Lay Offs

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
supposed to be a pile of work coming up in grande cache!

within the next couple of weeks, new pipelines etc

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the counter point to that, the people who are foolish with their money and do not see the need for protection so they opt out, then get blindsided by a layoff, have no reserve funds and are screwed. They head strait for the welfare office. Either way they have an out, might as well collect from them in the form of EI deductions.
Heard if they go to farewell office you have to sell your chit before they will help. Also if i paid into the Ui system for years i am surely entitled to the little they give ya,and yes i got railroaded also after 14yrs with the same company but hey life will go on and i will find something else for sure. That is just the way i was brought up to work for what u have and if you get laid off you find something else and carry on. IMO

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I agree the EI system should be more like insurance however not in the sense that rates go up but more in the sense that eligibility is more closely tied to contribution. My father worked for 35 years uninterrupted, paid into EI every one of those 35 years and when his position was eliminated he qualified for 12 weeks, and that was in New Brunswick so geography is not the only factor industry must play a part as well. I think that for someone who has no claims record they should be able to claim for up to 1 year, for those who regularly or habitually claim they should be capped. I'm not sure how much it matters... back in my seasonal construction days I claimed EI 3 months of each year and paid back EVERY PENNY come tax time so essentially it was a loan to help ends meet in a short term.

But my dad only qualifying for 12 after 35 years is bullchit..... the trades working in Ft.Mac and then heading east I would assume many if not most have to pay back 100%. I don't see EI as a huge issue overall it is capped at $4??/week and is termed so not enough for most to live on and a short term fix before they have to find work.

Welfare burns my azz....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the EI system should be more like insurance however not in the sense that rates go up but more in the sense that eligibility is more closely tied to contribution. My father worked for 35 years uninterrupted, paid into EI every one of those 35 years and when his position was eliminated he qualified for 12 weeks, and that was in New Brunswick so geography is not the only factor industry must play a part as well. I think that for someone who has no claims record they should be able to claim for up to 1 year, for those who regularly or habitually claim they should be capped. I'm not sure how much it matters... back in my seasonal construction days I claimed EI 3 months of each year and paid back EVERY PENNY come tax time so essentially it was a loan to help ends meet in a short term.

But my dad only qualifying for 12 after 35 years is bullchit..... the trades working in Ft.Mac and then heading east I would assume many if not most have to pay back 100%. I don't see EI as a huge issue overall it is capped at $4??/week and is termed so not enough for most to live on and a short term fix before they have to find work.

Welfare burns my azz....

And on top of that apprentices can claim EI when in school, what they don't tell you is the first 2 weeks is still a waiting period, so @ $464 a week (max after tax amount) most guys are out almost $1G, which isn't necessarily easy to stomach especially when taking 2 months off work, not to mention you get to pay 30% of it back come tax time if you make over $61k in that year.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully support apprentices getting EI in school and they shouldnt have the two week waiting period nor pay back the tax.
Apprentices are the future of our industry and we sure the hello need qualified trades people.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

linktel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I went though the apprenticeship we were a family of 4 and I hadn't taken my holiday pay and got into quite an agreement with the EI lady, my wages were $6.50 per hour and we were saving that to live on during the waiting period. I had a great small employer at the time and he filled our car with gas. I don't remember how much money we got for EI but is was just enough to scrimp by. That's the only time that I have receive EI.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
And on top of that apprentices can claim EI when in school, what they don't tell you is the first 2 weeks is still a waiting period, so @ $464 a week (max after tax amount) most guys are out almost $1G, which isn't necessarily easy to stomach especially when taking 2 months off work, not to mention you get to pay 30% of it back come tax time if you make over $61k in that year.

