looking at new desiels

03rmk8

Reaction score
ive been looking at getting a new desiel truck. I would like your guys opions on thess trucks(all makes) im looking for some thing that can easly be mofied for more power with no major problems. thanks in adavance for your help.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Re: loking at new desiels

I looked hard at all the new models before buying a K2500HD Duramax Diesel a couple months ago. Didn't like what Ford and Dodge brought to the table versus the GM so the General Motors product won out in the end. The stock configuration made great power vs the others, and had great interior appointments with full load. I think it was 365HP and 630TQ in stock form? I have since added a PPE Tuner (Stage 2 setting) an S&B Air Box, and Magnaflow Exhaust. It now makes 455HP with 820TQ and pulls like a freight train with a couple higher settings available if I need more power.

Deleted the stock DPF system, added pyrometer and boost gauges to watch what it's doing and it's set mild enough that it should never hurt the Allison 6 speed trans. In my book, this is one well appointed truck with some serious "useable" daily power! It's a black 09 crew cab with a Rancho Lift, Wheels Tires being done. Might actually sell it to upgrade to a 1 Ton Duramax Dually so let me know if you want a wicked truck that just had everything right done to it. It was bought in October and it's mint!

In either case, GM makes wicked power and it's a very comfortable cool looking rig! LMM Series Duramax motors all the way!

Attachments

• K2500HD.jpg
    K2500HD.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 55

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gascan if you do decide to sell, let me know what you are looking to get for it.:beer::beer:
Truck looks awesome, aggressive but not ridiculous

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would recommend the ford 6.4l, its got a nice ride and nice power a real comfortable vehicle to drive, or if you wait until next year when the 6.7l ford comes out, that looks like a pretty solid engine, good luck in your search and i hope you find what you are looking for

Demon13

Reaction score
I would also be interested in how much you want for your 09 GM. PM me if you decide to sell.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how much power your looking for. All out power, the 5.9 Cummins cannot be matched, it will hold up to insane amounts of power without much additions. If you want something very new, you must delete the DPF to make any power, but no warranty on anything, but all the new motors are nothing great whatsoever. Again depending on the power, only Dodge makes a standard, which is the best choice for stock to mild power by far.

I personally wouldn't ever touch a non Cummins diesel, GM and Ford have had so many issues with 100% of their diesels in the last 10 years they just aren't relieable for real miles. And if you plan to keep it forever and put some power down, by prepared to pay some big coin if you go with a V8 diesel, they are nothing like a I6. There is a reason the cummins is so much heavier.

As you can tell i'm a bit bias :d The dodge part isn't the best but it's ok, the cummins makes it the best bar none. Doesn't matter what anyone says, it has been proven to death the cummins 5.9 is the best pickup diesel engine ever built.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how much power your looking for. All out power, the 5.9 Cummins cannot be matched, it will hold up to insane amounts of power without much additions. If you want something very new, you must delete the DPF to make any power, but no warranty on anything, but all the new motors are nothing great whatsoever. Again depending on the power, only Dodge makes a standard, which is the best choice for stock to mild power by far.

I personally wouldn't ever touch a non Cummins diesel, GM and Ford have had so many issues with 100% of their diesels in the last 10 years they just aren't relieable for real miles. And if you plan to keep it forever and put some power down, by prepared to pay some big coin if you go with a V8 diesel, they are nothing like a I6. There is a reason the cummins is so much heavier.

As you can tell i'm a bit bias :d The dodge part isn't the best but it's ok, the cummins makes it the best bar none. Doesn't matter what anyone says, it has been proven to death the cummins 5.9 is the best pickup diesel engine ever built.

100% in the last 10 years? how about the 7.3l powerstroke, i would say from 2003 to 2007 the fords were problematic and before that they had a strong powerplant since the early 90s. and the dmaxs are a pretty strong motor and i have heard lots of good things about them. the only motor i ever heard of that had 100% a problematic diesel engine was the old gm 6.5l and gm has really made up for that mistake with dmax

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% in the last 10 years? how about the 7.3l powerstroke, i would say from 2003 to 2007 the fords were problematic and before that they had a strong powerplant since the early 90s. and the dmaxs are a pretty strong motor and i have heard lots of good things about them. the only motor i ever heard of that had 100% a problematic diesel engine was the old gm 6.5l and gm has really made up for that mistake with dmax

I had a GMC 6.5. I wouldn't say it was problematic but just underpowered. I drive a 5.9 Cummins. wicked up to 440 HP. love it. Not sure that I would go to the new 6.7 Cummins. Heard horror stories about the DPF system giving grief. Just what I heard. no proof for backup so take it with a grain of salt.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own 2 dodge diesels.

2001 quad cab 4x4. 6 speed standard, straight piped from the turbo back, 275hp injectors and a k&n filter. This truck has 327000 km on it and just had the clutch done last week.( 1st one ) It has not been babied and is used daily for hauling everything from horses to tractors.
It did have injectors and a lift pump replaced but it is the best darn truck I have ever owned.
As I had a Chev 6.5 before this one, I know what a piece of $(*^% that truck was.

The other is a 06 megacab 4x4 this one is a 6 speed standard as well and is a great truck.The kids just love the room in this rig and so do I as they can't reach each other.:d

Both have been pretty reliable, the 01 is more of a truck, the mega cab is nicer for the long haul.

