looking at new desiels

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. Yes the duramax is the quickest stock form empty.....because it's the lighest. IFS and a V8 diesel weight nothing compared to trucks with real parts. The powerstroke has never been anything close to the Cummins since the 7.3, which was decent but still couldn't compete. There is a reason nearly all big rigs are inline engines. V diesels are a joke compared to them, they don't last.

But I guess you've got to defend what you drive. Have fun with that IFS that need 12" of lift to run 35" tires :rolleyes:

The picture speaks for itself.

connectingrod.jpg

thats a far stretch. a simple 6 inch lift will fit 35's. that applies to most trucks. lol u ford guys and dodge guys 1920 technology suspension. lol
and its funny reading all these comments about how u need 12" of lift on a IFS to fit 37's?? com on guys get the facts straight. we got nothn but lifted trucks around here....8" with 38's, 12" with 42's, 9" with 37's....etc. the difference is dodge and ford sit a little high in stock fourm.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i highly doubt a 6spd manual is as fast as an auto truck. there is no way doesnt matter how good you are that you can shift as fast as an auto. maybe in a sport compact. but i will agree they are good for towing control...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i highly doubt a 6spd manual is as fast as an auto truck. there is no way doesnt matter how good you are that you can shift as fast as an auto. maybe in a sport compact. but i will agree they are good for towing control...

Haven't seen a video or a run in person of someone driving a stick diesel that knows how to row gears? 3rd gen cummins std, mid 13's with just a programmer and a pressure box, 100% stock otherwise. A stock auto probably wouldn't make it down the track wouldn't blowing up to that much power, and if it did wouldn't run any faster. That's also starting in 2nd in 2wd, no boosted launch even. If your running enough power you start in 3rd or 4th, so 1 or 2 shifts is all. But the mid 13 was 2 all the way to 6 not missing any gears. The thing is, the auto still lags shifting a bit.

I'd take my truck to the track to show you, but with 38x15.50 tires it ain't to fast anymore LOL.

08summit my 5.9 is stock, I will gladly hook up the straps anytime. I'm not sure why mine weights 9000lbs empty though :p :d

Trust me bud, I drive a 6.7 on a regular basis, it doesn't compare. My 5.9 is lifted, etc and will still blow the doors off my dads 6.7. I'd hook up the strap for fun, but the tranny is weak as it is from trying to pull out a stump :p And I feel bad.....my truck has to much of an advantage.

As far as chevies running no tires, that is the truth. How big can you get on a stock truck? 31's? You can fit 35x12.50 on a dodge with ZERO rubbing. Don't get your panties in a twist, I was being sarcastic, but chevies need a mile high lift to clear tires compared to the others. Old suspension? IFS isn't new buddy. IFS is the stuff people went away from, because it belongs on your mall crawler to go get your groceries. Offroading, heavy hauling is all solid axle. I wonder why all the chevy boys running any real tires do the solid axle swap? :rolleyes: The reason dodge and ford put it in their half tons is a better ride for the grocery getters

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u dont give chevys much credit lol. big dodge fan. buddy has a 06 duramax, 9 inch lift, 38" on 20's all he has done is PPE programer, intake, exhaust and running mid 14's the couple times he went to the track with a auto tranny. truck has 60,000 km so far. he prolly could do better if he didnt have to have it in 4x4. 2 wheel drive spins out on boosted launch and hes too slow in 2 wheel drive wit a slow start. my 2cents is that if dodge didnt have the cummins and a good looking body, they wouldnt have nethn.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after reading this thread I haven't got any info to help me decide which truck to get. My old 96 12v is getting tired and it's time. 350K and the engine and tranny are strong-everything else is wearing out. My dodge has been good to me but I hear the new ones have issues. What is the DPF exhaust system and what is it that goes wrong with these??

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after reading this thread I haven't got any info to help me decide which truck to get. My old 96 12v is getting tired and it's time. 350K and the engine and tranny are strong-everything else is wearing out. My dodge has been good to me but I hear the new ones have issues. What is the DPF exhaust system and what is it that goes wrong with these??

