licence plate on sled

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty but not legal in Alberta.

True but at least it's displayed and not tucked under the seat or in a backpack. As I said in a previous post after being checked several times over the years it has never been a concern. Just another option for anyone trying to figure out where/how to mount it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
True but at least it's displayed and not tucked under the seat or in a backpack. As I said in a previous post after being checked several times over the years it has never been a concern. Just another option for anyone trying to figure out where/how to mount it.
Nice to see the ASA trail pass beside it too!

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this info is correct, if your sled or vehicle is registered in BC. I Was with keith at Boulder yesterday and th officer said and to recap what Keith pointed out is. You must follow the guidelines for the province you are registered in. If you are registered in Alberta then the bc law enforcement will require you mount your plate in the position it would be required in Alberta which is the front or back of the sled, and so forth for the other provinces. I turned my plate into a sticker and stuck it on the left side of tunnel which is allowed for bc registered sleds but because I'm not registered in bc and Alberta only has the metal plates it didn't pass. So for myself I'm not sure what I'm gonna do as I refuse to drill through the tunnel.

Good idea! Where did you get the sticker made?

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty but not legal in Alberta.

I'd be very surprised if anyone has ever got a ticket for having it on the tunnel instead of on back.
Mine is in the same spot on side of tunnel & I've been stopped quite a few times out on Sylvan Lake - never had an issue.

My bud has his on his side panel. Same thing - he's been stopped and had no issues (it's actually holding the panel together now after his primary detonated).

Not having it displayed at all is another issue. I'd rather explain why I put it in "the wrong spot" than to try to explain why I didn't bother at all.

IMG_0038.JPG

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rules

• Registration papers may be obtained from any licensing and registry agent.
  • The minimum age required to register a snowmobile is 18 years.
  • A licence plate must be securely attached in a visible location on the front or rear of the snowmobile.

littlehoe

Reaction score
In sask since there is no predrilled holes in the tunnel or large enough area for the plate in the lower left-hand side towards the rear our regs let us just have it with us...

(b) notwithstanding section 37 of
The Vehicle Administration Act
, either:
(i) the identification number plate or registration permit is displayed
on the lower left-hand side toward the rear of the snowmobile; or
(ii) if it is not practicable to display the permit on the snowmobile due to
the design of the snowmobile, the permit is carried by:
(A) the owner, if the owner is operating the snowmobile or
supervising the operation of the snowmobile; or
(B) the person in immediate charge of the snowmobile.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In sask since there is no predrilled holes in the tunnel or large enough area for the plate in the lower left-hand side towards the rear our regs let us just have it with us...

(b) notwithstanding section 37 of
The Vehicle Administration Act
, either:
(i) the identification number plate or registration permit is displayed
on the lower left-hand side toward the rear of the snowmobile; or
(ii) if it is not practicable to display the permit on the snowmobile due to
the design of the snowmobile, the permit is carried by:
(A) the owner, if the owner is operating the snowmobile or
supervising the operation of the snowmobile; or
(B) the person in immediate charge of the snowmobile.

Well, give it to the Saskatchewan government for actually having something that makes sense. You would think that common sense should prevail for Alberta but in this case it surely does not. I am going to mount my plate to my track so at least some of the time I will be legal.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a great idea you'll always be legal while the track is spinning.Sometimes it will be faceing the front some times the back.
Well, give it to the Saskatchewan government for actually having something that makes sense. You would think that common sense should prevail for Alberta but in this case it surely does not. I am going to mount my plate to my track so at least some of the time I will be legal.

Top Bottom