One thing is certain and I have driven many many miles in each, the Cummings cannot be over rated for power and fuel economy.

Ok, I will stop bragging up these trucks as I am sure all the Ford guys stopped reading long ago ! :pii

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The 7.3L is about the only exclusion from it, wasn't sure when it ended was figuring 99 or so? It still isn't close, but was a decent motor. The duramaxs are still nothing but problems from what i've heard. Don't know because I wouldn't ever think of touching a V8 diesel.

As far as power, manufacter ratings are a joke, put a 15k trailer behind all three trucks and then you'll see which one has the most power, which is by far the cummins.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Dodge? Ford, Chev? It's been proven in every major truck rag that Chev Duramax makes the best power with the LMM Diesel. In stock form...nothing touches it and when it came to bolt on horsepower and torque, Ford was left Cumming up short again with the Dodge. Fact!

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a GMC 6.5. I wouldn't say it was problematic but just underpowered. I drive a 5.9 Cummins. wicked up to 440 HP. love it. Not sure that I would go to the new 6.7 Cummins. Heard horror stories about the DPF system giving grief. Just what I heard. no proof for backup so take it with a grain of salt.

i had a 6.5l in a suburban and everything had to be replaced in that thing, it was very hit and miss with these motors, some were good and some werent, but i still see that old thing driving around so its still running and when i got rid of it she had 344,000km so i guess that isnt to bad but i would never risk buying another. and like you said it is extremely underpowered. but that old burb was the kinda thing you wouldnt take out for fear of not making it home. lots of good memories in that thing though

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you guys getting for mpg? I have been a chevy fan for ever but my eyes are always open and fuel mileage means a lot to me.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 7.3L is about the only exclusion from it, wasn't sure when it ended was figuring 99 or so? It still isn't close, but was a decent motor. The duramaxs are still nothing but problems from what i've heard. Don't know because I wouldn't ever think of touching a V8 diesel.

As far as power, manufacter ratings are a joke, put a 15k trailer behind all three trucks and then you'll see which one has the most power, which is by far the cummins.

last full production year for the 7.3l was 2002 and some were produced in 2003 and then they brought out that joke of a motor the 6.0l. and ive seen lots of dmax's set up for drag racing so i would think it is a pretty good powerplant

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you guys getting for mpg? I have been a chevy fan for ever but my eyes are always open and fuel mileage means a lot to me.
I been driving my 01 Dodge from Athabasca to McMurray since new. I go every week and I have for 15 yrs. (wore out two chevs before this truck )

I average 900 kms a tank depending on the weather. Last night it was -33 c driving up so it burned a quarter tank versus the usual eighth of a tank I see in the summer. I always drive at 110 km/hr day or night so it is pretty consistant. The truck has 327000 kms and I plan to drive it for 10 more yrs !

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'll give dodge credit with their 5.9 cummings. but thats where it ends. lol the new 6.7.......please stop makn them! lol we got a 08 that isnt too great. fords 6.0 was good in stock forum but u add the slighest power increase and goodbye wallet. bunch of guys have new and little older dmax's and not probs. have two buddys with 06's 12" lift 42" tires on one and 40" on the other wit alota bolts ons 1000ft lbs tq +/- and no issuses. one guy has 150,000 hard kms so far wit the mods. hes blew everythn up but the motor so far. lol GO TEAM GM!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge? Ford, Chev? It's been proven in every major truck rag that Chev Duramax makes the best power with the LMM Diesel. In stock form...nothing touches it and when it came to bolt on horsepower and torque, Ford was left Cumming up short again with the Dodge. Fact!

LOL. Yes the duramax is the quickest stock form empty.....because it's the lighest. IFS and a V8 diesel weight nothing compared to trucks with real parts. The powerstroke has never been anything close to the Cummins since the 7.3, which was decent but still couldn't compete. There is a reason nearly all big rigs are inline engines. V diesels are a joke compared to them, they don't last.

But I guess you've got to defend what you drive. Have fun with that IFS that need 12" of lift to run 35" tires :rolleyes:

The picture speaks for itself.

connectingrod.jpg

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. Yes the duramax is the quickest stock form empty.....because it's the lighest. IFS and a V8 diesel weight nothing compared to trucks with real parts. The powerstroke has never been anything close to the Cummins since the 7.3, which was decent but still couldn't compete. There is a reason nearly all big rigs are inline engines. V diesels are a joke compared to them, they don't last.

But I guess you've got to defend what you drive. Have fun with that IFS that need 12" of lift to run 35" tires :rolleyes:

The picture speaks for itself.

connectingrod.jpg

Put the pipe down buddy. Not all V8 diesels are the devil as you claim them to be. Locomotives use V- configured engines. Gensets? V- configured. Mining trucks, large dozers, ships, yep they use V configured engines. Do a little research before you start bashing away with your 5.9 blinders on...

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Put the pipe down buddy. Not all V8 diesels are the devil as you claim them to be. Locomotives use V- configured engines. Gensets? V- configured. Mining trucks, large dozers, ships, yep they use V configured engines. Do a little research before you start bashing away with your 5.9 blinders on...

I can see this is a touchy subject but here it goes anyway. How many GMC/Chev or Ford V8 diesels have 500,000 km let alone countless hrs on them and have never had a bearing rollin?? I've never seen one yet. The 5.9 is not bulit proof but as cummins goes, they know how to build a diesel. It's been proven since 1920.

Top Bottom