Lessons learned the hard way...

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I learned a lesson the hard way.

I know i'm supposed to wear all my gear when I ride, but this past weekend I thought "Ah, im just testing one little jump. I dont need to throw on all my gear if I'm just doing one measly little pass....."

So off I go, about to try a small gap double into a larger gap double. I was riding a friends bike and wearing his helmet, but no riding pants, and no boots. Just the shorts i was wearing and the old skate shoes i was using to run the bobcat.

Three things went wrong, and three big lessons were learned all at once.

3. Don't use an unfamiliar bike to test unfamiliar obsticles.
2. Pay attention. I wasn't focusing enough on what I was doing.
#1 ALWAYS RIDE WITH PROTECTIVE FOOTWEAR!!!

I was on an unfamiliar bike so i just had no idea this bike had trouble shifting from second to third gear. By the time I was in flight, i just did NOT have the speed to clear the first double. I came up short by 2 feet and cased HARD!

Today I am nursing 2 very sore ankles, and to be honest, knowing that I am a better and smarter rider than to let that happen hurts ten times worse. From now on I will NEVER ride withought throwing on all my gear first.

Anyone else ever learn a lesson the hard way?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i learned at the tender age of 14 not to do Chinese fire drills from a moving vehicle, no matter how slow it is going....
This past weekend I learned a lesson the hard way.

I know i'm supposed to wear all my gear when I ride, but this past weekend I thought "Ah, im just testing one little jump. I dont need to throw on all my gear if I'm just doing one measly little pass....."

So off I go, about to try a small gap double into a larger gap double. I was riding a friends bike and wearing his helmet, but no riding pants, and no boots. Just the shorts i was wearing and the old skate shoes i was using to run the bobcat.

Three things went wrong, and three big lessons were learned all at once.

3. Don't use an unfamiliar bike to test unfamiliar obsticles.
2. Pay attention. I wasn't focusing enough on what I was doing.
#1 ALWAYS RIDE WITH PROTECTIVE FOOTWEAR!!!

I was on an unfamiliar bike so i just had no idea this bike had trouble shifting from second to third gear. By the time I was in flight, i just did NOT have the speed to clear the first double. I came up short by 2 feet and cased HARD!

Today I am nursing 2 very sore ankles, and to be honest, knowing that I am a better and smarter rider than to let that happen hurts ten times worse. From now on I will NEVER ride withought throwing on all my gear first.

Anyone else ever learn a lesson the hard way?

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
know what is on the other side..if there is another side to the bag ars hill//oh ya..bikes cant fly that far unmannedand the are hard to find in deep bush:eek:

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
know what is on the other side..if there is another side to the bag ars hill//oh ya..bikes cant fly that far unmannedand the are hard to find in deep bush:eek:

Gettin into the rum a bit early today Gforce? haha:d

Dadbro

Reaction score
I can relate. I wrode an unfamilliar bike with no safety gear just a helmet. I Jumped on RM 250 bolted across the field and then hit a little ditch, causing me to do a endoo and almost breaking my back. I laid in the field for over half a hour. and could barely move for the next week.
Leason learned..

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was dirtbiking and came home muddy so I washed the bike and instead of putting on proper footware to kick start it, I decided to try in the wet sandles i was wearing, long story short, bruised ankle bone, black ankle and couldn't walk for a week.

Lesson Learnt.

Top Bottom