Sell your truck to Cyle - he'll just keep driving the motor for 45 more years....;)

Which truck? What do you use your rig for? What didn't you like about your current rig? going to lift it? off road it? does your wife drive it too? what?

The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) traps soot and needs to be regenerated ( cleaned by periodically heating the hell out of it ) On some trucks they cause codes, on all trucks they hurt fuel mileage. On the GM's you can put on a aftermarket exhaust and a tuner to block the codes and stop the regens. I think it's basically the same with the other 2.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that ole 96 12 valve is a legend haha! well the best bet for judging what diesel is best is to go down to the dealerships and try each one out. I know preferences are what we first look for when looking at new toys but the only thing that'll actually prove anything is testing each one out for yourself and seeing what suits you best.

Alot of us are brand loyal and cut others trucks down to make ours seem better and for some of us helping justify the 50-60 g we spent on them! it kinda goes back to the ole "my dad could beat up your dad" mentality when we were kids (well at least some of us) :rolleyes: that being said each truck has their weak links some are worse than others but if you plan to keep em stock and do regular maintenance then they should all last pretty much the same amount of kms (factor in a few lemons tho!), If you plan on modding them out like myself (big tires, injectors, modules, programmers etc) have your cheque book out! :d i don't know how often i see guys complaining that their truck broke and its a pos and there dealer screwed em , they never buy another one of that brand again etc but then you turn around and they have all sorts of mods that added 200+ hp and just shake your head.... but thats just my :twocents:

here's just a lil info on the particulate filters... hope it helps

Diesel particulate filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
pros
* clean , sootless exhaust
cons
* lower mpg
* issues with burnoff
* clogged dpf filters
* etc

now you can delete these systems but it also voids your warranty and is illegal but hey.. what doesnt !

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell your truck to Cyle - he'll just keep driving the motor for 45 more years....;)

Which truck? What do you use your rig for? What didn't you like about your current rig? going to lift it? off road it? does your wife drive it too? what?

The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) traps soot and needs to be regenerated ( cleaned by periodically heating the hell out of it ) On some trucks they cause codes, on all trucks they hurt fuel mileage. On the GM's you can put on a aftermarket exhaust and a tuner to block the codes and stop the regens. I think it's basically the same with the other 2.

Do ittt! I am actually looking for a 12v to turn into a sleeper to embrass all these new diesels and have some fun :d I just want a 1st gen though 93 is the perfect year! $20 grand into one of them and it's the ultimate sleeper, not many trucks on the road will run with them. New trucks are gay.

What do you mean by worn out? 350k is nothing. Yea it's an older truck and would have some creeks and rattles by now, but that's to be expected. You'll still get a fortune for the truck, the motor is worth a fortune.

Like said above it all depends on your intentions. By the sounds of it you keep the trucks forever, and the newer diesels are a big gamble if you plan to keep it to 350k or so. The plastic electronics crap is only going to last so long before it turns into a knightmare and the trucks won't be worth fixing. Nothing like the old 12v that has the very basic electronics that anyone can work on in their driveway.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both ford and dodge , i quit driving ford in 94 and switched to dodge they all have pulled over 350 000 km with minmal repairs till i got my 2008 6.7 peice of crap , put 114000 km s on it cost me so much with that new enviro crap they put on , i went back put 6000.00 in to my 2004 5.9 and sold the 08 and have since now tapping 400 k on the 04 i think ill keep fixing the 5.9 , best dam engines i have ever had , oh yeah my 1994 ford cost nothing but money to keep on the road < just my 2 cents

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do ittt! I am actually looking for a 12v to turn into a sleeper to embrass all these new diesels and have some fun :d I just want a 1st gen though 93 is the perfect year! $20 grand into one of them and it's the ultimate sleeper, not many trucks on the road will run with them. New trucks are gay.

What do you mean by worn out? 350k is nothing. Yea it's an older truck and would have some creeks and rattles by now, but that's to be expected. You'll still get a fortune for the truck, the motor is worth a fortune.

