Looking for Ford 6.2l info

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting rid of the old 6L Superduty & would like to know what guys think of the F250 or 350 SD with the 6.2L gas. Who's running one? What's mods if any? Mileage you get & any know issues?

Thanks

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 f-350 dually with the 6.2 gas, I have had no issues at all (50,000kms), on the highway empty it gets 19l/100km and pulling a load its about 25l/100km, and my truck has 4:30 rear gears. Power is adequate for most things but really heavy loads (can't replace diesel power for 10,000+ pounds). I run empty a lot so I went with gas motor due to the much cheaper maintenance costs due to the fact I run my trucks long after the warranty is gone.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran one in a service truck;
1) Likes fuel when you make it work.
2) Good power
3) Fair mileage when empty
4) Get lowest gear ratio you can
5) Get good stereo since you need to spin it up to get #2

Better than the V10 I ran before but not as good as the 6.7D

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2011 CC long box SRD with 4:30 ratio and ran it for 100000 Kms with no problems.
Good truck .
17 l/100 empty and good power .
Get the lower ratio rear ends as these new motors want to RPM .

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm looking for gas this time as I didn't use the 6L enough & it only cost me in the long run due to extra maintenance on a diesel truck that didn't get worked.
I can't afford new, so what would be a good year to pick up & what kind of miles is to many fo the 6.2L?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some of the 2011's at work have 220,000kms now and nothing but oil/filters/spark plugs

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm looking for gas this time as I didn't use the 6L enough & it only cost me in the long run due to extra maintenance on a diesel truck that didn't get worked.
I can't afford new, so what would be a good year to pick up & what kind of miles is to many fo the 6.2L?

you will pull big km out of the 6.2 , probably 300,000 plus, should be able to find a 2011 or 12 for decent dollars

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a 2011 with 9500 hours and about 250k on it when he traded it in. It was a service truck. Had about 3000lbs in the back its entire life. It was very poorly maintained and driven very hard he never had any major problems with it. He bought a 2015 exactly the same to replace it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Chipped a few of the 6.2L and they swear by a little more power and noticeable more gas mileage.... Several fleets we service and their 6.2's are all over 150k and no major issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chipped a few of the 6.2L and they swear by a little more power and noticeable more gas mileage.... Several fleets we service and their 6.2's are all over 150k and no major issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what kind of programmer

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info guys.
So why the need for the lower gearing on the 6.2?
Rick....what programmer & what tunes did you use?

Now my search starts for a new rig with proper gearing, low Kms, a color I want & a price I can afford!

Last edited:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sct livewired a couple... Had great results with the bullydog gt platinum(My current favourite) , also has live monitoring screen which is nice.... Can also get just the tune chips like the hyper tech, and done one of those and seems okay too....

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info guys.
So why the need for the lower gearing on the 6.2?
Rick....what programmer & what tunes did you use?

Now my search starts for a new rig with proper gearing, low Kms, a color I want & a price I can afford!

I power band on the engine is at higher rpms.
If your truck is completely empty with no deck or anything and stock tires and no lift at all it will be okay with 3:73 ratio but not great.
Put 4:30 ratio in and the same truck and it's like adding 150 hp .
Mine really started to pull from 3800 rpm and up.
The performance chips as to what I was told help the drive by wire throttle control out.
Gives the motor full throttle in the lower rpm ranges instead of only 70-80% stock.
If you can drive one with 3:73 and then one with 4:30 and you will see.
Get the 4:30 ratio

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks PFI....
i had heard the programmer helps the throttle feel. And yes I need the truck for sled deck, 18' boat & a 28' TT. But the TT goes out to the lake in spring & stays all season. So pull it for 45min drive & that's it.
im going to hit some dealers this wknd & see what the truck is like to drive. Then hope to find a good deal privately on a truck with options I want.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The chips all offer other options, besides the better fuel mileage, noticeable power increase, better throttle response ... Some can make the fog lites stay on with low or high beam... Some can turn chimes off/on, most can adjust for any tiresize change... All kinds of options can be programmed with these chips. I like the bullydog gt gas platinum, because of all the extras and by far the best price of the bunch...

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another question I have is what's the difference with the newer trucks between the 250 & 350 SD? I've read they are both the same suspension now. How can that be??

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the F250 .
In 2011 the brakes bigger on F350 and 1.5 inch bigger rear block in rear of truck under springs.
Other than that same trucks if equipped the same with camper package .

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting rid of the old 6L Superduty & would like to know what guys think of the F250 or 350 SD with the 6.2L gas. Who's running one? What's mods if any? Mileage you get & any know issues?

Thanks[/QUOTE

hey man i got a2011 250 6.2, i love this truck, i pull lots with it, from dump trailers and my 5th wheel and quad trailer or boat behind it an it pulls great, its all stock except for the exhaust, i get about 12l/100km just driving normal and about 21l/100km pulling my b train, very good truck with no issues yet,

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The chips all offer other options, besides the better fuel mileage, noticeable power increase, better throttle response ... Some can make the fog lites stay on with low or high beam... Some can turn chimes off/on, most can adjust for any tiresize change... All kinds of options can be programmed with these chips. I like the bullydog gt gas platinum, because of all the extras and by far the best price of the bunch...

is it possible to buy a chip , not a truck just a chip , to turn off the fog lights on all the dodge trucks running around on the bright sunny days when you meet them.
Apparently the pre drive routine for most dodge guys is , unlock the door , get in , pop out mirrors, put on sunglasses, lower sun visor, turn cap backwards , turn on fog lights , drive away .

Top Bottom