Pay 30% back. I collected the max (which I believe is up to $504.50 a week now) every time I went to school comes out to a total of 4k while collecting..... And paid close to 3k back at tax time

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay 30% back. I collected the max (which I believe is up to $504.50 a week now) every time I went to school comes out to a total of 4k while collecting..... And paid close to 3k back at tax time

They say 30% on the website, I haven't had to pay yet I just finished school a week ago, i do know if you get grants or scholorships that is also taxable income, so ill get dinged there too. Max is $524 right now, minus the $60/week in tax is $464/week which is what I got. I guess I'll find out in March for sure though.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm just going to apply for EI, see how it goes for me, and try to get as much work done on the farm as i can in the mean time. Lots of work to do, work on my truck, cv axles, axle seals, oil cooler seals, rear axle seal, ball joints, wheel bearings, then on my other truck, the shift linkage seal, sway bar links, find that god awful clang from the front end when i hit a bump.

My track loader i need to change the bolts on the corner adapters for the teeth, calibrate the track speeds, and then change some oil.

Tune my truck for towing efi live.

Burn a bunch of old bins, dig holes with my track loader, hopefully get some work for it to help pay for it.

Bring the cattle back home, ween the yearlings, sell the yearlings blah blah blah list goes on.

Anyone a heavy duty mechanic around Weyburn/Regina area who needs some cash on the side? Might need some help on my loader.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Shell thing is true, but in March they suspended future planned work at Carmon Creek so they could re structure bids since the economy was taking a nosedive. everything was bid years ago when things were balls to the wall out in that Seal Lake area. they wanted contractors that had won the bids to re do everything to get prices down. I know there were some unhappy people when that happened, so I kind of think Shell knew back in March that Carmon Creek was gonna be shelved. I bet they are just deflecting by saying the issue is pipeline capacity. $45 dollar oil just isn't profitable enough
That is true Carmon Creek was basicaly dead a year ago. Engineering was done in New Orleans and was a real cock up. We stopped in the spring did a review and took 2.5 billion out but by then price is down and provincial and federal politics have come into play. The money will be invested elsewhere in the world. This is the second time it has been canceled. Last time was 2009.

HILCLMR

Reaction score
Take a look at future oil price predictions, some say by March as low as $28 bbl, others say the same. Fact is when these companies presell their oil at barely $50 bbl then that tells you its not going to get better. Only worse as more and more layoffs happen , projects get shut down.
If you need more proof look at the Canadian dollar predictions. Not promising at all, if you need stuff from the states better buy it now.
The time has come to get out of energy, it will always be around, just not to what we have seen. This is no longer a "Market Correction" it's our new reality.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet if the oil prices drop to 28 the price at the pump won't go down much!
It Will go up at the pump.

Note: "Contents of this forum have been read by the CIA, FBI, IRS, BATF, DHS, NSA, TSA, EPA, BLM, MSNBC, CrTC, FEDS, ADMINS &MODS. There is absolutely NO expectation of privacy."

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think EI should be set up as a true insurance. If you have never made a claim your premiums should shrink to nothing. If you use it as a financial planning tool then your premiums should reflect that as well. Just like car insurance. This might encourage a little more personal responsibility instead of the entitlement mentality that it creates now. Instead of paying ridiculous premiums into it all your life to fund people that abuse it, have premiums quickly shrink once you have "paid your dues". So now when the average hard working guy gets laid off he will have a decision to make......do I live off my savings, or do I have no other choice but to apply for EI, knowing that it will reset your premiums to a higher amount. The nice thing about doing it this way is it wouldnt be too hard to set it up in a manner where it would only be used by people that truly have no other choice. And I think that is great to have systems like that. Its just a matter of setting them up so people arent able to abuse them.

I'd vote for you deaner

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I lost my job on Wednesday and on Thursday I was employed again. I got lucky that a former coworker of mine was looking for another mechanic for his equipment repair business. With that said, if anyone is looking to have some equipment repaired at a non dealer-bend-you-over rate, shoot me a message. We do everything from basic maintenance to complete overhauls along with welding and fabrication, in shop or in the field.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at future oil price predictions, some say by March as low as $28 bbl, others say the same. Fact is when these companies presell their oil at barely $50 bbl then that tells you its not going to get better. Only worse as more and more layoffs happen , projects get shut down.
If you need more proof look at the Canadian dollar predictions. Not promising at all, if you need stuff from the states better buy it now.
The time has come to get out of energy, it will always be around, just not to what we have seen. This is no longer a "Market Correction" it's our new reality.

