Lawnmower oil chg every 5yrs?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
John Deere zero turn. Oil change every spring

I always do mine in the fall. Have always wondered which is better. Old oil sitting in the engine all winter, or brand new oil coating everything but it sits all winter and possibly gets some condensation

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last lawnmower i finally got the idea to change oil. I undid the oil plug and one black gooey drop came out, i though i had the wrong plug! I usually ran mixed gas that may have saved the motor from dying years back, but the motor calved that same year i changed the oil anyway. I now change oil every year in the lawn mower, I am sure the motor will last 3 times longer now.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always do mine in the fall. Have always wondered which is better. Old oil sitting in the engine all winter, or brand new oil coating everything but it sits all winter and possibly gets some condensation

my line of thinking is that I change it in the fall before putting it away for the season. Let it sit with clean oil. I suspect that the old oil has contaminants that may be corrosive over time. Snow blower gets oil change in the spring before putting away for the season.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm lets see its 15 years old i have never changed the oil or plug or done any maintenance to it burred under 6 foot of snow in the winter and it starts by the second pull every time.. It finally died last year final cut of the year.. The body was rotten and the front wheels fell off... Still runs like a top

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm lets see its 15 years old i have never changed the oil or plug or done any maintenance to it burred under 6 foot of snow in the winter and it starts by the second pull every time.. It finally died last year final cut of the year.. The body was rotten and the front wheels fell off... Still runs like a top

each to their own

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change oil and sea foam as required . Parked inside or covered .
Not rich like some of you fellas and maintance is cheap . Lol

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They say in fall.. so condensation and acids from combustion do not sit in the engine all year.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CT gas powered power washer was getting so hard to pull start figgered she was done

changed oil and it pulls over way easier now but the old briggs & scrap-iron smokes like bugger now

Last edited:

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
each to their own

haha yep... i figure this thing cost me less than a $1 a month over the last 15 years and it still runs except the deck rotted out it was used when i bought it... now if this was a riding lawn mower yes it would be getting regular maint just like all my other toys and veh where i do the services before they are due and i don't cheap out on the products i use...

If you look at the new push mowers the most of the brands are being advertised as never having to change the oil...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I did mine 3 years ago. Snowblower gets more love, it's more important.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a cheap push mover nothing fancy. I break it in with the oil it comes with, then change it out with really good synthetic oil and never worry about it again. Now if I had an expensive riding mower I would change it every fall.

Top Bottom