Lock lube......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here most trusted S&M'ers........

I have a lock on the back of my truck that ices up to the point that I can't unlock it and remove the ramp. I will buy a new handle to replace the lock next week.

In the meantime, I have taken the lock out, thawed it and I am wondering what can I put in for lubricant that will keep the water out but not be too stiff for the pins to drop into the grooves on the key? Thanks, fs

IMG_2650.jpg

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe spray it with some sort of lock deicer and let it sit inside for a while and dry. then when u reinstall it put a dab of vaseline on the keyhole.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think that any lubricant that you put on the lock will help??? Maybe look at using a different type of lock, that has a protect cap that covers where the key goes in. I have had good luck, with puck locks on my sled trailer. But I also keep them over lubed with WD-40

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. If I use a grease of some sort, I'm thinking it will get too thick in the cold. The vaseline may work to plug the hole. This is where the moisture gets in while driving on the wet road. If I lived in a place where it was cold all the time and there was no thawing, I'd be okay. Yes, a different lock with the protective cap would have been a great idea but what you see is what I got with the deck.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The next time you are in town, spent 5 bucks and buy a lock with a protective cap ;)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hahahaha........it is hard on a fixed income but you have probably heard all that BS before!
If I never worked with you for a day, and stayed at your house...... I would believe the "fixed income BS" :D

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kroil! Best stuff on the planet. It's gonna get all over your key every time you unlock it though.

Next best thing like a few others have said is Fluid Film. Again, it's gonna mess up your key every time, and it will stiffen up a bit when it gets cold enough to make old guys like us stay home anyway. :D

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was told by a locksmith many years ago to never use anything in locks that will attract dust/dirt( wd 40, oil, etc. )

only use dry graphite, anything else will gum up the lock.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was told by a locksmith many years ago to never use anything in locks that will attract dust/dirt( wd 40, oil, etc. )

only use dry graphite, anything else will gum up the lock.

Hmmmmmm. I believe I have some of that too. Have to try it in my Superclamp locks.

mtnrev

Reaction score
If nothing else get a micro jet butane torch to keep in your truck. Wouldn't take much to heat it up so you can unlock it.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to heat gun my friggan stock ram one. small torch would have been better cause i melted the handle.

Wd-40 means water displacing 40th formula.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. If I use a grease of some sort, I'm thinking it will get too thick in the cold. The vaseline may work to plug the hole. This is where the moisture gets in while driving on the wet road. If I lived in a place where it was cold all the time and there was no thawing, I'd be okay. Yes, a different lock with the protective cap would have been a great idea but what you see is what I got with the deck.

I use lubriplate in my trailer locks keeps water out, it's a lube that stays then same consistency at -40. Just reapply after you wash.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When Im in travel mode I put latch pins in and when parked for any length of time then the locks from warm truck cab go on. It is a small pain changing back and forth but never had a froze a lock yet.

Top Bottom