looking for sled for wife

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at 07 M6 3700miles, untouched bone stock, also a 06 polaris 600 switchback, and a few other sleds that style. any suggestions? will be going to fernie and revy the odd time. mostly fernie for easy riding with her untill she is comfy. also going to be riding praries

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never ridden a Switchback, but I think the M6 will be much more mountain friendly. Quite a few of them around here and they seem to work really well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plan on riding mountains get her a mountain sled! I bought my wife a 600 switchback for her to learn on and it was a big mistake! I advice is bye her a sled similar to what you ride. She doesn't need to use the power of a big sled but if she needs it she's got it. And a good sled will give her lots of confidence cause it will take her where she wants to go.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plan on riding mountains get her a mountain sled! I bought my wife a 600 switchback for her to learn on and it was a big mistake! I advice is bye her a sled similar to what you ride. She doesn't need to use the power of a big sled but if she needs it she's got it. And a good sled will give her lots of confidence cause it will take her where she wants to go.
AGREED!!!! Don't buy her an inferior sled to yours.... she will just get really frusterated and go home....

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife is on a 06 M7 163. Those older M7's and M'6s were great sleds and very easy to maneuver for lighter people. I agree that your wife / girlfriend needs to have at least as good as sled as you. That way everyone has fun.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skidoo summit sport 600's are nice and light. And very easy to pull over especially if you get the quick disconnect installed

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Reverse yes. But my gf has zero issues pulling over her m6. Boggers wife can pull hers over, many #'s wife can pull hers over ........

Yes electric would be very nice but not needed. Reverse is a must though

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omgosh.. every time I glance at your thread I read.. Looking for a Sled Wife... then my mind starts wandering about setting up an all powersports Online dating service.. baa ha haaa

Go with the M6, she'll have so much fun, they're easy to start, and super easy to learn on. Big confidence boosting sled. I would suggest like those guys up there to go with an 800 if she's going to spend more time in the mountains.. Having enough jam to get out of trouble is nice.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 08 M6, rode it for 2 seasons. Great sled for mountain riding as long as it has the 153 track. I did find it a little underpowered for certain conditions. I ended up getting frustrated sometimes, especially when it would take 2 or three tries to get up and over some of the steep & deep! Granted, it did make me a better rider! Comparing it to the 08 M8 I had...no difference in weight but the power was considerably more on the M8 as I had a full SLP set up on it. IMO go for an 800....she won't notice the extra weight and she won't be looking for a bigger sled after a season! 😊

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife is on a 06 M7 163. Those older M7's and M'6s were great sleds and very easy to maneuver for lighter people. I agree that your wife / girlfriend needs to have at least as good as sled as you. That way everyone has fun.

That's the same sled as my wife, I put a 2.5" camo on it and I can't believe where that sled takes her! And it's a good back up sled for you as well!

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to get her to the mountains - get a mountain sled. Period.

Also - get reverse and electric start. And ignore the guys that say "A 600 will be easy for her to pull over " and "Why do you need reverse" .

agreed on the e-start and reverse my wife needs e-start as she can't pull over almost all sleds out there. but the reverse is a creature comfort that is almost a must for new rides(especialy ones that are very un-confident) shes told me it makes her feel alot better/safer knowing that when she starring at the point of no return she has the option to back out and try a different path, and not only having one option that shes not quite comfortable with yet "pin it"

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
agreed on the e-start and reverse my wife needs e-start as she can't pull over almost all sleds out there. but the reverse is a creature comfort that is almost a must for new rides(especialy ones that are very un-confident) shes told me it makes her feel alot better/safer knowing that when she starring at the point of no return she has the option to back out and try a different path, and not only having one option that shes not quite comfortable with yet "pin it"

Anywhere the snow is deep reverse will rarely get you anywhere but very stuck nice for unloading and trail riding but at the point of no return could be a false sense of security

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omgosh.. every time I glance at your thread I read.. Looking for a Sled Wife... then my mind starts wandering about setting up an all powersports Online dating service.. baa ha haaa............

Not to de-rail the thread but I have honestly thought about this as well. Probably a market for it. I got lucky-my chick loves the outdoors!!

Been looking around at used sleds for her as well. Was thinking about just getting an S-Chassis Summit 670 with a 151 track cuz she is pretty short, and they are pretty cheap and reliable sleds. She has never been in the real mountains and isn't sure she will like it yet either.
However getting an older M6 or M8 with at least a 151 is another good option based on reviews that I have read from women who ride. Cat's seem to be the favourite among the ladies.

Top Bottom