Like said above it all depends on your intentions. By the sounds of it you keep the trucks forever, and the newer diesels are a big gamble if you plan to keep it to 350k or so. The plastic electronics crap is only going to last so long before it turns into a knightmare and the trucks won't be worth fixing. Nothing like the old 12v that has the very basic electronics that anyone can work on in their driveway.

Yeah worn out is about right. My 93' has 351,000 on it, its got numerous rattles, creeks, leaks, dents, dings etc. It isn't worth a fortune and neither is the "motor". By motor I'm guessing you mean engine because a motor is electric or hydraulically driven. 1st gens are hard to get parts for anything other than the drivetrain as well. Not only that but they ride rougher than sh!t too, I've smacked my head on the roof of the cab a few times. $20k into a 1st gen would make a cool truck but in the end you've got a rig that can't seat more than two people comfortably or carry very much gear in the cab. Not very feasible for the average guy who just wants to haul his toys around.

I'll put it this way, my 93 is my play/hunting truck. I don't give a sh!t if I break something or dent/scratch it. My 04 is my daily driver that's comfortable, smoother riding and able to haul a few people and gear.

Back to the original question and getting away from pissing match. Any of the new diesel trucks are more the up to the task of pulling/hauling your toys. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Which ever one you can get the best deal on and whoever can give you the best customer service would get my business.:twocents:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not exactly worn out, since it has new front end parts, axle seals, brakes and the list goes on. Still a nice truck but would like some creature comforts.
I don't think it's worth a fortune. We just sold an 01 sport SB six speed with 240K on it for 16K which I thought was top dollar.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that ole 96 12 valve is a legend haha! well the best bet for judging what diesel is best is to go down to the dealerships and try each one out. I know preferences are what we first look for when looking at new toys but the only thing that'll actually prove anything is testing each one out for yourself and seeing what suits you best.

Alot of us are brand loyal and cut others trucks down to make ours seem better and for some of us helping justify the 50-60 g we spent on them! it kinda goes back to the ole "my dad could beat up your dad" mentality when we were kids (well at least some of us) :rolleyes: that being said each truck has their weak links some are worse than others but if you plan to keep em stock and do regular maintenance then they should all last pretty much the same amount of kms (factor in a few lemons tho!), If you plan on modding them out like myself (big tires, injectors, modules, programmers etc) have your cheque book out! :d i don't know how often i see guys complaining that their truck broke and its a pos and there dealer screwed em , they never buy another one of that brand again etc but then you turn around and they have all sorts of mods that added 200+ hp and just shake your head.... but thats just my :twocents:

here's just a lil info on the particulate filters... hope it helps

Diesel particulate filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
pros
* clean , sootless exhaust
cons
* lower mpg
* issues with burnoff
* clogged dpf filters
* etc

now you can delete these systems but it also voids your warranty and is illegal but hey.. what doesnt !
Thanks for the info, that 12 valve is good and I will keep it. If these units with the DPF system are used as intended, long drives under load and no short city drives are they are problem? Getting rid of emmission controls is nothing new to me.
Looking at the new dodges I will need to at least level it or lift it among other things.
Never owned Ford and have had 5 new GM's and they are glorified cars.
Have to agree with you, when you add power to to any of em stuff will break, first to go is the auto tranny.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, that 12 valve is good and I will keep it. If these units with the DPF system are used as intended, long drives under load and no short city drives are they are problem? Getting rid of emmission controls is nothing new to me.
Looking at the new dodges I will need to at least level it or lift it among other things.
Never owned Ford and have had 5 new GM's and they are glorified cars.
Have to agree with you, when you add power to to any of em stuff will break, first to go is the auto tranny.

