Looking for Feedback on the '15 Viper's

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all due respect Mike, that was now ten years ago and it was also an RT which are widely regarded as the worst mountain sled ever built. I personally would not have owned anything skidoo built between the RT and the Etec as I don't like carbs especially when everyone else had switched to very good fuel injection systems many years previously.

To the OP it sounds like you want a sled that won't give you any headaches and have a very low patience tolerance for issues. I get that but it's not realistic for manufacturers to nail perfection with how far they are pushing the technology in these machines. Considering the issues the Cats and Polaris had up until 2014 I think Ski-Doo has done a very good job and had mostly minor issues and recall campaigns in comparison. If that doesn't keep you happy then maybe the Yamaha will be a good option for you as it is a 4 year old Cat chassis with a motor they have had for 7 years, hardly pushing the technology envelope but should be ironed out and reliable.

Because you know me with the RT from Dootalk it doesn't mean the Rt was the determining factor.

In 2000 i purchased 2 700 Summit 151, my first Ski-doo's. Overall impression, loved them, both sled's rear shocks failed by end of season and BRP covered them. The sled i had been riding was a Cat 1000 (thundercat) and it was parked that season cause i rode the Doo's.
So happy with Doo i replaced one 2000 model for a 2003 800 159 Summit. The sled never made the season, cylinder and piston failure, BRP dealer took almost 2 month to fix. I ended up buying another Cat (1M-900 kingcat) to finish the season.
In 2005 snow checked the RT, and it also never finished the season, crank and piston failure. BRP would only cover half of crank cost and one piston. I ended up paying for the other piston and related part's plus other half of crank.
In 2006 i traded the other 2000 model for a Summit 600SDI for wife, by end of second season both piston's needed replacing, including crank. It had the same issue as the RT, dusted crank from belt dust.
Replaced the 600 with a left over snow checked 2007 800 XRS for wife, well ended up putting a crank in it. Dumped the sled for another Cat 2007 M8, she still riding it, zero issues.
The 2003 800 Summit towed out
The 2005 RT Summit towed out 2 times.
The 2007 XRS Summit towed out

In 2010 i got tired of being the test dummy or being let down so went back to Cat and Yamaha.
As mentioned maybe i missed the boat and the current Doo's are real good but after being bent over so many times it will be awhile before i can trust that.

To add to that, i'm not mentioning the little stuff causing run ability issues like sensors and bad clutching.

I do want to mention even though these sleds are old now, they were all purchased NEW at the time. I only wrote this post to show my experience of a 10yr span with Doo. Currently i will be replacing the wife's aging M8 with a new sled, then next season my own ride.
I am not one of them dudes making oil wages so my sled's need to run 4-5 years as i can not afford to replace seasonally or every couple of year's.
I do think history proves alot.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because you know me with the RT from Dootalk it doesn't mean the Rt was the determining factor.

In 2000 i purchased 2 700 Summit 151, my first Ski-doo's. Overall impression, loved them, both sled's rear shocks failed by end of season and BRP covered them. The sled i had been riding was a Cat 1000 (thundercat) and it was parked that season cause i rode the Doo's.
So happy with Doo i replaced one 2000 model for a 2003 800 159 Summit. The sled never made the season, cylinder and piston failure, BRP dealer took almost 2 month to fix. I ended up buying another Cat (1M-900 kingcat) to finish the season.
In 2005 snow checked the RT, and it also never finished the season, crank and piston failure. BRP would only cover half of crank cost and one piston. I ended up paying for the other piston and related part's plus other half of crank.
In 2006 i traded the other 2000 model for a Summit 600SDI for wife, by end of second season both piston's needed replacing, including crank. It had the same issue as the RT, dusted crank from belt dust.
Replaced the 600 with a left over snow checked 2007 800 XRS for wife, well ended up putting a crank in it. Dumped the sled for another Cat 2007 M8, she still riding it, zero issues.
The 2003 800 Summit towed out
The 2005 RT Summit towed out 2 times.
The 2007 XRS Summit towed out

In 2010 i got tired of being the test dummy or being let down so went back to Cat and Yamaha.
As mentioned maybe i missed the boat and the current Doo's are real good but after being bent over so many times it will be awhile before i can trust that.

To add to that, i'm not mentioning the little stuff causing run ability issues like sensors and bad clutching.

I do want to mention even though these sleds are old now, they were all purchased NEW at the time. I only wrote this post to show my experience of a 10yr span with Doo. Currently i will be replacing the wife's aging M8 with a new sled, then next season my own ride.
I am not one of them dudes making oil wages so my sled's need to run 4-5 years as i can not afford to replace seasonally or every couple of year's.
I do think history proves alot.
I can certainly see why that would put a bad taste in a guy's mouth.

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
A few of these out on the snow now. Seeing if there is any feedback on how or what guys like or dislike about the newest Viper.
Post your thoughts, opinions and vids if you want here. Interested in hearing from both the turbo and non-turbo guys!:beer:

PM Skyline he did a viper build this year.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clarify I am not afraid of having to wrench a bit on a sled. That's part of setting it up for your riding style. What l don't like are repeat trips to the dealer to get issues worked out. Especially on a stock sled.
I'm looking at other options for the powerplant and platform and the Viper appears to fit what I am looking for. Granted until I throw a leg over one and give it a whirl I can't be sure but all reviews so far are positive which is a good sign.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lightning1000 off of this forum built a boost it viper this year. He couldnt keep his kid off of it so they ended up selling his pro and buying another MPI boosted viper! His kid is pretty young and definitely not that big. That says something about their handling I guess.

• Thanks
Reactions: LBZ

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dale
I'm riding my Nytro this season and hopefully will be replacing it for a new sled soon. Hoping for next season.
When i first bought my Nytro i was really not sure what to expect. Definitely a huge learning curve compared to running 2stroke's for many year's.
Weight, power curve, maintenance, handling, no pull cord, the sound was all foreign to a 2stroke rider like me. The way you ROLL the throttle compared to the 2stroke on the bar technique in the deep stuff, cause the torque curve is so fat.
Even though the Nytro's handling characteristic's REALLY SUCKED compared to any of the 2strokes out there, many guy's learn't to deal with it. Some with certain mod's other's just rode them, either way all of them shared the same thing that NO 2stroke can claim. SOLID RELIABILITY and typical Yamaha quality.
All i can say is the Viper will be everything the Nytro was but far better. When it comes to handling, it will be more like a 2stroke, yet its not.
For myself after experiencing the Nytro since 2010, i will be replacing it with another Yamaha 4stroke without a doubt, it fits my style and you have riden with me so you know my style.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something else to consider in your purchase, the group you ride with or might ride with...their style.
I know from experience many dudes when they find out your on a 4stroke will want to ride in the timber all day, maybe to show or try to teach you a lesson on tanky 4strokes. HAHAHA
Either way their unfair advantage quickly show's, so it's important to know what your style will be. Myself, i know my style and i'm not hard up for riding partner's, so i stick to what i enjoy out there.
If you need to be the center of attention or a Chris Burandt copy cat a 4stroke won't do you any favor's, unless your all turbo'ed up and slaying big chute's. But then you quickly find out your 2stroke riding friends won't hang out.

BTW i was also told last season that the Viper is actually a carry over sled in an attempt by Yamaha to keep their market share in the mountain sled's. Yamaha needed a quick fix as a Nytro replacement so made a deal with A/C. They have been working on a 100% Yamaha designed and built mountain specific sled and have been for several years now. The problem was that it was not ready for production and is still in testing, developing mode. The release plan is for 2016.
Food for thought.

Top Bottom