m1000 crank problems

BRADWELL28

Reaction score
was just wondering, has anyone had any common issues with blowing the crank in the m1000's?, blew mine up today 2007 m1, siezed it right solid.

killerrf

Reaction score
ive just heard of a few crank stubs breaking off sending the primary flying around... but not much for cranks themselves.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over 5000 km on mine before she calved. PTO side, Crank end con rod bearing melted. How many km on yours?
Don't bother rebuilding, get a new motor and part the rest of yours out.

Attachments

• P1080444.jpg
    P1080444.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 323
  • P1080405.jpg
    P1080405.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 325

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1500 that's it?
How did you store it over the summer? fuel stabil and fogging?

I got away with being left with one good piston and one good jug. and the water/oil pump.
You could salvage it all when you got time in the summer and sell that engine as rebuilt. As long as the cases seal, and the con rod clears the dirty spot, it could still run. Re-nick the jugs, re-man the crank, mill the head and flog it. Or sell it as a 1200 big bore. I know some guys that can do all the work.
Did you call Michelle at Oregon Trail sports for a quote on a new engine?

oly

Reaction score
Same thing on my 2008 M1000 and a buddies 2007 M1000. I had 2500km on it and my bud 1000km. Looking at the issue with Don's speed and they have seen several of this.. Oil injection misses a squirt for some reason or another.. That was in our scenerio's. Always throw a cup in the gas tank just incase. Woulda saved me $2500 for new engine. I agree with parting out or keeping parts but get a new one. $2500 from Don's speed. Very crappy to hear that yours went :(

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea mine just broke today any info on the repair? Thanks
The repair is a new or rebuilt crankshaft. One thing that isn't looked at much is clutch balancing and crank runout. Most of us will blow a belt at some point, and never realize we have bent the stub end of the crank. All of the interia generated by a 10 pound clutch spinning @ 7000+RPM creates a huge strain on the crankshaft. If it isn't balanced properly, the stress is compounded, and will lead to failure. Big twins are more suceptable to this then the triples we used to run, and the torque numbers you can get from an M1000 are phenominal for an out of the box machine. Hope this helps.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks yea i just bought it this past Nov and looked like it had an old hairline crack in it. The primary is damaged so have replace that too. Where is a good place to find a repair manual? Thanks

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat is the only source for a shop manual that I know of - may find one on ebay... What year is your M1? I may have a complete engine avail with 400 kms on it and a primary with same mileage. PM me if interested.

Relic

Reaction score
Thats old news on the m1000 crank problems very common just look back on snowest or on hear. I was told not to ideal to long as that is what takes them out, cat was giving warranty on some of them.

killerrf

Reaction score
you can get new cranks for the m1 from rec supply in saskatoon. check the website. retail is $750 i believe. im sure they would do better than that.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my pto rod bearing went at 4000 km`s. 650 for a chopper ride, 800 for a rebuilt crank from rec supply and new set of pistons and im back in business. I acquired a bottem end after the fact that is in good shape, message me if u need one.

Top Bottom