looking for help on the best mower for large acreage

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i had a cub cadet zero turn and it just seems to be worn out already and its only four years old it was the smaller rtz model though. parts are expensive and a long way out so just going to bite the bullet and get another one has anyone heard of grasshopper they look real good but very expensive they are a front mount mower and do lift up for cleaning and maintenance

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can screw around with stuff that gets you by or just bite the bullet and get a kubota diesel, the rest will be dust while your still cuttin the grass.

Last edited:

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked at a bunch and decided on this one, it's fast, easy to clean, and so far as run great, it's only a year old....we went with the 72" deck...does 12.5 mph

If the area is open and no tree's I would just put a finishing mower on a small farm tractor with turf tires, but with all the trees and objests we have the zero turn has cut the mowing time down 75%...we used to run a 42" mid mount deck on a lawn tractor.

I agree, zero-turn is definitely the way to go. We have a 5' 3pt hitch mower that is great for the open spaces, but is horribly time consuming around trees and sheds and stuff. We also have a smaller 42" zero-turn for around all the obstacles - less than half the time compared to the 3pt hitch mower. If you can get a larger front mount, zero-turn mower - cost, and space around/between things in the yard, it's definitely the way to go imo.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do some research on SCAG zero turn mowers. Best mower out there hands down!

Sent while using Tapatalk 2

Zeebs in in the US...Scag mowers, not too common in Canada, was one of the 1st zero turn mowers manufacturers.......they are ok, at best. There are better built, way better ergonomically designed (user friendly) mowers out there

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does Deere have a model with a tilt up deck? I hate crawling around digging caked grass out from under them.

No, they did a few years ago but its not as necessary as you think.....some mower decks have a massive opening in the side discharge area and faster blade tip speed resulting in minimal buildup. My old JD 54" mower deck always needed cleaning.....this new 7-iron deck has very little grass buildup issues.....and I have been in wet conditions with it.....it just works great!

I'm probably gonna get one of these.....they are good for up to 500 lbs and around $375.00

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, they did a few years ago but its not as necessary as you think.....some mower decks have a massive opening in the side discharge area and faster blade tip speed resulting in minimal buildup. My old JD 54" mower deck always needed cleaning.....this new 7-iron deck has very little grass buildup issues.....and I have been in wet conditions with it.....it just works great!

I'm probably gonna get one of these.....they are good for up to 500 lbs and around $375.00
That looks half dangerous. Lol.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Dad has a grass hopper z turn.
He has had good luck with it.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a JD 1435 front mount. 72" deck. I cut 3 acers and around trees in about an hour. The 3 cyl diesel, run on a sniff of fuel. I only fill it once or twice a season. Awesome rig. I bought mine used at Martins at the end of the season and got a better deal on it than I ever imagined. I guess they don't want them sitting there for the winter! The deck is high lift, but I almost never have to clean the deck!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks half dangerous. Lol.

yah, poor picture angle.....I have seen it with a fairly large front mount mower lifted in the air. It was ok, the square tubing going thru the middle could maybe be a thicker wall as it was bowing a bit. But it locks in place with a mechanical lock, you strap the wheels on.....simple design.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about 10 of these....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There lots of models with tilt up decks, makes it slick to clean, we put the mulching kit on our Country Clipper, and even cutting wet grass the blade speeds these mowers run vs the lawn tractors, there isnt much to clean....but I still like to flip it up and clean off the bits after a couple of cuts....

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets try this again...10 of these...

Rabbit+Lawnmower.jpg

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a JD 1435 front mount. 72" deck. I cut 3 acers and around trees in about an hour. The 3 cyl diesel, run on a sniff of fuel. I only fill it once or twice a season. Awesome rig. I bought mine used at Martins at the end of the season and got a better deal on it than I ever imagined. I guess they don't want them sitting there for the winter! The deck is high lift, but I almost never have to clean the deck!

Those are very expensive machines new.

If you can find one of these machines buy it up. Only machine I've ever seen that are faster would be those triple deck Kabotas, but those are too big for around trees.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 72'' tori ground master from city of edmonton you can go look at there used stuff then put a closed bid down got mine for 5000 72'' diesel 3cyl 4x4 with 1800 hrs 7 years ago still going

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a grasshopper. They are awesome I mowed 8 acres in just under 3 hrs and did a good job. The diesel is a must.

Top Bottom