Yes things are going to be slow for a while, likely a few years, but oil prices will recover, the world has not found a way to live without it, and as wells deplete we'll have to drill more, build more pipeline, plants, refineries, etc. I think people stand to make huge coin again when this recovers, on everything from oil stocks to real estate.

It's just like every boom and bust, when it's booming everyone thinks it will last forever, and the same when there's a recession. The objective here is to position yourself the best you can for when things recover.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is true Carmon Creek was basicaly dead a year ago. Engineering was done in New Orleans and was a real cock up. We stopped in the spring did a review and took 2.5 billion out but by then price is down and provincial and federal politics have come into play. The money will be invested elsewhere in the world. This is the second time it has been canceled. Last time was 2009.
they sure weren't letting onto anything other than it was going to be a go, there are more than a few companies here that were heavily invested in 5-7 years of "guaranteed" work. one guy I went to school with who has a pretty successful safety outfit (medic units, safety supplies, training center) built a huge camp near the Peace River airport banking on incoming workers staying there. he must have spent a few million to see it sitting empty.

lots of folks here were spending like there was no tomorrow.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they sure weren't letting onto anything other than it was going to be a go, there are more than a few companies here that were heavily invested in 5-7 years of "guaranteed" work. one guy I went to school with who has a pretty successful safety outfit (medic units, safety supplies, training center) built a huge camp near the Peace River airport banking on incoming workers staying there. he must have spent a few million to see it sitting empty.

lots of folks here were spending like there was no tomorrow.

Every intention to buid it was there. Once the engineering was moved to Alberta and things were being done with an alberta design rather than an offshore design it was looking good and then the bottom fell out and all hell broke loose. It is hitting a lot of buiness in a tough way.
A lot of people dont believe investment will go elsewhere but with the political climate we have now it going to be a long haul.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow , where are all the NDP supporters now ? I heard ; a lot of the big companies are bluffing, they won't shut this or that down , they will never move operations somewhere else....!!

It is time dam well time knothead did something ! Holy crap is she just going to sit there and say ohh well and spend more borrowed money that she does not have .... Now is the time you cut a tax deal with the large oil companies as a show of good faith.... They pay you back when times turn around. Desperate times call for action, by not doing anything she is sending a VERY clear message...!!

Building new bridges and sewers is wonderful , but how much $$$ in royalties come in to government revenue from them!
I am very concerned that in our haste to dispatch Redford (worst premier in Canada By the way) we may have missed a great
Opportunity to get back on track with Prentice !

Knothead is in over her head : why can some one who knew oil prices were sliding when elected, not see the shortfall and yet STILl bring in a budget that missed there calculations !!!! AFTER all that time had passed , you still miss your own mark ...wow

As one of the older guys on here who has seen this a time or 3 in two provinces ..
be careful , very careful... This could be a game changer , and not in a god way..
Hang on its going to be a hell of a ride for a while...

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Wow , where are all the NDP supporters now ? I heard ; a lot of the big companies are bluffing, they won't shut this or that down , they will never move operations somewhere else....!!

It is time dam well time knothead did something ! Holy crap is she just going to sit there and say ohh well and spend more borrowed money that she does not have .... Now is the time you cut a tax deal with the large oil companies as a show of good faith.... They pay you back when times turn around. Desperate times call for action, by not doing anything she is sending a VERY clear message...!!

Building new bridges and sewers is wonderful , but how much $$$ in royalties come in to government revenue from them!
I am very concerned that in our haste to dispatch Redford (worst premier in Canada By the way) we may have missed a great
Opportunity to get back on track with Prentice !

Knothead is in over her head : why can some one who knew oil prices were sliding when elected, not see the shortfall and yet STILl bring in a budget that missed there calculations !!!! AFTER all that time had passed , you still miss your own mark ...wow

As one of the older guys on here who has seen this a time or 3 in two provinces ..
be careful , very careful... This could be a game changer , and not in a god way..
Hang on its going to be a hell of a ride for a while...

*Notley

Top Bottom