M1000 down hopefully not out

teddybear26x

Reaction score
So I did all the mods I could do my self to my sled and took it into my local shop to get the guys to put some Boyesen reeds in and gear it down. They took the Y pipe off and I get a call saying " you better come down to the shop we have to talk" uh oh. pulls out the light and shines it in the cylinders. Clutch side cylinder is scored along the back wall and has a hard black film on the piston. Can't remember the word he used, maybe scorching and it's dry as can be. NO OIL. The stator side has good lubrication and looks clean till he moves the piston down to reveal a hair line crack running the whole viewable side of the piston.
He is pulling the top end off right now, going down friday to have a look. He is telling me at the very least I am going to need 1 new cylinder and a piston kit. His fear is that when he pulls the top end off it's going to reveal the back side of the piston has missing pieces and has gone down into the crank.
He said it's the first time he has seen a M1k fail like that. Our main question is WHY is the one cylinder not getting any oil in it.
I just spent my savings for all the mods I put on this sled. I think we are talking about 2K min up to 4K not sure to get her fixed. Still learning all this stuff as I go along.
I hope it's just top end work otherwise it looks like my season is over and I haven't even fired it up yet. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Has anyone seen anything like this before? What was the cause?
Just so pissed off and frustrated right now it's unreal.
Guess I'm going to have to start selling the muff pot meals like I was thinking to try to help with some of the repairs.
Hope you guys are hungry when you come down to ride fernie this year.:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::crying3:

Last edited:

teddybear26x

Reaction score
2008 think there is about 2200km on it can't remember. Been a while since I looked

teddybear26x

Reaction score
looks like i might be alright. Caught it in time so just a new top end is required. Thank the snow god.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a spare cylinder just sitting on my work bench from my 07 m1000 if you are looking for one still. I also still have the stock head collecting dust.

teddybear26x

Reaction score
I have a spare cylinder just sitting on my work bench from my 07 m1000 if you are looking for one still. I also still have the stock head collecting dust.
thanx for the offer. I got a whole new top end been built already.

Top Bottom