you letting it idle for a minute or so before shutting off? My thought is that coolant boils in the turbo, and it returns immediately to the overflow tank. I went through this last year, and between wrapping the tank with reflective insulation and letting the motor idle for a minute after riding, I'm not seeing any more coolant pushed from the overflow.

geotirsledder

Reaction score
Website
www.geotir.com
Looked like it was coming from the bottom of the reservoir. I'll let you know after it goes to the shop. How do you refill the reservoir anyway? Looks like you have to take ff he whole front plastic. Can't see if there is any fluid or not.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hood has to come off to add or check coolant level. Same with the 800.

geotirsledder

Reaction score
Website
www.geotir.com
Ok, so it was a cracked reservoir. Poor plastic weld on the backside that you cannot see from the exhaust side of the sled. Several have been seen breaking after 800km.

Top Bottom