Looking for your opinion.

97summit

Reaction score
I bought a 04 summit from a dealer. They were not willing to come down on the price very much because they had put $2,600.00 of repairs into it. One of them being a new top end. After two days of riding at Valemount then to Whitecourt and half an hour from the truck the gap on one plug is closed.(Just over 100 m and 15 days) Take the sled back to the dealer and they strip it down and say that the crank bearing went and took out the top end. Now it will cost $3,500.00 to fix. Talk to the owner and he will put in $1,000.00.
I know buying used there is no warranty. So do you think the dealer gave me a fair deal or should they do more for me?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 04 summit from a dealer. They were not willing to come down on the price very much because they had put $2,600.00 of repairs into it. One of them being a new top end. After two days of riding at Valemount then to Whitecourt and half an hour from the truck the gap on one plug is closed.(Just over 100 m and 15 days) Take the sled back to the dealer and they strip it down and say that the crank bearing went and took out the top end. Now it will cost $3,500.00 to fix. Talk to the owner and he will put in $1,000.00.
I know buying used there is no warranty. So do you think the dealer gave me a fair deal or should they do more for me?

They should have checked crank run out when they did the top end. Probably would have been caught if they did. Hard to say, but I would do like maxwell said, or I would go one eBay or find a different used motor and drop it in, you will be able to find a different motor for less than $2000. I wouldn't repair the busted one, its broke twice already and the whole sled is not worth much more than that IMO. Get the dealer to kick in what they can though, whether its into your pocket or into the new motor, just remember, you catch more flys with honey than vinegar.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you see the motor apart and witness the damage?? This happened to a friend of mine where all that was needed was a new crank. There was no damage per say to the case or cylinders and a rebuilt crank was all that was needed. And it sure didn't cost 3500. He is making a gesture to cover 1000 which is fine but 3500 sounds premium to me!! Higgins.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you see the motor apart and witness the damage?? This happened to a friend of mine where all that was needed was a new crank. There was no damage per say to the case or cylinders and a rebuilt crank was all that was needed. And it sure didn't cost 3500. He is making a gesture to cover 1000 which is fine but 3500 sounds premium to me!! Higgins.

well that would be a factory shortblock probly with a new head if it was damaged and all labour.

if it did just need a crank the dealer is still going to charge many hours to change it..split the case blahblah reasemble...would still end up around 3g.

i doubt the dealer will give you 1000 back cash but maybe get them to order a shortblock for you like modman said and i know they are around 2000 +- (you can usually find them on ebay for 1000-1500) so pay 1000 and swap yourself.

cobbycat

Reaction score

if the spark plug gap is closed, something hit it and I'm sure the top end is toast (at least on that side). might have gotten lucky though? sounds like the dealership is not very reliable if they didn't catch a toasted crank when they rebuilt the top end the first time. should be checked when apart and if they were unsure, they should have replaced it. if it were me, I would yank the motor and take it to them to fix it.

97summit

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Had the dealer put in a short block, so it cost me $2,700.00 with a on year warranty. This has turned out to be one expentive sled already. And the really bad part of it all is I missed four good weekends of snow.

cobbycat

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Had the dealer put in a short block, so it cost me $2,700.00 with a on year warranty. This has turned out to be one expentive sled already. And the really bad part of it all is I missed four good weekends of snow.

hope you have better luck with it now.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that before or after the 1000$?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW 1900$ for install.. Oh well, at least it has warranty.:confused:

Top Bottom