Long Lake area

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well the deep freeze should end today and the first nice day of riding will be on saturday. We have about a foot of snow in the area, still not much of a base though it's been to cold.

The north end creek still has many open areas, a lot of the corners are open caution is the name of the game.

The ice fishers are driving on the lake now, I would not do that, $60000 pickup vs a one pound perch ????

The ski hill is open Ph # 1780 576 2161

You can off load at Happy's store or down at the first boat launch at the park.

If you get way south and are in the area of Saturday Lake be careful it is loaded with springs.

The last time I was on the park trail that comes out at the the "map" the gate was locked so plan your trip with that in mind.

The trail that goes south from the south end of the lake has an open creek running this year, about a foot deep but solid mud, made a mess of my new Apex .

Have a safe weekend of riding

Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Hope everyone had a safe weekend, I did not, The saturday ride started out at 11:00 am and at about 11:10 am one of the ladies had hooked a snowcovered dead fall with here left ski stopped the sled cold twisted it a little left pitched her off and she landed on her left arm and broke it in two places. I was behind her, saw the whole thing, speed was a blistering 10 kph. She jumped up looked at me and said with a tear in her eye, I broke my arm, well the safety guy comes out pretty quick, settles her down, pulls out the first aid kit and off to the Boyle hospital she goes, confirms a double bone break and to the Royal Alex on monday for minor surgery.
How innocent can it get, no speed, no booze, started with a smile and ended with a tear.
Hats off to the staff a Boyle Hospital they are the best.
Just a reminder folks how easy it can happen.

But the rest of the weekend riding was great.
I ventured south and east of the lake to the pipe line that runs between Boyle and Smoky, alot of snow but a thin base, there are nuggets out there I uncovered that can loosen fillings.

The owner of E&S rode with us today he will remain nameless (D.B.) if anyone is talking to him, ask him what happens when you put an old used battery in a $30000 dollar snowmobile and go for a ride.

Long Lake area picked up another six inches of snow this weekend so if your not going to the mountains come on out and go for a ride.

The lake has a lot of top water now so be aware of that.
The north creek has open water, use caution

And last but not least Ride Safe

Don

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was out there today as well and had the same type of incident myself,skis went under a fairly large well hidden tree and stopped me on a dime and over the bars I went,luckily no broken bones,need a new steering post though.There is a good amount of snow but no base is definatly an issue,A few pics for ya.#1Post look bent to you #2 Weeze thinks he has a submarine #3 Murminator biting it big time.........Great pic!#4 On the lake!

catmando!
Speedy recovery for the injured lady!

Attachments

• P1110010.jpg
    P1110010.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
  • P1110008.jpg
    P1110008.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P1110003.jpg
    P1110003.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 46
  • P1110012.jpg
    P1110012.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 44

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode from the farm to White Earth to Long Lake on Satuday,seven of us and we had a blast. My dad rode with us (a young man of 77!!) and retold stories of logging the valley with horses for his dad's sawmill. Rode around the farm and crazy carpeted some hills with the family till waaay after dark, had a fire at our treehouse then craked a bunch of fireworks. Man do those roman candles ever deflect off of poplar tree trunks:d:d. About 12-16" of snow but no base yet. Towed the girls for a couple hours today behind the old phaser and then my mother stuffed us full of food befofe heading home. Always a good time at the farm!!

pattergrub

Reaction score
sorry to hear about all the mishaps, that sux. nice pics catmando. glad me and my girl stayed on the lake. Its her first year so im trying to take it easy with her for now. the warm weather and snow this week should help with the base

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
sorry to hear about all the mishaps, that sux. nice pics catmando. glad me and my girl stayed on the lake. Its her first year so im trying to take it easy with her for now. the warm weather and snow this week should help with the base

Hey Pattergrub were the guy that came to Catmandos rescue???

pattergrub

Reaction score
yup that was me - cant wait til the weekend im hoping a buddy can join with me if he gets his tach sorted out

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the area on Saturday, around 1.5 feet of loose snow. As posted before, definitely no base. Was 12 of us and we were lucky, no damaged machines. Good ride though, hopefully this warm weather will settle the snow a bit.

diggers

Reaction score
would like to bring the fam damly (3 boys 6,8,9)one of these weekends. is there only lake riding? is ther trails? hills? coulies? fields?

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Diggers

I have had a cabin at the lake since 1983 and I don't think there is a nicer area in the northeast. There is all you could ask for, you just have to come out and explore. The ski hill is as good as any in the G.E.Area, the ice fishing is great in the north end narrows, we received another 6 inchs of snow yesterday totalling about 2 feet now, no avalanches here, bring the family out and have a ball.

The trails are not groomed, but there is plenty of them, bring your compass and venture out a little further every time you come.

Good Luck
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Can the local riding get any better !!!!!

The trails are great, a little rough close to the lake but get away and everything is good. The roads have been cleared so prepare to go slow and do a little ditch diving to cool the sliders.

The wife and I travelled south yesterday, every lake had top water so stay close to the shore, keep your eye out for the depressions in the snow that will be where it is very wet.

Heading to Windy lake cabin today, nice 50 km ride

Have a good one, ride safe

Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Well the ride to the cabin was a miss, all the roads are hard packed and in the area of the cabin a Cat his cleared it to dirt, a Service rig must be coming in.

Be carefull at the north end of Long Lake, the top water is the worst I have ever seen, I got the LOOK from the wife when we went through it, but it was plus 9 the sun was shinning and all is well.

Have a good week, play safe, it looks like back to the deep freeze for next weekends riding.

Don

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone sled the trails around Long Lake this last weekend and how are they after the heat wave?:feedback:

Apex162

Reaction score
The trails should be set-up now, need a good dump of snow and should be great. Lots of water on the ice, keep moving fast to avoid getting stuck.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out today rode in the white mud valley and on the north end of long lake and up on the east side of the lake. On the north end of the lake some flood water on the west side, the trails are pounded out. but did still find some hills and some fresh snow to play in. Had a good day made 45 miles.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A group of us are heading out on Friday. How are the conditions, is the pipeline roughed up?

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have got about 3 inches on snow this week.

There is still some untouched snow on the pipeline.

Top Bottom