Lay Offs

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure all those things come into factor. Shortest distance between two points has always been a straight line.

Ya and Alberta is a province in Canada too. Thanks for stating the obvious once again Mr.Tips

How do we get a pipeline from AB to the Pacific without crossing mountains and rivers again? Maybe NIMBY Tom can enlighten us greasy patch hands

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya and Alberta is a province in Canada too. Thanks for stating the obvious once again Mr.Tips

How do we get a pipeline from AB to the Pacific without crossing mountains and rivers again? Maybe NIMBY Tom can enlighten us greasy patch hands

I can ask you the same question, how do you get a pipeline to the pacific without crossing mountains and rivers? Its your problem, not ours. Its up to you to solve those problems, not us. You also forgot having a terminal off a coast and up a 140km inlet where supertankers are banned because it is in some of the most dangerous waters on earth.

Once again, the logistics are near impossible, so please enlighten me as to why it is our problem?

I fully understand the need for pipelines out of Alberta, but I dont understand why the attitude is BC should bend over and take it up the a$$ because it is something you need. Even Harper who originally was going to shove it down BC's throat finally realized the plan was asinine and backed off.

Why dont some of you "greasy patch hands" figure out a way to make a reasonable pipeline rather than thinking the rest of the country owes you the right to fawk up our provinces with utterly ridiculous plans like the northern gateway project.

For the naysayers, we have an oil pipeline already passing within 1 km of my property and a refinery within 15 km's of my home. So I guess Im still allowed to use fossil fuels.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were selling a product wouldn't you want to get it to market the shortest route possible?
When the shortest route is littered with almost impossible obstacles, then you might just want to find an alternate route. If they would have spent some time with another plan they may have been turning sod already. As it stands now, Northern Gateway is dead.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
<snip>

Northern Gateway is dead.

It was never alive, energy east makes more sense to me. Eastern Canada buys American oil.

“Most Canadians don’t realize, with the abundance of oil we have here in Canada, we still import almost 700,000 barrels a day into Atlantic Canada and the East Coast refineries,” said Greg Stringham, VP oil sands for the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

U.S. oil exports spike – and most of it comes to Canada | Globalnews.ca

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off Northern Gateway is not dead. There will be a line one day, might be called something different but one day there will be another pipeline that reaches the west coast. Secondly it makes total sense in the preliminary stages to run the proposal in a straight line to make the "recommended" changes in order to get a final approval. One day there will be a line.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder if Peace River will survive the latest round....was down there a few days ago and it's a graveyard. usually there are a bunch of pieces sitting there either repaired or waiting for repairs

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sparwood Finning got hit HARD. 40 people lost their jobs. shop is shutting down by year end. All mechanics will be in the field only. Parts and sales will be moved to a undetermined location somewhere in the elk valley by mid 2016..When the shop closes then possibly more cuts

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Luck.
Hope you make it through.
Medicine Hat shop is closing too.
ANOTHER huge beautiful building will be empty and for sale.
This city is now a ghost town.............

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Sorry to hear Luck.

Yup, between here and Redcliff, you can have almost any building you want. Funny though that will the massive vacancies we still cannot get our greedy landowners to drop their rental rates.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Luck.
Medicine Hat, Lloydminster, Sparwood, and Edmonton used parts.

They already closed a handful or more in BC earlier this year

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones for sure and with 30 years in I am on the top of the senority list
Sorry to hear Luck.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, between here and Redcliff, you can have almost any building you want. Funny though that will the massive vacancies we still cannot get our greedy landowners to drop their rental rates.

They will you just wait and see . It's only been a few months but by spring it will be a biding war. IMO
Tenants may have to move but it will happen.
In GP the rates are being negotiated to follow the oil price so to speak.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will you just wait and see . It's only been a few months but by spring it will be a biding war. IMO
Calgary down town office space is at $29.50/sqft lowest it's ever been in years. Over 2mil ft of available office space for immediate occupancy. Many existing tenants are sub leasing at half their cost to recoup empty space costs.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

You would *think* it would go this way, but even when we had the big slowdown in 08/09 we never saw rents come down. The majority of our rental and commercial buildings are owned by a small group of realtors here in town, and their philosophy is that if they discount one building, it will affect ALL of their buildings. Of course as a renter, I feel if they got a reduced rent, it still makes more sense than NO rent...they however have not seen it the same way. We have some major buildings for sale and rent in the Hat and Redcliff and the majority are still being advertised at $11/ft2 where $4-$6 would be the going rate anywhere else. $8 grand for a 2 bay shop is not feasible in good times, let alone whatever this is now...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
That's what I thought . It is a group that is keeping prices up.
Good for them but this time is going to be way worse than 08/09.
Hope they have deep pockets.
That was a levelling off and no down turn.
Time will tell I guess . Have been in the oil and gas since 1979 and this one stinks like 1979-80. IMO
Only thing this time is interest rates are low.
Going to be tough for folks that are carrying big payments.

Top Bottom