m1000 sputter/bogging issues

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have an 09 m1000, speedwerx pipe and y with mbrp can, bdx intake, v force reeds, had it out for the first time on the 22nd, first of the day it had a litttle bog at take off and the odd time at 5500rpm, then pulled hard up to 7800, as the day went on i could not hold steady rpm from 4300-6000 it would spit sputter out like it was starving for fuel, as soon as i get to the 6500 range it would clear up and rip again like nothing was wrong, on a wot pull the air fuel was around 11.7-12.6, while down low where it had the sputter the air fuel was all over the place could not get a steady reading, played with the bd numbers and problem seemed to stay the same no change, just wondering on what could be the issue has anyone else ran into this problem or have any ideas what it could be, gonna take the reeds out and go back to stock and try along with a fuel pressure reg.........ideas or help thanks

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
possible crack in airbox or exhaust/can. buddies had similar symptoms last year turned out his can was cracked along with a crack in the airbox in the front.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you have for BD numbers? The M1 is really picky with mapping, especially at part throttle settings and when the power valves open due to a change in ignition timing. How old are the V-force reeds? They don't last long in a laydown twin in my opinion, but if it starts and idles well, i doubt it's the reeds.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bd numbers are from arctic edge motorsprts, can isn't cracked as I checked before touching up rust spots, intake is in good to new condition, was taking a few pulls (3-5) when warm to start. I'll post back once I pull it apart to check the reeds

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bd numbers are from arctic edge motorsprts, can isn't cracked as I checked before touching up rust spots, intake is in good to new condition, was taking a few pulls (3-5) when warm to start. I'll post back once I pull it apart to check the reeds
Also check your power valve cables. They can be frayed inside the sleeve and cause you a inconsistent problem. Seen this alot on cats since power valves started. It can even mimic a down cylinder at times

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
i used to run speed werx pipe!!!!!! Try putting your stock pipe back on it. I had 7 cracks on my pipe as well as the o2 sensor blew off when i was in Valemount last yr I put the stock pipe back on and it ran like a top....

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a speedwerx ypipe and can for two season and had zero issues with it. I very highly doubt it is the pipe causing the issue. Like others said check the power valves.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also ran Speedwerx pipe / Y-pipe without issues. Get #'s from Glen (Spindrift Motorsports). I don't have my 1000 anymore but never had any complaints ran awesome & my #'s started with Glen, just fined tuned mine a little bit.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have glens numbers also, have his map speedwerx map and arctic edge map, seems to run the best with brents numbers, adjusted the power valve cables tonight they were out a bit (31mm and 34mm) changed out the reeds (no broken peddals but peddals seemed to be open at the tip more than the other two sets i had) hope to get it out again to see where its at.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your PV cables, but I think possibly reeds or fuel pressure.

gopher-it!

Reaction score
i would be a little concerned about that mbrp can as they are tight on the outlet. I run the speedwerx pipe d@d y and tunnel dump, brents porting and this thing runs very well .

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brent said not to worry about the can, figured reeds fuel pressure or the TSS, have those issues adjusted now, hope its better when I try it out in the next few days.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates on your scenario? I'm curious.

I'd really like to get my ecu reprogrammed with the 08 mapping but have a hard time finding someone that can do it.
Do you have a different timing key in your sled?

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates on your scenario? I'm curious.

Do you have a different timing key in your sled?

Havent had the chance to get it out since the bog and all the things i have went over on the sled, been talking with brent about it quite a bit, his thinking is that if these issues dont solve the sputter that it might be just super picky on its tune, one thing i never checked was to see if it had a timing key, might have to check tonight now as you have my half dead hampster trying to spin the wheel, will update if i can get it out this weekend, thanks to all for their bits of info.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to get the sled out today and see if the sputter issue was solved. The 5-6000 rpm range now is runnin good. Think I have the sputter fixed. Now to dual in the bd box a little finer, can't say what solved the problem as I changed reeds, had the TSS off, moved my sensor from the bdx intake and placed under the heat shield, added a fuel pressure regulator, adjusted the power valves within spec, fixed all wires on sled which showed signs of damage. Hope this can help someone out in the future, and thank you to all the guys who added their 2 cents.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to get the sled out today and see if the sputter issue was solved. The 5-6000 rpm range now is runnin good. Think I have the sputter fixed. Now to dual in the bd box a little finer, can't say what solved the problem as I changed reeds, had the TSS off, moved my sensor from the bdx intake and placed under the heat shield, added a fuel pressure regulator, adjusted the power valves within spec, fixed all wires on sled which showed signs of damage. Hope this can help someone out in the future, and thank you to all the guys who added their 2 cents.
u better have it fix because my lil m8 is going to smoke that 1 liter lol...good to c u got it fix

1badhusky

Reaction score
Well, I'm now up to 76% more fuel at 3800 rmps 10% throttle and 50-70% more fuel all around that area at other rpms/5-20% throttle and it's still sputtering down low. I can't figure out what the hell is going on. And I think it's too rich now, cuz now it's hesitating a bit when you hammer the throttle, and it didn't do that before, so I'm going to lean it out a bit. This is one crazy engine. but I do love the power. Guess I'll just live w/ the low end sputter.

Top Bottom