losing coolant

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2009 xp 154 doesn't seem to be heating on the trails but will lose coolant overnight while parked in the enclosed I can't seem to figure out where it is coming from. It doesnt appear to be coming from the rad cap. Any ideas?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only leaks when it's cold outside right..... Like -15 or colder??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, stupid spring clamps

Rubber hose, plastic nipple

Don't contract or expand the same

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe as simple as your over filling it it will leak out if you try to keep it at the full mark

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex78

It was -20 when we were riding. Any idea which fittings I should be looking at? Nothing is in a handy place to check.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex78

It was -20 when we were riding. Any idea which fittings I should be looking at? Nothing is in a handy place to check.
Well the most common ones are the ones at the front track cooler, also t Stat housing, any can really leak I guess, and only when cold out.... Never leaks when warm out or engine hot

Now the screw clamps can also leak after u replace the spring clamps , cause the rubber gives and clamp loosen's, then u have to check them once and a while for tightness

Just about ever car, truck ect has the jebus clamps now ( that's what I call them as the plyers slip off lol)

What i have been doing to cars and trucks lately is between the clamp and nipple inside the hose is a zip tie as a back up

My car for example a month ago , I put a water pump in, if it sat over nite it would drip, take the cap off and quit

Coolant is cold but still has psi

If the car ran warm, let it sit say 4 hours not a drop

Let it cool over nite and leak....

Installed zip tie on heater hose end ( in a real bugger of a spot, would have to take manifold off to replace clamp) never leaked again

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tex.

Always seemed weird that it would like when cooling down but not when runnin.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a simple fix would be add a zip tie to every joint

I'm going to, to my wife's xp here when I get it ready

Same thing only leaks when -20 out

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tex, with my XP it was the clamps for the front of the tunnel cooler. I do believe it was just a matter of tightening the clamps. It would leak out over night, not while riding. Only in very cool temperatures.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to be changing the clamps on the t-stat housing it's worth putting in the after market housing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom