Looks like I rode my quad alot lasy year

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I rode my quad a lot last year

I was out quadding around yesterday and my friend asked me how many KM I had on my quad. My quad has 1600KM already and I only bought my quad Feb 1st 2011. I'm curious at the pace of me putting that kind of KM on how long the quad will last! I know maintenance is the key so I keep up on it after every ride. But from a parts stand point if I was to follow Polaris maintenance schedule at 1500KM I would have already replaced all the lines like fuel, break etc. in it lol I doubt after 1 year any of the lines need to be replaced. So I’m wondering if you put on lots of KM in short time is it worse on parts then putting lots of KM over a long period of time because then the parts are not only getting worn but get older. Or maybe it doesn’t matter.

Guess the wife can’t complain I don’t use it. I went out every weekend in the summer last year and went a bunch of times last winter and this winter. Just amazes me how fast the KM adds up. I hope I get out this summer as much as I did the last :beer:

Last edited:

QuadNorth

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Maint. is the key! Just keep everything greased and change fluids regularly. and it should go for ever.
I've seen machines with over 10k on them and still going strong.

I put 2300kms on my new machine purchased in March 2011. they add up fast when you ride a lot!

Depends on what you ride, lots of water or mud is going to def wear parts faster, I clean my machine after ever ride and look it over at the same time. never know what you might find simply by doing a quick check of all the moving parts.

Last edited:

FyreRyder

Reaction score
The yamaha news letter that just came out had a High Mile Club story about a guy in Southern BC that has over 30,000 km on his Rhino.

My personal opinion is turning 100 km a year is harder on the machine than 1000 km. You'll have more issues with bearings and seals if your machine sits collecting dust.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya ride it lots, ya get lots of enjoyment out of it....if it breaks ya fix it and ride it some more....LOL Keep it maintained, and it will definitely last longer.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Regularely put over 1500kms on our machines most of that from beginning of may to middle of october. Never have any real issues. Haveing said that, hubby had the Polaris 850XP for about 18 months and got rid off it because of Polaris repair issues. We do not abuse our machines at all, but after haveing had honda's and yamahas he was dissapointed with quality of the 850XP. He did love the machine for it's ride and handling though, none better he said.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses; it's good to know other opinions. I guess unless your engine blows it’s only parts as they break anyhow. I have to say I’m quite happy with the 850XP so far. The only thing that I’m kind of annoyed with is having to grease the zerks so much (Every ride) on the machine and the bushings for the sway bar and steering post wore out fast and make squeaking noises unless I keep them greased. I don’t know that buying new bushings will matter or if just re-greasing them every few rides is the better way to go. I was talking to another guy and he said that greasing and bushings wearing out have always been a problem on Polaris quads. Also its funny on the 850 how sloppy the steering can feel unless you grease it up then the steering gets stiffer and not so sloppy. I heard there was a fix from Polaris for the sloppy steering but very few dealers know about it. I guess there is nothing wrong with the steering but if you were to compare it to another quad its sloppy.

Last edited:

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iv got 7000kms on my 850 and iv only done one set of bushings all the way around and i do alot of river riding. grease it every 100 hours and your laughin. more than that is a waist of time and grease. the plastic bushings have a lip on them that grease shouldnt pass. if you over grease flui9d will get in and wreck them

Top Bottom