Living in Revelstoke

Jmill212

Reaction score
So I’m currently in Ontario and I got a 50% chance of getting a job with the City of Revelstoke as a mechanic. For the locals what’s it like to live in Revelstoke? I know it is expensive being a big tourist destination but what’s day to day life like? I plan on renting a small apartment for the first little while until I get more settled.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’m currently in Ontario and I got a 50% chance of getting a job with the City of Revelstoke as a mechanic. For the locals what’s it like to live in Revelstoke? I know it is expensive being a big tourist destination but what’s day to day life like? I plan on renting a small apartment for the first little while until I get more settled.
Auto tech??

Lots to do all year long, as far as outside activities

Lots of out of country people there lol

Can get revy stuck alot, meaning roads closed out of town east or west, for many reasons

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Housing is expensive although with the trying times right now more places are opening up for rentals. The city of Revelstoke at this point is shut down to essential services such as garbage and utilities.The town is a resort municipality and caters to tourism- outdoor adventure such as the ski hill , heli skiing and back country ski touring. Sledding is hugely popular also along with mountain biking and most every outdoor adventure is at your doorstep. Population is somewhere around 8000 but cell phone data suggests double that in winter. We have or should I say had many great restaurants in town but at this point many are closed or down to take out service because of the virus.We have growing pains because of the growth rate and demand for housing.( mostly infrastructure needs) It is five minutes to anywhere in town. We have have a huge mix of types of people from dreadlocks to regular working stiffs making their way in life. A lot of young families who have come here for the lifestyle, stayed and are struggling to make ends meet. I was born here and have seen the transition from a logging, mining and railroad town to a destination resort. Real estate prices are frightening - 650k for a starter home if one comes on the market it is usually snapped up and becomes a rental or at least a suite installed for help on the mortgage . Many houses have multiple tenants sharing with costs being around 700-800$ for a room plus utilities .

Last edited:

Jmill212

Reaction score
Auto tech??

Lots to do all year long, as far as outside activities

Lots of out of country people there lol

Can get revy stuck alot, meaning roads closed out of town east or west, for many reasons
Mechanic for the City, working on all the city vehicles. Loaders, graders, Plow trucks, pickups, mowers etc

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't live there but have family that does and spend a lot of time there for work interacting with my local coworkers. Some say that it can feel a bit isolating because of the large transient population ie you make connections with people and then they move on for the next season. The highways are certainly closed often but most everything you need is available in town. It snows a lot, seriously get a snowblower or plow. There is a housing shortage so get used to seeing people living in vans and RVs year round in or near public areas. Not much sun in the winter, if you aren't a skier or sledder getting up above the valley cloud your mood will take a turn for the worse. Gas is expensive. Access to outdoors is amazing and there is great camping north of town.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't live there but have family that does and spend a lot of time there for work interacting with my local coworkers. Some say that it can feel a bit isolating because of the large transient population ie you make connections with people and then they move on for the next season. The highways are certainly closed often but most everything you need is available in town. It snows a lot, seriously get a snowblower or plow. There is a housing shortage so get used to seeing people living in vans and RVs year round in or near public areas. Not much sun in the winter, if you aren't a skier or sledder getting up above the valley cloud your mood will take a turn for the worse. Gas is expensive. Access to outdoors is amazing and there is great camping north of town.

yup bring a shovel. :cool:Highways close pretty much every snowfall for avalanche shooting and subsequent cleanup and a lot of closures due to accidents and heavy traffic on our 1960’s highways along with poorly trained semi drivers and people who shouldn’t be on the road.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mosquito's are brutal in Revy, not as bad as Golden, but still bad. As soon as the sun goes down you are eaten alive.

I'm used to life in Fernie...I swear, some summers it seems like I did not get bit once. When I travel to other destinations, I'm are reminded of how good we have it in Fernie...hardly any bugs.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mosquito control in Revelstoke is administered by the Columbia Shuswap Regional District . The main problem we have with control is the fluctuating water levels created by the holding back and release of water at Castlegar , Revelstoke and Mica Dams . Ideal habitat is created when the water creeps up into grasslands and then later is released leaving multiple areas of standing water. Generally Vectobac larvicide is the product used that kills the larvae before they hatch. Some years it is more effective than others depending on water levels and amount of rain.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me mosquito's wasps and black or horse flys are the only reason I hate summer but enough to put it number 4 on my seasons list. I am a magnet for biting bugs.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me mosquito's wasps and black or horse flys are the only reason I hate summer but enough to put it number 4 on my seasons list. I am a magnet for biting bugs.

You to? Bugs love me! Sledding in February my uncle and my cousin and me stopped for a beer on the trail in valemount and I got a huge misquote bit on my forehead. My helmet scratched it all day lol.

Top Bottom