Hey no problem ! The dodge in my profile is leveled with 35x12.5-20 toyo m/t's.. i tore 2 stock transmissions out of the truck before i built one on my dime spent 5 grand on one and never looked back just got it serviced (new gov pressure solnoid ,fluid and filter change and its like a brand new transmission again! now im looking into injectors because mine are starting to show signs of wear and tear (hard starting) but other than that i love the truck. i also replaced the front end tie rod, ball joints, shocks f+r, u joints grease whatever i could up and after the alignment shes good as new! oh well just my 2cents again ! cheers! :beer:

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or ricers:d

haha well if your planning on running compounds, injectors, module, and a programmer like i do yeah then yes lol. (or any kinda power adders) this of course is with the 48re. And im sure theres quite a few guys with a lot of miles on a stock 48re that will tell me im wrong but, from a guy who runs his truck pretty hard this is what ive come up with. I haven't experienced the 68re yet. or you could just buy a standard.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah worn out is about right. My 93' has 351,000 on it, its got numerous rattles, creeks, leaks, dents, dings etc. It isn't worth a fortune and neither is the "motor". By motor I'm guessing you mean engine because a motor is electric or hydraulically driven. 1st gens are hard to get parts for anything other than the drivetrain as well. Not only that but they ride rougher than sh!t too, I've smacked my head on the roof of the cab a few times. $20k into a 1st gen would make a cool truck but in the end you've got a rig that can't seat more than two people comfortably or carry very much gear in the cab. Not very feasible for the average guy who just wants to haul his toys around.

I'll put it this way, my 93 is my play/hunting truck. I don't give a sh!t if I break something or dent/scratch it. My 04 is my daily driver that's comfortable, smoother riding and able to haul a few people and gear.

Back to the original question and getting away from pissing match. Any of the new diesel trucks are more the up to the task of pulling/hauling your toys. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Which ever one you can get the best deal on and whoever can give you the best customer service would get my business.:twocents:

Yea it depends how it's been taken care of. I had a 01 with 310,000km on it, still rode and drove like new. Yea it needs little things at that mileage, but it's well worth it. I will agree the older ones aren't as nice for long drives though. My 12v won't be my DD, and my 3rd gen won't be either for much longer. I am buying a half ton for that. The 12v will simply be a sunday drive type vehicle for smoking ricers and people in their shiny new diesels. The reason I want a 12v is it's the best platform for a truck. No emissions, no electronics, cheap parts and they are plentiful.

The 12v "engine" is worth a fortune because people want them for swaps and custom builds. Now you won't get 20 grand or anything, but for the year/mileage of the truck they fetch a lot of money. As long as they are in decent shape. Heck one in pristine condition 1st gen could fetch almost 10 grand.

Some people don't mind it, someone I know still drivers their 94 12v. Owned it since new, has 2,200,000km on it. Yes 2 million km. The truck is done and completely worn out, but sure has stood up good considering it's a welding truck that's been drug by cats etc.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have this 08 f/s also, i need a long box, it has all the dpf,egr deletes done also with the smarty chip,30hp-190hp, turbo back banks stainless dual exhaust, banks ram air cold air intake, 285 tires, full load slt,dvd, prw,pp,etc. you can see the rest of the options. has only 12000km and 3 mths old, call 780-974-1903 if interested.

Attachments

• 08 qc truck 001.jpg
    08 qc truck 001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 45
  • 08 qc truck 003.jpg
    08 qc truck 003.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 45

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: looking at new diesels

Best thing to do is go drive em. Gotta remember opinions are like a$$holes,everyones got one.:jerry::chevy::ramsfan_small::smilieicon_ford:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey no problem ! The dodge in my profile is leveled with 35x12.5-20 toyo m/t's.. i tore 2 stock transmissions out of the truck before i built one on my dime spent 5 grand on one and never looked back just got it serviced (new gov pressure solnoid ,fluid and filter change and its like a brand new transmission again! now im looking into injectors because mine are starting to show signs of wear and tear (hard starting) but other than that i love the truck. i also replaced the front end tie rod, ball joints, shocks f+r, u joints grease whatever i could up and after the alignment shes good as new! oh well just my 2cents again ! cheers! :beer:
Took a look at your profile, nice truck. Funny, we work for the same company. I am at CRC. I have been the transmission route myself, you got a better deal than me I spent $6.1K on mine. I have a long box and use a deck and wonder how well a deck will work on a short box.

Top Bottom